United States
RhodyCo.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 2s
Overall Rank = 826/2670
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 25/122
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am. Ate some oatmeal and drove to Fleet Feet to catch a ride with Justin and Jeff.
Event warmup:

Jogged for 5" before the start. Definitely wasn't a good warmup, but I had been warned to take it easy on the first mile for fear of the second.
Run
  • 1h 05m 2s
  • 7.51 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it slow the first mile. Did fine although breathing somewhat hard on the steep uphill second mile, but the excitement of the flatness of the bridge I went to hard and it cost me in the end. I wasn't able to pick it up in the end, but I also think that had to do with the fact I was hungry.
What would you do differently?:

Eat more for breakfast. Carry water with me if the day is as beautiful as it was this year. Carry a camera. Do it with a friend and possibly take my sweet time. This course was hard but amazingly beautiful. I do it again today if my knees would allow me. My favorite part of San Fran is really its neighbor Saulsilito with the Marin headlands and the bay. The wind and the smell of salt water. I'll do it again next year just wait. I might do a few more hill workouts before hand though. The downhill was actually harder on the knees than the up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the expo, tried to stretch while we were standing in one spot. But I was with a group of non-stretchers. It was the first time I really got to hang out with the group from work. Who knows I might join the racing team. I think they need one more slow person, J/K. Anyway FF racing team showed up in force I think there were 10 of them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Food, not enought I mean any hill workouts so far this season. But I've decided I'm doing this for fun. I've got too many other things going on to try to be the best at everything.

Event comments:

Everyone has to do this race. It's gorgeous!!! The volunteers were awesome. I would have liked an aid station on the bridge, but I think that is asking too much. They had a billion volunteers. It seemed like each water station had at least 20 people manning it.

Last updated: 2005-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:05:02 | 07.51 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/122
Overall: 826/2670
Performance:
My Garmin said the course was 7.78 miles. Which it felt like. By the halfway point I was .22 miles longer than the marked course. The guys thought the course was long too. Who knows. If so my split would have been around 8:24. The first mile was 9:00 and it went from there.
Course: Mile 1. DOWNHILL road Mile 2. UPHILL road Mile 3-5 Fast across the bridge Mile 6 Slow on gravel path with turnaround on road. The last 1/2 mile was evilly up hill. with a short downhill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-03-20 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Emerald Nuts Across the Bay 12K

2006-03-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #374316

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Emerald Nuts Across the Bay 12K
Good Job! I was wondering which race was going through the Presidio yesterday morning...now I know!
2006-03-20 3:38 PM
in reply to: #374316

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Emerald Nuts Across the Bay 12K
Great job, Jessi! I'm glad to hear it went well.

If 8:40 avg min/mi for a hilly 7.5mi run is slow, then I must be standing still! Looks like you placed solidly FOMOP, if not BOFOP.

Sounds like a beautiful race. I love Marin and Sausalito too. Nice that you had a team of friends to drive with and hang out with. The FF racing team are a bunch of studs and studettes!

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Nuts Across the Bay 12K Rss Feed