Ironhead Race Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 55s
Overall Rank = 41/84
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

Ate my standard bagel with peanut butter and honey at about 5am. No GI distress during the race!
Event warmup:

Sarah (my wife) and I went for about a 4-5 minute jog which was a really nice warmup. Light stretching. Should probably stretch my hip flexors a little more.
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Pre-race, Sarah said that she was going to just take it easy just like she always claims. However, within minutes, she had pulled away from me, again as usual. I was tempted to try to keep up with her, but I had to run my own race and she was just too fast for me at the start. I talked with Aaron and another guy who did IMAZ last year, and that was fun. This first run felt pretty fast for me as I haven't run any miles below 9:00 pace for many weeks. But it wasn't too fast to be uncomfortable.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. It was a good start.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

This was only my 2nd Du (my first was about 2 years ago) and I forgot how much easier T1 is compared to a triathlon. Nothing bad happened.

One day I will try clipping my shoes to my pedals.
Bike
  • 48m 26s
  • 16.7 miles
  • 20.69 mile/hr
Comments:

For the first few miles with the tailwind, it was fun going fast and passing people. I saw Sarah at the first turnaround where she was just a few seconds ahead of me. Then the WINDS. From approx. mile 4 to 12, we had pretty strong head or side winds that slowed me down to about 18 mph or so. I passed Sarah shortly after that first turnaround and reminded her to drink because I know she doesn't like to on the bike. However, after the race she admitted to me that she didn't drink at all on the bike!!

I was riding much faster than I was used to doing in all my base training for the RedMan Full Ironman. I rode 60 miles yesterday at about 16.5 mph as my long ride for the week. So 18-19 mph into the wind felt really hard for me, but the 25-26 mph with the tail wind on the way back was sheer ecstasy even with a sore butt. Man, tri shorts have NO padding what so-ever!

After the second turnaround, I was looking for Sarah to be coming at me on the other side of the road. 1 min passed, then 2, then 3, still no sign of her. I was getting really concerned that she may have fell or gotten a flat. I went the whole last 4 miles not seeing her and concluded that I must have just missed spotting her or something bad had happened.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Pretty fast T2 for me.

Take feet out of shoes while on bike.
Run
  • 23m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Still didn't see Sarah in T2 or coming off her bike as I was running out. I was really concerned that something bad had happened. My legs felt reasonable good for biking so hard. I think the bricks I've been doing paid off. It was a really nice and new experience to pass some people towards the end of the run. I hardly ever do that. I think my endurance is getting better.

At the last turnaround on the run, I finally saw Sarah coming the other way. First of all, I was relieved that she was OK and secondly, I and was shocked that she was so close to me. I had this preconcieved picture in my head that I had blown by her on the bike and had put some serious distance between us. Well, I was DEAD wrong! So, after getting butt my whooped by her in our last 3 races, I decided that it was about time that streak ended, so I picked up the pace to sub-7's for the last mile or so. I think that really helped my time.

Not much
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with Aaron a little, and wished him good luch at IMAZ next weekend. Sarah picked up a nice medal for placing 2nd in her AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know maybe the 60 miles I rode the day before the race!

Event comments:

Very fun race. This was the first time I felt like I was really competing with Sarah. We're both prety competitive people and I'm really proud how we've been race each other while still maintaining a supportive and loving relationship. She's the best.

On a personal note, I was elated to experience first-hand how base training and Long, Slow Distance (LSD) work can make you faster. I haven't done any tempo or speed work in months and yet I came within 3 seconds of my 5K PR on BOTH segments AFTER biking 60 miles the day before!

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:23 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 53/84
Performance: Good
171 average - about where I expected.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:48:26 | 16.7 miles | 20.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 39/84
Performance:
177 average - Very High - I've been doing all my bike base training at 150 or lower!
Wind: Headwind
Course: Pretty strong head and side winds for the middle half of course. Flat course that crosses 2 bridges where the winds were really bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44.9
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:24 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 32/84
Performance: Good
180 average - very high, but I knew it would be. And I was happy that I was still able to feel reasonable well.
Course: Same was the first run
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes