General Discussion Race Reports! » WLV Rotary Club 5k Run for the Kids Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

WLV Rotary Club 5k Run for the Kids - Run

View Member's Race Log
Westlake Village, California
United States
Rotary Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 54s
Overall Rank = 78/200+
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up,had some Gatorade. Packed my gear for the day. Loaded Diana and my bikes on to the truck (for a ride after the race) and sat in the car to get warm.
Listened to some Transplants on the ride over to Westlake to get pumped...Diana did not like it...
Event warmup:

Registered for the race. Diana sat in the car with the heat on. I stretched for about 20 minutes and got good and loose. Drank about 1/2 L of water and ate a power bar. I also hit up a new gel that I got for free at Performance...it was really good...tasted like apple pie filling.
Run
  • 31m 54s
  • 3.21 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good starting out and I ran the whole way to the turnaround. Paced at about 9:30 or so...started to get really tired at the 2 mile mark and I had to walk for a bit. Kept pushing even though the fact that I know the course was longer than a 5k got in my head a bit.
I timed 30:49 for the 5k but 31.54 overall...
I was pleased that I did better on this run than in Agoura last month...
What would you do differently?:

Just getting back into running so I should try to get out at least 3x per week...
Post race
Warm down:

All they had was water and pineapple juice after the race...no bagels, bananas, fruit...nothing!!! Food was available at the street fair but not for free.
Stretched a bit after the race and then waited for the results...I was happy to get a medal for 3rd in my AG but at 31+ minutes...man...there were some slow ass folks out there!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just getting back into running...

Event comments:

If it says 5k...make sure it is a 5k
Have a water station at the turnaround...
Some post race food would have been nice!!!!

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:54 | 03.21 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 78/200+
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course. I was fairly flat with a 1/4 mile downhill at the .9 mile mark and a 1/4 mile uphill at the 2.3 mile mark. Traffic control was good and they had one whole lane of the streets blocked off. Funny thing though...at the turnaround I looked at my GPS and hmmmmmmm...it said 1.6 miles...knew at that point that the course was long. It ended up being 3.21 miles...I was kind of pissed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes