General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi, I'm new, and I would appreciate some advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-05 11:05 AM

Subject: Hi, I'm new, and I would appreciate some advice
I'm a relatively new triathlete -- have been swimming and running forever but just getting into biking, I did an Oly this fall. I'm registered for an half IM in August. I ran my first marathon this fall, too!
First year college student, and I gained my freshman 15 after the marathon. Ithink some of it is built up arm muscle from swimming... but some of it is puppy fat that I don't like! I used to be nice and thin (117 at 5'6") but now I'm 133 at the same height. I know that's a healthy weight but I've always been small and was healthy at 117 too... I'd like to get back there. But I've never had to lose weight so I don't really know how to do it or what to eat?!
Any advice? Good things that are filling?

2006-04-05 1:26 PM
in reply to: #388861

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Hi, I'm new, and I would appreciate some advice

You've come to the right place.  We have lots of free advice and worth every penny.

First off, 5'6" and 133 sounds pretty normal to me.  Part of the college 5, 10, or 15 pounds is just normal growing up weight.  The goal is to stay active and eat healthy.  

There is lots of information about what to do and what to eat but it is only a general guideline.  For you personally, there is an envelop of activity in frequency, duration, intensity and mode of exercise that you can do without getting injured or burned out.  There are different combinations within that envelop that are best suited for different events.  The ones that produce the best performance and greatest fitness are right on the edge of the envelop.  The goal is to find out what you body can do for the next 50 year so and start doing it. 

On the other side of the coin is the nutrition.  There are the macro nutrients, fats, carbs, and protein and various subdivisions under those headings.  Healthy people vary widely on what they choose to fulfill their need for nutrition.  One thing is certain, if the number of calories you put in exceeds the number you put out, you gain weight.  What you don't necessarily know is how big a pile of doughnuts it is that strikes a perfect balance.  So, you need to start a food log (got one here.  There is also a good one at Fitday.)  You need to log everything and tabulate the calories and breakdown into macro nutrients.  An endurance athlete (you definitely are one) needs a higher proportion of carbs than a more sedentary person.  If you are getting in 8-10 hours of exercise a week, you need maybe 60-65% carbs and a pretty high total calories per day, maybe 2700-3000.  If you are doing less, then less input.  The ultimate way to judge your intake requirements is to get a good solid month where you try to eat the same number of calories per day and do the same amount of exercise, you log everything and then you just watch the scales.    

I am mind-numbingly consistent about food and exercise:  oatmeal and juice for breakfast, sandwich and fruit for lunch, meat and two vegetables for supper.  I get about an hour of exercise a day most days.  I have held my college weight for 30 years.  This ain't nuclear rocket science, and I am a nuclear rocket scientist. 

Go get'em, kiddo.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2006-04-05 1:29 PM
2006-04-05 3:40 PM
in reply to: #389054

You're really a rocket scientist? SWEET!

I've never counted calories or anything because I've never had to -- I grew up eating whatever my mom cooked for dinner, made me for lunch, and I usually poured my own cereal for breakfast :P I think part of the reason for the weight gain is just going to a cafeteria and eating whatever, usually creamy high fat stuff I guess, or munching during late night studying.

So a food log -- does a notebook work? And I just write down whatever I eat when I eat it? I suppose that ought to help because I'm less likely to eat a big bowl of ice cream if I have to write it down...

thanks for the help, I'll start recording what I'm munchin on
2006-04-06 8:00 AM

User image

Elite

Hey Calypso,

All the talk of how many calories to eat is all so pointless if you don't know what you are really consuming.  Dieticians say that when they survey people as to what they eat and then put them on a strict diet of what they said they ate, the subjects invariably lose weight.  So write it down.  The act in itself will make you much more conscious of nutrition and eating the right things.   Once you develop good habits about eating you can pretty much dispense with the record keeping if you want to.

Try out Fitday or the nutrition logs here.  They will provide some automated calculations of the calories and breakdown into carbs, fats, and protein.  And they are kind of neat to learn how to use them.  You can assemble meals you commonly fix as a custom food and save it to reduce the labor of entering.  Then you just have to itemize the snacks.  The computerized food log is harder to learn but easier to use once you get it going.   I have never used them but some food logs work on a PDA.  That could be handy too.

Yes, I am more nuclear than rocket scientist.  I worked for a while on nuclear rocket project.  The project has been cancelled.   At age 54, I am right now finishing my dissertation for my PhD in mechanical engineering.   I mostly do math even for my hobbies:   running logs, food logs.  You get the picture.  I am a barrel of laughs at parties.

TW

2006-04-06 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Hi! Here's my two cents....

I lost 65 pounds a couple of years ago and have used my tri training to keep it off, but it can easily be an excuse to eat more, so I totally agree with writing your food down. I write EVERYTHING down. I take it step farther and plan my day of food that morning or even the night before. It involves planning ahead (making a week's worth of meal plans on Sundays before I shop, etc.) but it takes the guess work out of it. That way, I know that if it stick with my planned meals (which I count calories for) and my planned training, then my weight will stay where I want it to. Also, when I'm hungry, standing in front of an open fridge is not a good place to be. If it's planned, I know what I'm supposed to eat and the emotions of the moment (or the hunger pangs!) can't get the best of me.
Hope that helps and keep up the good work!

Marti
2006-04-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: #389928

Planning things out would probably help me; I never plan stuff. It's hard too because I'm a college student and the food here is all from the cafeteria so I don't really know how to estimate the calories in it? But I do have a microwave and toaster so I can do some foods with that -- I can do rice in the microwave, for instance.

I'm trying to cut out sugary stuff and see if that will help... plain yogurt instead of the ff stuff which is loaded with added sugar. Making better choices that way should cut some calories.

2006-04-06 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Cafeteria stuff could be challenging, but you probably know more than you think. If it's creamy, fried, etc., then skip it or go with a smaller portion. And btw, portions are key!! I measure stuff a lot (1/2 rice, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, for example) because left to my own devices, a serving of peanut butter starts to look like a 1/2 cup. You might invest in some decent measuring cups and spoons and get used to that in the privacy of your own room so when you're out, you'll know what a serving of pasta really looks like.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi, I'm new, and I would appreciate some advice Rss Feed