General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forbidden Bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-06 1:14 PM

Atlanta, GA
Subject: Forbidden Bikes
Are there any types of bicycles that are not allowed to be used in triathlons. I was about to bid on a TT bike and then thought, that it might not be allowed in a tri, what about softrides? suspension bikes, etc?

2003-11-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1612

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Forbidden Bikes
I would look closely at a time trial bike. The set up of the bike if I recall correctly is not the same as a tri specific bike. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't hurt you to research it. Soft rides are legal and I think that there were several at Kona.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-06 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
Lakewood, CO
Unless you race the ITU circuit tehy are all pretty much OK. As far as I know you can't use softride and similar in ITU. But they may have changed the rules since I last checked.

Enrico in CO
2003-11-07 6:53 PM

User image

Walla Walla, WA
Here is the USA Triathlon guidelines for bikes. Any bike that is legal in a USA cycling time trial is legal in a triathlon. http://www.usatriathlon.org/Rules_Officials/rules.htm#5.11
-sam
p.s. it's under article 5.11
2003-11-07 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1613

User image

Central Louisiana
I probably didn't make myself clear on my response. I didn't mean that a TT bike might be considered illegal. The bike itself is usually set up a for road riders with its geometry which favors the muscles they have built from riding. A tri-specific bike is set up with a geometry that helps a triathlete by letting them use the muscles built up from running.

After I read my post I didn't feel that I was really clear on that and didn't want to mislead anyone.

Still Tri'n
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forbidden Bikes Rss Feed