Firstwave Events
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 18m 41s
Overall Rank = 418/616
Age Group = Male 25-29
Age Group Rank = 42/48
Pre-race routine:

I woke up three hours before the race and had a PBJ and a cliff bar for breakfast with some gatoraid. Before leaving did one more last second check on my equipment.
Event warmup:

An hour before the race started I did 10 mins of jogging around the transition toi warm up and then stretched for 10 mins at this point we had to move to the beach. At the beach I put on my wet suit and did some swimming and subsequently some more minor stretching.
Swim
  • 38m 19s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was overall very good. There very little chop or current which made it for a much better swim. There was very little to sight off of but i just followed the swimmers that were in front of me which kept me on course. This was one of the best sightings I have done and kept on course for the whole swim. I started out a bit fast and then setteled in to a good pace. The last leg of the swim i pushed it harder and added a lot of kicking. I left the swim feeling awesome and ready for the long run to the transition.
What would you do differently?:

Get a better wetsuit that does not chafe neck. Work on going faster.
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

This transition was one of the longest times for me but the run to the actuall transition was about a 1/4 of a mile and was included in the transition time. Once again like every race my suit gets stuck on my ankles and i had to sit down to get it off. This transition is the longest I have every had to run bare foot to get to my bike. The run is done a street for about a 1000m or more with numb feet from the cold water.

Cut my suit so that it does not get stuck on the ankles and work on the bike start with the shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out pretty hard on the bike and there was a head wind all the way out to the turn around. I ate a Gu packet every hour and twice duringt the ride i hate some of a cliff bar I had cut up. Overall I think the bike when farily well with no majior problems and little pain I just need to work on going faster.

Work on core so that my back does not hurt so much and i can sit in aero position more. Go faster....
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

I felt this transition went well. I had to sit down to get my soaks on for the run but over all it went fairly fast and i felt exceptionaly well in comparison to some of the shorter races i have done.

WOrk on the socks on part of the transition to make it faster.
Run
  • 2h 33m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

After the bike i felt excetionaly well and had little to no cramping. The start of the run was awesome with me running the first three miles at a 10 min or less pace but then my feet started to hurt and the slow down began. I was also trying to be conservative throught out the run so as not to have problems towards the as i had only completed this distance once before. Overall I finished the race not feeling to fatigued but in much pain in my feet and back.

Work on going faster and being able to complete the whole distance with no walking.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around the finish line area and then took a dip in the cold ocean followed by the long walk back to the transition area

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of traning and core strength

Event comments:

This is a fun race for a first time but the finish line festivites lacked and i was upset that they did not even have any sports drinks availible for the finishers.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:19 | 1931 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 37/48
Overall: 376/616
Performance: Good
Suit: Xtera full body suit
Course: Clockwise around the Santa Cruz pier
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good