J&A Productions
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 41m 31s
Overall Rank = 298/410
Age Group = Men 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed up way too late prepping gear and only got 2hrs of sleep. For breakfast I had 2 hardboiled eggs, bacon, buttered toast, bananas and lots of water spread over the 2 hours to drive in. Dropped off my bike at 6AM, in wetsuit at 6:30 and ready to go for 7AM race. Man, was I nervous for my first triathlon!
Event warmup:

Couldn't find wife in crowd to give glasses to so I didn't get in the water until 4mins before deep water start. I should have stored them with my bike gear, oh well. This was my first time in a wetsuit and first time in a lake! I did however do a lot of stretching and mental rehearsing to get into the right frame of mind. That helped out.
Swim
  • 35m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not only was that suit fast, I got too caught up in pushing my stroke long and hard and tried too hard to keep up with the people around me. I thought I was pacing well and not over-doing it. I was drafting great and had people on the sides of mee the whole time so navigation was a breeze. I hit the first buoy way too close and got a little squeezed in the turn but cut the others slightly wide and had no problems.
What would you do differently?:

Nerves killed me. I went out way too fast. The sleeveless wetuit was awesome. I had no shoulder rotation issues and the cold was not that bad. All my pool training I purposely did not use my legs much to simulate the race and instead on race day I kicked like crazy. My legs were rubber out of the water, I took it extra slow up the ramp. I walked the whole way to the bike and should of ran a little. I think I needed some training using my legs in the water to build up more calve endurance?
Transition 1
  • 12m 6s
Comments:

My wife was there to hand me my glasses and I actually stopped for a few secs to chat. Geez, get back into the race?

Practice getting the wetsuit off! Even though I had plenty of bodyglide everywhere, I could not wiggle out of that thing. Next time I will use the volunteers to help pull me out! I also needed to swim slower and not use my legs as much. My calves where already getting tight so I took a few minutes to stretch.
Bike
  • 3h 31m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.86 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills and headwind sucked the life out of me. I think it was more mental than anything. And needing to pee in the first 30min put pressure on my bladder when I was tucked. The aero bars where great! Without them the wind would have killed me even more. But I lost a lot always having to shift my downtube shifters. Early cadence was low and standing on the hills to crank through pushed my legs too hard. Keeping it 90-100 on the 2nd half saved me from cramping.

I drank too much in T1. The small cog on my 12speed absolutely worked me! After about half way I couldn't get off the seat on the hills without my quads cramping, so I lost a lot of momentum. I need a newer aero wheelset with some better gears and indexed shifting on the aero bar. Some extra training with a strong headwind would be helpful. And a lighter that 22lb steel frame bike would be nice. AND everything was working just fine the day before the race, them on mile 26 my heart rate monitor dies. GEEZ!
Transition 2
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

They has a GREAT transition set up. You stopped, jumped off and they took your bike out of the shoot, called out your number and your gear was waiting for you on a chair in the changing tent. Then a volunteer help me through the entire transition. I mean they took my shoes off and bagged them and laid out my socks and running shoes. This was fantastic!

I took my time and since I had a helper and was seemingly in no rush. I should have went a little faster and cut the chit-chat with my new friend. BUT it was still great.
Run
  • 2h 16m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt rubbery as I started but got up to a seemingly good pace pretty quick. The first 6 miles where good. I though if by 8-9 I was still OK I could push for a strong finish since my training runs usually negative split. Then, WHAM-O! At the mile 8 aid station, as I started to pick it up after downing a banana my left knee buckled and a good deal of pain shot up my leg. UMMM, that's not good! I though maybe I twisted it on something? Trying to run a little over the next mile just hurt more, SO I sort of hobbled in the last few miles. Of course when you hear the cheers of the finish you get the gumption to run in no matter the pain and I finished to a surprising sub 7 hour time! I lost my stopwatch when my heart monitor went out.

Bodyglide on the underarms, they started chaffing. Never had that on a training run? My poor planning lead me to try to run in a new pair of running shoes. I paid for this BAD idea. But my new tri top I wore from the bike was great. I need one of those number straps so I dont's have to wear my number on the front of the bike shirt, slightly irritating. Also, since my heart monitor batt went dead I lost my pacing from the stopwatch, it would have been nice to know how fast I was moving.
Post race
Warm down:

None. I was way too excited to finish and with my family there I just got caught in the moment. It must have been fifteen minutes before I had my first drink. And with my knee I wasn't going anywhere fast. I should have stretched some. I did however promptly eat a sizeable lunch and get a great massage that helped out tremendously.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ate plenty but probably drank alittle too much too soon. But I would rather drink too much than too little. I needed to start taking in some salt earlier. It wasn't until maybe mile 9 of the run where I had some pretzels and felt much less fatiqued. My transitions could use some practice, especially the wetsuit. My motto was too just finish my first race rather that kill myself racing. And I did just that, my transitions where slow so not to rush and forget something important. It was all good. I learned to prep gear 2-3 days in advance, and this include fresh batterys in everything. Even my daughters Gameboy batt died on the trip in? I mean get everything together extra early. Everything just piled up all of a sudden at the last minute. Geez. Get a hotel at the event, a mere 2hr drive was a real drag. Also the pre-race registration was a nightmare and added to my ill-prep. Give this plenty of time and plan ahead for all concievable challenges. I missed the pre-reg info for droping your T2 gear off at registration, so I ran down to a local store and bought a new pair of Nikes since I live 3 hours away. In retrospect, the lack of adding my normal arch gel support probably contributed to my knee issue in those new shoes. GEEZ!

