General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orlando, Florida
United States
www.buttar.com
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 55s
Overall Rank = 19/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/35-39
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15. Shower, eat egg-mc-winfough, loaded gear & bike in truck. Arrived at the venue ~6:00 am. Went through packet pickup and headed to the transition area. Got all set up.
Event warmup:

For warm up I got in the water and did a couple of laps of the swimming area to get acclimated to the water temperature. It was pretty cold, for me!
Swim
  • 15m 33s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was the worst portion of my race. For some reason I just seemed to struggle. I felt okay and I sighted the bouys good and I felt I rounded the bouys good, I had plenty of strength to freestyle the entire way but something just slowed me down. I did swallow lake water twice which caused me to stop and breast stroke. I don't know...I'm still going over it in my mind to see where I might have gone wrong.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swimming!!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I had a pretty fair transition. I had everything layed out except my socks. I forgot to unfold them so that took a few extra seconds. I got out of my wet suit pretty quickly, got my gear on and felt pretty good running with the bike to the road before I could start biking.

I was told to try removing my wetsuit in the water before I get out. It's supposed to help it come off easier. I didn't have that much problem with it honestly. If I had long johns then I'd consider it.
Bike
  • 36m 7s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't get clipped into my pedals very quickly so I am thinking of getting new pedals. I don't know if I passed any sprint racers but I did pass several people. I felt I did really well in keeping my cadance high and shifting gears went well.

I need to continue biking. More saddle time and work on my leg strength. I think there were sections of the course where I could have been at a higher gear and gone a bit faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Transition was pretty good. Racking my bike went well and changing into running shoes went smoothly. I forgot to remove my helmet so I had to return and take it off.

take off helmet! :)
Run
  • 21m 2s
  • 2.75 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

If the course was truely a 5K then I had a killer time and pace, actually a personal best for a 5K time for me. I had a pretty good stride and felt good on the entire run. No cramping occurred but I did become fatigued midway throught the second mile and had to

I thought I followed the course as marked but it could have been marked a bit better because there appeared to be runners that were coming from another road. The finish was pretty exciting. My new buddy Jeff passed me around the 2 mile mark and I couldn't just let him run away without a challenge. I sped up to stay with him and was able to back off to bring my HR down some. Finally, as we zipped through the woods for the finish line I started to sprint to make up the distance and was right on Jeff's heels. We both passed a guy right at the end and I had to go around him or I think I could have tied or passed Jeff. We'll never know. It was an awesome race b/c Jeff never looked back to see who it was coming up on him. He just knew someone was there and was going for it.

Not much. Aside from the course being better marked, my preparation and execution of the run was great. My HR was pretty high (170s) in zone 3 so more endurance training could help lower that but overall, I had a pretty good run.
Post race
Warm down:

very light stretching, and consuming water, Gatorade, bagle with peanut butter and 2 huge oranges. No other warm-down. I know, I should

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to swim fast in Lake Mary Jane. Something about the dark, murky water that created a mental road block which slowed me down.

Event comments:

Overall I really like this race course and the buttar organization. They put on a pretty nice race. The swim is always a daunting challenge for me because of the murky water but the course is layed out really nicely. The distance to run from the water to the transition is a bit much but I know things can't be perfect. The bike course this year was really nice. Smooth roads and pretty fast. There were lots of course workers until the run. The run course needed to be more clearly marked. I don't know if it's a lack of course workers at the turns, lack of course markings or what but the run course had some areas that were not clearly marked. Along the 2nd mile of the 5K course. I saw runners coming from another road where they shouldn't have been so either I went the wrong way or they did. I didn't pay that any attention because I was in my zone and wanted to finish strong, which I did.

Last updated: 2006-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:33 | 820 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/35-39
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: wet suit
Course: Triangle course. The lake was pretty cold dispite the race director announcing a 74 degree water temperature. There was very low visibility in the lake and on the last leg of the triangle there was no visibility.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:07 | 12.43 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/35-39
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course was pretty much flat. For the sprint it was one loop. Olympic distance had to do two loops. The course went out of Moss Park to Lake Mary Jane Road, out to the end of that road and turning left on to Roxane Dr. Left on to Lacebark Pine Rd. which snakes around and intersects with Capri Rd. Turn left on Capri Rd. and follow it back to Lake Mary Jane Rd. Turn right and head back towards Moss Park Rd. At the intersection of LMJ Rd. and Rambling Oak Blvd. Turn right. Follow that all the way to the end and around the traffic circle. It's a brand new road so there's no name in mapquest. Once around that road you are heading back out towards LMJ Rd. Once there, turn right on LMJ Rd. back to Moss Park Rd. Left on Moss Park Rd. to re-enter the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:02 | 02.75 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/35-39
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a big loop through the camping area at Moss Park. Very easy on the legs. Mostly shaded. The road was a dirt, gravel mix, hard pack.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-03-22 3:14 PM

User image

Brevard
Subject: Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

2006-03-23 7:16 PM
in reply to: #376865

User image

FL
Subject: RE: Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon
Great Job!

Sounds like you took the same turn on the run that I did when I was there for Saturday's race - I still don't know if it added or decreased distance to the run.

I'm planning on being back there for the October races, and might even try the Pineapple man if it fits into this summer's schedule. So many races to choose from...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed