United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 49s
Overall Rank = 129/407
Age Group = 40- ? ? ?
Age Group Rank = 26/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke up relaxed. Unlike triathlons I've done recently this race didn't start until 9:30 AM. Lots of time in the morning to get ready and get there. I was feeling relaxed and ready as I was getting ready to leave. One problem was the weather. Overcast, clammy breeze made the decision what to wear very difficult. Had to drag multiple options with me. It was nice doing "just" a run vs. tri's. Not all the equipment worries.
Event warmup:

The event starts along a river and the wind was really blowing there...much more so than at home. She was a cold, angry wind as well. I had decided I needed sweats until a few people I knew showed up. They convinced me shorts would be fine. Of course, they're jack-rabbits and I'm a donkey, so that was weighing on my mind. Nevertheless, I went with shorts. I'm sorry to say I spent most of my time joking with the fellas and pondering this decision.
Run
  • 1h 47m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was epic. I will note that I haven't done anything but tri's for quite a few years. My goal was (a) sub 2:00, and (b) to APPROACH 1:50 if all went well. All of my long training (weekly 10-milers) have been at an 8:40-type pace, so I had no reason to assume this would be any different. I didn't really plan on doing this race until jszat and I discussed it about 3 weeks ago.

At the start, it didn't feel like 400 people were there...much less. We started out and a huge pack of us were off and running. I wasn't in the lead pack, but probably the secondary group. I didn't feel like I was in front at all...more like mid to mid-back of the pack. Because of doing only tri's, it was a little wierd starting a run so fresh and in a group.

I was feeling strong and running with this group...I glance at my HRM and it's blasting a 170 at me. I wanted to keep it around 150 for the race. Oh well, I decide, I'm feeling good so I'll ignore it for now. At the 2-mile mark I notice we're barely over 14 minutes, my HR is still at 170. I'm clicking off 7-minute miles with this group. Logic and my HRM tell me this can't last, but I say WTF and just keep going. By "feel", I was dong fine...not out of breath or feeling poor at all.

I have my GPS on, so I note all the way to the 7-mile turnaround I am sub 8-minute miles. My HR has crept into the 175 range, but again, feel-wise, I"m OK. After the turnaround, I hook up with a guy and we are jockeying back and forth at about a 7:40 pace. That lasted about until the 9-mile mark. I'm sub 8-min miles THIS FAR into a 1/2-mary? AWESOME, I'm telling myself.

At about 9, the whole thing fell apart. I knew it had to happen at some point. I'm 20 BPM higher on my HR for over an hour of work at this point...something's gotta give. As I start to struggle, I begin to think about these logs and this site. I want to put in a good time. After getting this far, a 1:50 is no longer going to be satisfying...I've GOT to break that.

Unfortunately, the last 3 miles were an epic shuffle with people passing me. All of my magic juju dust was out the window. My HR was up to low 180's and I was tanked. I was able to muster a 1/4 mile sprint to the finish so I didn't look like a total donkey, but that's about it.
What would you do differently?:

Probably pace myself better, obviously. Had I taken it slower, would my time have improved had I not blown up at 9?
Post race
Warm down:

They had a nice post-race setup and I soaked up some gatorade like a sponge. I was chilled because the entire run I was sweating up a storm. I was dressed great for the run, but poorly for anything post-race. I should note that they had the post-race in a gymnasium which was nice for a "spring" run in Wisconsin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably need to train to 15-miles repeatedly if I'm going to fire off sub-8:00 mile paces for this type of race. None of the poeple I knew had trained much past 6-miles and they were all sub 1:40 times. I am just not one of those people. To do well, I"ve got to train my a#s. As I've said before, I suffer from incredible mediocrity in these sports.

Event comments:

I was thrilled to have bettered 1:50. It's too bad it had to be such an epic struggle for the last 40-minutes. Not much fun about that part. But, this race taught me a few things and I look forward do doing this annually as a spring motivator.

Again, it's funny, at many points I was pushed to move faster by thinking about how this race would look in my logs and on the race report. I find that funny, but I thank all of you for keeping me working hard!

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/49
Overall: 129/407
Performance: Good
AVG HR 168 2 miles 14:15 7 mile turnaround in 52:40.
Course: The course was beautiful for an early season effort. It meandered through downtown Waukesha WI, with plenty of police to ease traffic. Then, onto a paved trail for an out/back type of situation. Very flat, boring to a point, but overall a big positive. Outside of crossing some roads, the entire course was on sidewalks or trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-03 6:03 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: REMax Trailbreaker Half Marathon

2006-04-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: #386404

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: REMax Trailbreaker Half Marathon

As I've said before, I suffer from incredible mediocrity in these sports. [\Quote]

Are you kidding me?  A 1:40 half is at most moderate mediocrity.  Here I am striving to finish in under 2:15.  Now that's incredible mediocrity!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » REMax Trailbreaker Half Marathon Rss Feed