General Discussion Race Reports! » National City- Spirit of St.Louis Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

National City- Spirit of St.Louis Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Louis, Missouri
United States
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 26s
Overall Rank = 113/6300
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/403
Pre-race routine:

You know...pretty standard really. get up at the crack of dawn to slap some vaseline on myself and toture my body for a couple hours.

Got up at 4:50AM and was eating my oatmeal by 5. I got lots of warm clothes on, made a PB&J sammich, and headed to the race site with Wife and Father in tow.
Event warmup:

jogged around the parking lot at Union Station a few times. went inside to use the restrooms. got a little creeped out by the guy running barefoot. more power to him, though! then i went back to the car and shed some clothes and stretched in the back of the SUV while chatting with the fam. it was very relaxed. we joked about how i look like a scuba diver in my running gear. eventually i stripped down to just running tights and an Under Armor longsleeve. I saw people out there in shorts and t-shirt, but that wouldn't cut it for me. I jogged a bit more and hit the bathroom again for good measure, and just made it outside to the start line in time for the National Anthem (it was good!). Next thing I know after seeing drmac... we're off!
Run
  • 1h 32m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out pretty quick, which was kinda the plan. I just wanted sub-8 miles to start with. But I felt great, so I just ran the way my legs dictated. I thought I'd stick with the 3:30 Marathoners for a bit, but I pushed on. Then I thought I'd better hang with the 3:20 group, but I passed them too. Same with most of the 3:10 group. I talked to a few people along the way, looking for some company for a while. One guy said he was shooting for 7:30 miles, and I thought, "that's too quick for me. I doubt I can hang with him." Passed him too, half expecting him to overtake me not too long down the road. Somewhere around miles 7-8, 3 guys ran up on me saying quotes from Forrest Gump. "I'm tired. I don't think I'll run anymore." We all laughed and I chimed in, "they said it was a million dollar wound, but i ain't seen one penny of that money." I pulled ahead of those guys too, and in a pretty good mood. Came up on another guy and we chatted about our goals and how many races we'd done, etc. He recommended that I try to do the Chicago Marathon in October as my first one, by the way. We ran miles 9-12 together and pushed eachother pretty hard. My heart rate was climbing steadily up to the 170+ area at that point I think. Finally I passed him and made a strong push to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

run faster?
Post race
Warm down:

wandered around for a bit in the finishers area. picked up some snacks and drinks and headed back to the car to meet my dad and wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training time.

Event comments:

there were supposed to be bands all over the course, which i was excited about. i thought the atmosphere would be awesome. but over the entirety of the race, i saw 1 dude with a bongo drum, and a dorky guy with a synthesizer. my favorite part was the group that had a tiny boombox playing the Eye of the Tiger. kinda weak, but still pretty cool.
~B

Last updated: 2006-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:08 | 13.1 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/403
Overall: 113/6300
Performance: Good
1) 7.32 2) 7:13 3)7:19 4) 6:45 5)6:45 6) 8:18 7) 6:39 8) 6:40 9)7:11 10) 7:11 11) 6:34 12) 6:44 13) 7:45 ish. most of these are approximate because the miles weren't marked that well. sure, there was little mural, but there was nobody reading times or drawing my attention to it. so, sometimes i'd miss it and take a split late. or sometimes i'd completely forget a mile, and have to just mark the next one. in that case, i just averaged the time between the two miles for a guesstimate. yeah, it's pretty scientific stuff. like rocket surgery.
Course: Around the Budweiser Brewery (wish we could have stopped in for a tour) and then back past the start/finish, then towards Forrest Park, then back downtown. Gradual inclines here and there. Lots of hydration stops!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-10 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: National City- Spirit of St.Louis Half Marathon

2006-04-10 9:44 AM
in reply to: #392410

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: National City- Spirit of St.Louis Half Marathon

Great job! I still can't get over how fast you ran. How those legs feeling? 

You want entertainment on the course? Chicago's it. I watched a friend do it a few years back. Tons of people, tons of spectators, lots of good stuff.

2006-04-10 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Suprisingly, I feel better today than I did the day after my first half. There's some soreness for sure, but it's evenly distributed, and there's no nagging pain, so I'm a happy camper. I'm a little shocked too, about my time. it's those gels I tell ya!
~B
2006-04-10 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Coming down the home stretch. (I beat that guy, by the way) hehehe.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/Super_Suby/April10022.jpg
What I did instead of training all week.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/Super_Suby/April10023.jpg
~B
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National City- Spirit of St.Louis Half Marathon Rss Feed