Event comments:

GREAT RACE. J&A Productions was FANTASTIC! All-in-all I LOVED my first race. My 6 months of traning went well and I felt it prepped me pretty well. I can't wait to sign up for another, but I think I will try a couple Oly distance races before another long one. No I can put that triathlete sticker on the back of my car. I wonder how Rich (westfried)did on his full CaliforniaMan triathlon. WOOOOHOOOOO!

Last updated: 2004-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:42 | 2112 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/410
Performance: Good
My heart was racing and my batt died on the bike course so ...
Suit: Quintana Roo UltraJohn sleeveless
Course: Great course! Deep water, mass start (all 700 racers) in Folsom lake, clean and clear. I could see the rocks on the bottom. We swam around huge orange buoy markers in a triangle shape, very easy to navigate with plenty of lifeguard assistance. They even had a helicopter. I started way in the back away from the crowded dock since this was my first race. The finish shoot was the same as the start, so it was easy to find. I loved the swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 12:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:31:52 | 56 miles | 15.86 mile/hr
Overall: 284/410
Performance: Below average
I noticed my heart pushing 165+ on hills since I was chargin hard early on, I changed strategy and saved my legs for later, good choice. I keep a 145-150 most of the time in the beginning. Then halfway, my heart monitor died, dead batt!
Wind: Headwind
Course: Very well marked, plenty of support, no traffic, no lights with awesome nutients every 5 miles. It was great having 2 cops stop 4 lanes of traffic to let little old me cross without even slowing down. However, this course killed me. The first few miles where very winding with many sharp turns and obstacles so you couldn't really race yet, Maybe that was a good thing? Early on and patches later it was VERY bumpy and my butt was not liking it at all. However, most of the corse was very smooth and awesome, but the headwind and bouts of rolling hills killed me on the second half. Mentally, 12mi/hr with wind in my face hurt but 25mi/hr with the tailwind on the way back was great.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 05:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:16:29 | 13.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 282/410
Performance: Below average
???
Course: Great course. Very well marked, scenic, varied, trees with shade for most. The sun broke the overcast and the trees helped out alot. VERY well stocked aid stations at every mile, with bathrooms and tons of staffers. Very top knotch.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-05-24 1:56 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Subject: Caliman Half

2004-05-24 7:33 AM
in reply to: #26729

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Caliman Half Triathlon
Wow, I'm so impressed with your 1/2 IM ! Since I can't even imagine running 13 mi at the same time, I think you did great. Congrats!
2004-05-24 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Great Job. Super race report! 1/2 ironman for your first race is something special!
2004-05-24 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Hey!

Wow!, 1/2 ironman right out of the gate!

My first was last month...a sprint...up where you were....at Folsom Lake...love the facilitiese up there.

Great job!

nt

2004-05-24 11:56 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

first tri and 1/2ironman!  great race...ON 2 HOURS OF SLEEP!  sleep is highly over-rated anyways...

2004-05-24 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey

Awesome job.  You should be proud of yourself. I can't imagine doing a half IM yet my legs are killing from my 10k. Thanks for sharing your great RR.

Kevin

2004-05-24 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
England
Incredible result, and your first race as well! Just thinking about >2000m swim makes me feel ill!
2004-05-24 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Way to go!!

I was right in your backyard, rafting the American River (ending in Folsom). Wasn't it a beee-autiful day?

Congrats, speedlee--I'm so inspired!!

Dana (also thanks for your enjoyable race report!)
2004-05-24 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Absolutely, positively great!! You should be very proud of completing a 1/2 IM. What an awesome accomplishment! How are you feeling now?
2004-05-25 12:35 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Thanks everyone for the awesome support. I absolutely loved my first race! With great weather, awesome staffing, little equipment issues, a challenging but not overwhelming distance and having a supportive family, I do feel very accomplished. I remember joining this group back in Dec with a dream of doing the IM distance first. But this site and a few training issues pushed me back and I am glad I did the half instead. I learned a lot about my training and the event itself. To everyone out there who is working towards their first event, just keep with the training and adapt to your individual challenges AND you will get there. Initial plans rarely go unchanged, some faimly members and friends just think your nuts, just don't give up.

Today, my muscles (legs and a little in the shoulders) are still slightly sore but nothing like I imagined. And my knee is almost back to normal. I will give it another few days before I run on it just to be sure and I am stretching a few times a day and drinking lots of fluids to aid my recovery. Mentally and emotionally I feel great. I just got back from the gym and lifecycled for 30mins and did a mile on the elliptical to get loose and all was good. I can't wait for my next one. I am still amazed...
2004-06-10 5:55 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
Great job, Speedlee! That was a tough course, and you did very well. And you learned a ton for next time.

First time or not, finishing that half IM under 7 hours is a great time. How 'bout that Scott Road? Uggh. You missed the fun that was White Rock Road east of Scott (where you turned left and full turned right) - there was a long gradual uphill and a screaming steep downhill on the way out, opposite on the way back. Great job doing the run so well. Remember, they're pushing the race back to October for '05, and are also dropping Scott Road from the course. See you then!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caliman Half Rss Feed