Colon Cancer Coalition
32F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = 366/1152
Age Group = 30 - 39
Age Group Rank = 68/144
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 6:30 and had some oatmeal and went back to bed for a little extra sleep. Got up again at about 7:30 to get ready and drive to the race.
Event warmup:

Ran the 1/2 mile from the car to the start and milled about there for a while. I ended up being earlier than I'd expected so I did a couple more out and back runs of about 5 minutes each. I ran into a friend from college in the start area and chatted with her while hopping around trying to keep warm.
Run
  • 28m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The race strategy I'd gotten from Coach Mike worked beautifully. The strategy was mid-Z3 for the first mile, Z4 for the second, and whatever I could handle in the third. Check, check, and check. It was really fun to drop all those people who'd gone out like Ben Johnson from the start like 'roid assisted sprinters. I have to say that I'm really pleased by the splite times, too. I can't believe the last mile and change's pace was less than 8:00. I didn't know I was capable of that! It sure helped me to think about what my Aunt Judy and friend John are going through in their colon and rectal cancer treatments. My short-term physical pain in those last couple of miles is petty and insignificant compared to the horrors they've been experiencing. I really need to remember things like that EVERY time I race. My ability to do these sports, as mediocre as I may do them, is an absolute blessing and one that shouldn't be taken for granted.
What would you do differently?:

I think I might've gone a little harder for the first portions of the race. Maybe I'd push mile one to high Z3 and let mile 2 start flirting with the LT number. I felt I could've sustained that 191 - 193 range longer. I was happy and proud to have gas in the tank to haul a$$ on the last quarter mile, however. I just wish the lady in front of me hadn't slowed down as we were getting across the line and into the finisher's queue (they were collecting the tear-offs for results).
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, half a bagel, a banana, and a Pearson's Salted Nut Roll. YUM. Walked around for a while to cool down and did a little stretching back at the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, really. I had hoped to come in around 27:00 but I had forgotten that the parkway around the lake is not flat like the walking trail is. There was opportunity for significant HR spiking on the hills and I was trying to stick with my strategy. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it went. Found out that I was 249 of 531 in male overall. That's in the top half. DAMN!!! I'm really proud of that.

Event comments:

A very well organized race benefiting the Colon Cancer Coalition. Great race t-shirt. Its a black dri-fit long sleeve tee without too many ugly logos. I was also very happy to have raised $670 for the cause in only 7 days. Its not a lot but goes to show how willing people are to make contributions toward a worthy cause. I just hope that people are smart enough to get screened so that they don't have to battle like my friend and aunt have.

Last updated: 2006-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:15 | 03.11 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/144
Overall: 366/1152
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 10:00 - Avg. HR 179 Mile 2 - 9:27 - Avg. HR 188 Final 1.107 miles - 8:47 - Avg HR 192
Course: One loop around Lake Harriet on Lake Harriet Parkway. Pretty Hilly course. Three big hills and a few smaller. One hill less than 1/2 mile from finish. Very pretty course with the lake on one side and beautiful old homes on the other.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-26 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: Get Your Rear In Gear 5K

2006-03-26 9:17 PM
in reply to: #379698

Champion
Subject: RE: Get Your Rear In Gear 5K

Whoa nice job Tom!  Good pacing too, funny how coaches seem to know what works the best.  You sound like me...when I think I'm about to start whining about the pain in a race, I think of my wife and what she goes through every day.  Really puts the temporary race issues in perspective!!

Oh yeah, and next time you're rasing money like that, give me a "heads up" for sure.  Can I send you something for this one even though the race is over?

Edited by max 2006-03-26 9:19 PM
2006-03-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: #380005

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Thanks, Max!

Looks like the donation site's still open so feel free to make a donation if you'd like.  I'd sure appreciate it.  Here's the link:

http://www.active.com/donate/GYRIG-2006/tommatch

Cheers!

Tom 

2006-03-27 9:10 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-03-27 7:49 PM

molto veloce mama
nice job! any 5k under 30 mins is fast in my book. i've always wanted to do this race, just because i wanted a shirt that said 'get your rear in gear'
2006-03-28 9:18 PM

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Nice job!!! I wish I would have known about this race. Race for research took place on the same day at the University of Minnesota. This race sounded a lot more fun. Thanks for the log. I'll think about it next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Get Your Rear In Gear 5K Rss Feed