Seidel Productions
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 55s
Overall Rank = 69/173
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off about 3 hours before the race start. I was sharing a cabin on the Guadalupe River with 8 other BTers (and 1 BTer's friend) so I tried to be quiet as I got my race stuff on and went into the kitchen to get some breakfast. Had a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and jelly as people would come in and out. Dennis(dgunthert) joined me for a bagel and Haley(Comet) started to make a PBJ sandwich until she realized she had an end piece of bread in her hand. So she grabbed another slice and it became my job to eat her failed sandwich. So there I was, standing in a dark kitchen on race morning, double fisting PBJ sandwiches.

Celeste(CitySky) had her morning coffee and was bouncing off the walls already. You could tell she was excited about her first oly. Once Derek(DerekL), Laurie(tri_it_cajun_style), Bill(RGRBILL) and Brandt(OldAg92) trickled in we finally turned on the lights and Colleen(TriVeggies) and her friend Ryan, who were both sleeping in the living room, were forced to get up.

It didn't take long for all of us to start getting our bikes and transition bags loaded up and then it was time to go. We decided to take a group photo of all the racers and after that it was time to hit the road.

Brandt, Celeste, Colleen and Ryan didn't know where the race site was so they were planning on following Haley and I. We get a mile or two down the road when I realize that I forgot my flag! I have no choice in the matter; I have to go back. I give Brandt some basic directions and cross my fingers that he can find it without much trouble. Get back to the cabin, Haley runs in to grab the flag, I grab Celeste's tire pump which she left leaning against her car and we're back on the road.

Get to the race site and grab the last spot in the first lot. I unload my gear and pump up my tires then walk to transition and get body marked. Transition was first-come, first-served so I lucked out that I found a spot on the 2nd rack by the bike in/out. Throw my stuff down and walk around to see where all the other BTers are. Along the way I ran in to my buddy Henschied who was there riding the bike leg for the A&M relay team.
Event warmup:

Went to get my chip and layed out all my gear on my towel and organized my transition spot. Spent some time just standing around and talking while we waited. The race was pushed back 30 minutes to give the sun a chance to come out and warm things up a bit. When it got down to 10 minutes before transition closed I started to put my wetsuit on. Lots of BodyGlide made things go pretty easily.

Met Sal(Vegas) and Courtney(Courtney_Leone) as we gathered for the pre-race meeting and Derek snapped on final group photo of us all in our neoprene. After the meeting was over I wanted to get a quick warm-up (I use that term loosly) swim.

Walked down to the dock and as I got to the water's edge I realized just how much algae was on the concrete. Slipped and fell right on my butt. All the BTers around me got a good laugh from that one. I sat there and moved my wrist to make sure I wasn't injured (I wasn't). Then I realized that I was moving! I was sitting in the cold water and sliding down the dock. I tried to stop but there was no use. There was a guy standing waist deep in the direction I was headed. I finally get next to him and reach a point with some sand so I can stand up again.

Me: "Wow, that dock is really slippery!"
Him: "Yeah, how do you think I got out here?"

The water was cold but I knew I had to swim a bit in order to get used to it. I've never done a race in my wetsuit and I've never swam in water this cold. Breaststroked for a bit and let the water flow into my wetsuit. Finally put my face in the water and tried to freestyle. Zero success. Turned to the side to breath and just couldn't get my lungs to work. Okay. Calm down. Try again. Put my face in the water, take a stroke, turn to breath; barely able to take a breath. Kept this up until I finally was able to swim normally. Got out of the water and waited for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 29m 1s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Waded into the water and peed in my wetsuit as soon as I was off the dock. A few seconds later the gun went off and it was time to swim. People seemed to be going in every direction and I was getting hit from all sides. I couldn't seem to find any open water so I wouldn't have to hit people myself. Maybe 200 meters in I got kicked in the face and my goggles came loose. Flipped over on my back to fix them and then went right back to work.

The pack had left me behind so I used a few straglers to sight off of at first. We were told to ignore the first marker bouy since it had drifted off course and just swim straight to he first turn. This threw some people off and I had to start looking up to sight on my own.

As I got close to the first bouy I started to catch a few people but was still no where near the middle of the pack. I had at least made it to the first turn without anyone from the second wave passing me. That didn't last for long. I headed for the next marker bouy and along the way was passed my people in the second wave as well as the lead women from the third wave, which included elite triathlete Andrea Fischer.

I had just accepted the cold by this point and had at least settled into a rhythm. I felt like I was moving at a good pace but just had no ability to keep up with everyone else. So I just relaxed and focused on my form while I waited to get to the bike leg.

Rounded the last bouy and had plenty of people to spot off of on the way back to the dock. The current tried to push me off to the right and I had to correct a few times but made it in one piece. Some Air Force cadets helped me out of the water and I was off and running toward transition.
What would you do differently?:

Start more towards the outside of my wave. I think I could have done better if I wouldn't have lost the pack to draft off of when I had to fix my goggles. But the extreme cold was going to slow me down no matter what.
Transition 1
  • 10m 55s
Comments:

OMG! I did a good job of pulling my wetsuit down to my waist as I ran into T1 and didn't have any trouble getting it off from their. Sunglasses on, helmet on, I look down at my bike... MY FUCKING TIRE IS OFF THE RIM!!! THE GOD DAMN TUBE BURST WHILE I WAS IN THE WATER!!! How the hell could this happen?!?! Okay, fix the damage and get back to work.

I pried my tire back on the rim and used the last bit of CO2 in my canister to verify that the tube had burst. Okay, new tube. Took the tire off and got the new tube on. Put a fresh cartridge of CO2 in and screwed the top on. DAMN! I cross-threaded it! It didn't puncture the cartridge and won't inflate! Okay, unscrew it and try again. CRAP! It's too tight and my hands are frozen from the swim! I can barely use them!

Okay, now I'm in trouble. Hey, there's Henschied waiting for his relay partner! I run over and ask him if he has a hand pump. No luck. I ask the guy in transition next to me; he doesn't carry spare anything. CRAP! How the hell am I going to fix this?!?! I spot one of the race organizers and run over to ask him if there's a spare hand pump anywhere. He's got one in his SUV which is ten feet away! OMG!

He runs and grabs it and a minute later I've got a reinflated tire. I was scared to death that I was going to have to DNF because of this. I still didn't have a working CO2 pump but at least I could ride until I got a flat. Gave the pump back, grabbed my bike and got the hell out of the worst transition of my life.

The consensus is that my tube exploded because I filled my tires that morning at the race site. It was below freezing then and by the time I got out of the water the air was much warmer. The warm air expanded and thus burst my front tube. And I put alot more air in the front than the rear so that's why only one burst.

Lesson learned but it cost me nearly 10 minutes.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 44s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I crossed the timing mat and started to get on my bike I realized that I forgot to put on my socks in all the rush. I obviously wasn't going to go back now so this would be my first ever barefoot ride. Started to pedal and began to get into my shoes after the first turn. Turns out that my shoes are alot harder to get on without socks. My feet were freezing from the swim and it felt like they had swelled to twice their size. It took some extra effort to get them in and that cost me some time.

Finally got into my shoes and immediately passed two people. There's that feeling I've been missing so much! I had forgotten to swap my computer sensor onto my race wheels when I took my training wheels off the night before so I didn't have any mileage or speed data to go on. I did have cadence though and that was all I needed. I have no idea how fast I was going, but I was flying past people as I headed toward 306.

It didn't take long for the hills to start. I don't really get much chance to train on hills where I live so I was a little worried about what this course would throw at me. Luckily my off-season training had me well prepared.

We started climbing Devil's Backbone around mile 5. I dropped down to my easier gear and was able to stay in the saddle and keep a decent cadnece. At the top of the climb the road narrowed so that there was no shoulder and we had to share the road with traffic. Luckily this section was fast and I didn't have any problems with cars.

Made the turn onto 32 and was feeling great. My feet were freezing and I couldn't feel them at all, but I still felt great. Somewhere around mile 13 I passed up Dennis. This was a huge surprise to me because Dennis got out of T1 before me and he was a damn good cyclist. I pulled up beside him to give him my abbreviated tale of T1 woe and then I was off like a bolt of lightning.

Past mile 15 I hit a stretch of rolling hills. The hills were fine and I could move quite quickly over them, but my problem was traffic. I would see a slower cyclist ahead of me and slowly start reeling him in. Then a truck would pass me, get behind the slower cyclist and slow down because they couldn't pass him (traffic coming the other direction). It was driving me nuts! I didn't have enough room to pass the truck on the right so this slow rider was costing me precious time.

After a minute of this I had had enough. I was passing on the left. I moved onto the yellow lane divider in the center of the road and started riding full speed. I slapped the side of the truck to let him know that I was there and the on-coming traffic was honking at me like crazy. I got alot of weird looks for that stunt. Around the truck, past the slow cyclist and down the road I went. This same situation happened 3 times before the day was over.

Near mile 17 I passed up my buddy Henschied who was doing the bike leg for a relay team. He had a good 8 minute head start on me and I still caught him. That should keep him from talking smack before a race from now on.

It wasn't until mile 20 that I finally got passed for the first (and only) time all day. A 43 year old moved ahead of me just before the monster downhill. I eased off to put some space between us in case anything happened on the ride down. I started out in aero but quickly realized just how steep this hill was and moved up onto my bullhorns. I felt my bike tweek a little as I did this and I started to get nervous out losing it. I managed to get down the hill just fine and without ever touching my brakes, but it'll take some getting used to before I can do that in aero (let alone pedaling myself to go faster).

Back on 306 it was a nice day outside. I was glad I didn't wear tights or a jacket or gloves today, but my feet were still freezing! Passed up a few more riders on my way back to the park enterance. Once I got off the main road I saw a cyclist running his bike! I slowed to ask him if I could help but he said he was too close to make changing the tire worth it. He was just going to run in the last mile and a half of the bike! Hardcore.

Results: This was a very hilly course, I don't trian on hills, I have practically zero experience doing hilly rides and I still managed to destroy this course. 15th overall and 1st in my age group. Now I just need a race with a flat course and good weather to really find out what I'm capable of.

Socks. My feet were FREEZING!
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Slightly slower than usual. I dismounted slowly because of my cold feet. The transition area was very rough and running on it with barefeet wasn't very comfortable. Also had to put socks on here which I usually have done already.

Don't forget my socks in T1.
Run
  • 49m 2s
  • 5.9 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Started things off nice and easy. It felt great to have socks on and shoes that didn't have huge mesh panels over the toes. I could feel the prickling sensation all through my feet as they warmed up at last. I'm in the process of tapering for IMAZ so my plan for the run was to not let my HR go over 160. Regardless of how slow I might have to go. I didn't need to push myself today.

I had made my way ahead of the middle of the pack so the first lap of the run was fairly empty. Always a person a good bit ahead of me but that was about it. The course wound around the lake and I got to see Derek and Courtney as I headed out. Got passed in the first mile by the guy who was doing the run leg for Henschied's relay team.

By mile 1 it started to feel like there were rocks in my shoes but I couldn't tell if that was actually the case or if it was from my feet thawing out. I decided to run through it and see what happens. Before mile 2 we hit the aid station and then the big run hill. I increased my turnover and jogged up without another thought. Pushed my HR a little above 160 so I slowed as soon as I was at the top to get it back into range.

The rest of the loop was a nice slow downhill and I got to see alot of the cyclists as they were coming back in off the main road. Passed transition and the finish line and it was just one more loop to go, but this time with alot more company. I used alot of the people on their first lap as my pacers and kept things steady but comfortable.

By mile 4 I could finally feel my feet again and it turns out that there weren't really rocks in my shoes. Got passed by two guys in my AG just before the aid station but they were in the collegiate division. I decided to walk the hill this time and run again once I was at the top. As soon as I got there I was passed by another guy in my AG and unfortunately he was in the open category. Damn. "Oh well. I'm not racing today so I'm not going to even try to catch him." That was hard to tell myself.

Ran along the bike course for the last time and there were still riders coming in. Yelled a few words of encouragement as they went by. Then Dennis finally caught up to me again. It was about time. I had been expecting to see him before the day was over. We talked for a second as he went by and I told him I'd see him at the finish.

Rounded the last few turns and the finish line was in sight. In the last few hundred meters I got passed by a girl and when I saw her age on her calf I realized it was my friend Ashley. I sped up to chat with her for a second (and to cross the line before her) and then my first tri of the season was over.

Overall results: I got 5th in my AG but only missed 3rd by 3 minutes! Without the meltdown in T1, not only would I have had hardware but I wouldn't have be far from 2nd. Oh well. I've got bigger fish to fry. IMAZ will be here before I know it!

Nothing. I wasn't trying to push myself and stayed in control as guys in my AG passed me. I enjoyed the view of the lake and had fun.
Post race
Warm down:

I was handed a Texas flag, drank a bottle of Gatorade Endurance and met up with the other BTers after the finish. Haley was waiting just outside of T2 for Laurie so they could run together. I checked the results, put my stuff away in transition, grabbed some food and hung out while we watched the rest of the BTers finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Equipment failure. That burst tube and jammed CO2 cartridge cost me 10 minutes.

Event comments:

Great race. The water was freezing, the bike course was rough and hilly. I had a blast! I'll definitely be back next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:01 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 77/173
Performance: Average
AVG HR: 139
Suit: Zoot Z1 sleeveless
Course: Counter-clockwise triangular out-and-back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 10:55
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:16:44 | 26.1 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 15/173
Performance:
AVG HR: 137
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:02 | 05.9 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 91/173
Performance: Average
AVG HR: 157
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-27 6:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2006-03-27 6:06 PM

2006-03-27 6:22 PM
in reply to: #380805

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Texas Triathlon

Ugh, swimming in cold water is NO FUN!

Glad you were able to push through and have a great race! 

2006-03-27 6:28 PM

Pro
Evanston,
Great job, Aaron! Especially the part about sticking to your IMAZ plan, remembering the real fish to fry.

This was a tough race for most of us, it seems, a lot of lessons learned. GREAT to see you again, and thanks for making the BT experience fun & memorable as always!
2006-03-27 6:54 PM

Champion
Ok, you're just an animal.  Cut out the tube incident, and you're placing in a race while tapering.  Once they add beer drinking as the fourth event, you're going down.
2006-03-27 6:57 PM

Champion
MA

My 10 year old daughter was reading over my shoulder...saying 10' T1 how can that be right? Wow...lesson learned on a cold day on inflating tires...need to keep that in the back of my mind as it often chilly here in MA on tri mornings.

Great race...you figured out what to do in a tough spot, offered help to others, ran your plan, paced well and did awesome!

Great race report...thanks for sharing!

2006-03-27 7:10 PM

Elite

Way to represent, Horned Frog.

Cause this one would have taken even longer to get out of T1.

bts 

2006-03-27 7:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-03-27 8:55 PM

Expert
McKinney, TX
Derek and I have said to each other multiple times since this weekend what a freakin' animal you are!  We also have said what a great person and friend you are.  You kicked some serious butt on this race but never let it go to your head.  Not too many people I can say that about.  Even though I came in BOP, you made me feel like I ran right alongside you.  You are truly first class and I know you'll do incredible at IMAZ!  
2006-03-27 8:58 PM

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Great report and even better race.

How'd you get the pics from Kreutz? I know they disable right-clicking on them.
2006-03-27 9:09 PM

Veteran
Dallas, TX

Well done man.  I am really hoping I can get out to race with you sometime after June 30th.  I will be keeping track of you in a couple of weeks at IMAZ! 

2006-03-27 9:34 PM

Champion

Great job handling the bike issues.  10 minutes sounds like an eternity, but in reality it's not that bad.  Keep that in mind for Ironman, don't sweat the small stuff.  Things may go wrong, you might not like a certain drink or food, you might have to go to the bathroom at an inopportune time, you might have a flat tire, you might forget your salt tablets (heh, little first hand knowledge there)...small stuff really.  This was good "focus training" and great practice for IMAZ.

Ya done good!

2006-03-27 10:24 PM

Queen BTich

Yes, its true, a cycling god. You're amazing.

Thanks for walking with Laurie and I during the run (well, really for the beer).

GREAT JOB! I can't wait to see you on the course at AZ!

2006-03-27 11:14 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Way to power through it - I think the swim would have done me in.
2006-03-28 8:38 AM

Elite
Hendersonville
Aaron, I am so proud of you for sticking to your race plan. That is SO hard to do when you are out there, you know?  You must be so freaking thrilled with your cycling! I am so tempted to do what you did next winter..it's really done amazing things for you!
2006-03-28 12:01 PM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Great race Aaron!  And what a great detailed race report...always a pleasure to read!!  AZ is only days away!  You will OWN that course!!!  Nice job on the bike man!!!
2006-03-28 4:50 PM

Buttercup

Great race! You met adversity with resolve. Very nice!! GREAT job on the bike, too!!!

You ran a really smart race, Aaron.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Triathlon Rss Feed