General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica Series: Clermont - International Distan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriAmerica Series: Clermont - International Distan - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clermont, Florida
United States
Sommer Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 45s
Overall Rank = 456/
Age Group = M 40-45
Age Group Rank = 32/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, chatted w/fellow Trihomestay guests, ate nuked chicken biscuit from Gate (which was actually pretty good..)
Event warmup:

Swam out to about the first buoy, just to get used to the water. It was a nice morning!
Swim
  • 32m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Nice, comfortable swim..and nearly 15 minutes faster than last year's Oly! Of course, not swimming a giant loop out away from the course helped immensely. I did spend most of the swim trying to burp. It's surprisingly hard in the water, for some reason. I got whacked pretty good in the side of the head by a faster woman swimmer who was going by. She didn't knock my goggles off though, and she made neat glugging noises when I grabbed her ankles and pulled her under.

..No..not really.. :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

I think this transition time is actually the time from the out of the water mat to the entrance of transition..we had to trot all the way around. I think the transition time might've ended up added to the bike, based on the discrepancy between my computer time and official bike time. If so, that makes the top finishers' 22+ mph averages even more scary!
Bike
  • 1h 22m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

my "race nutrition" was a Snickers bar, and Gatorade. I won't try the Snickers again, I don't think..just too damn hard to chew on the bike! I dropped my chain on Cherry Lake Road (that sounds kinda dirty, but anyway..). I got it back on quickly, though, and it probably only cost me a minute, tops. I kept a fairly hard pace but tried to spin and save some legs for the run.

My bike computer had the course at 26.2 miles, and 19.3 mph average for something like 1:17 elapsed.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Run
  • 57m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Warming up on the run. I felt sick as I started, but it settled fairly quickly. Left quad was hurting right above the knee, which was unusual..not an area I normally feel. It felt like the precursor to cramping but it didn't happen. As I write this 4 days later, it's still sore..weird. I felt like I was slow but I just plugged along. This was only the 2nd time in 3 months that I'd actually run this far since I've been recuperating from a calf injury.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much run training in the last few months.

Event comments:

This was a fun race; I pushed fairly hard but didn't come in all wrecked, and I was ready to train again the next day. That was my aim with this first race of the season. I wanted to see if my swim has improved (it has), I wanted to evaluate my bike fitness (hard to tell, as that was a new course), and I wanted to make sure I could run 6 miles without re-injuring my calf.

On the swim, what a difference a year and some master's classes makes! Last year in my first race I was absolutely freaked out looking at the 400 yard sprint course and had to backstroke to calm down and breathe at one point. This year I pretty much plugged away...I had time to think about my navigating, fellow swimmers, how my stroke looked, and even looked at my watch to try and estimate my time.

On the bike I had some lower back pain that had me standing up and trying to straighten my waist periodically, which basically made me look like I was trying to hump my stem. I'm sure I looked odd. I hope/think this was just a residue from recent roofing work and the fact that I lowered my bars 1" last week.

I forgot my race belt so I needed something to put my run number on. I taped it to a shirt that says "I've Used Up All My Sick Days So I'm Calling In Dead!" Based on my expression when finishing, it was appropriate!

OK, gentle women readers, please consider this the end of the report. Guys, you can continue reading..

The run scenery was something! The UF Trigator women were there, along with a big contingent of midship(wo)men from Annapolis. My favorite, though, was the great looking blond girl who ran by in a white swim suit with "Bling Bling" written on the butt. I had to yell, "Nice bling bling!" and she said Thanks. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:49 | 1640 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 35/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: shorty
Course: Triangular single lap course, counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:08 | 24.85 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/38
Performance:
Wind:
Course: This was a fun bike course. Rollers..nothing huge but lots of short hills that required spinning in my lowest gear. There wasn't a flat spot on the course other than the last couple of miles around the lake coming back in. Part of the course on new pavement, and some on potholed old pavement.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:48 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/38
Performance:
Course: out around the side of the lake, then onto a pathway, then up and down some hills to the turn-around.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-04-05 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: TriAmerica Series: Clermont - International Distan

2006-04-06 8:31 AM
in reply to: #389539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: TriAmerica Series: Clermont - International Distan

Nice race my friend!

You looked great, the training is paying off. I'll see you some upcoming races in Clermont I'm sure... take care!

2006-04-06 5:22 PM

Veteran
Ames IA
Well Kendall you beet me. I got a little psyched out in the mass swim and couldn't get into a rythem untill the very end. By that time I was 10 to 14 minutes slower than where I should have been (I also wasn't prepared for the black eye and fat lip, but hey that is combat swimming.) I cranked a little too hard on the bike, didn't have my nutrition dialed in and cramped the whole run. But hey I would do it over again in an instant. What was with everyone telling me I was brave to swim in 74 degree lake with no wetsuit? Maybe it's an Iowa thing but I thought it was about 2 degrees to warm for my liking.
2006-04-07 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Nice race, Kendall.  Way to smooth back into the season with a solid effort.  Sounds like you emerged in one piece physically, and mindset-wise. 

And tri-chicks rock.

2006-04-07 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race and continued improvement. Thanks for the guggling noises and bling bling!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica Series: Clermont - International Distan Rss Feed