City of Casa Grande
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 31s
Overall Rank = 171/291
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 47/50
Pre-race routine:

Todd (Todds) and I arrived before anyone else. had my normal Oikos and banana. It was cold and I was still fighting sickness. Coughing up junk in the shower at 4:15 is not the way to get pumped for a race!
Swim
  • 10m 30s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pool was tight and I started toward the back with my buddies. Bad Idea as we had to fight through slower swimmers and I shouldnt have been so nice. 2 times I stopped and stood up and waited for what was 3 and 4 wide across a lane to clear up. The times when I actually got to swim were good. I believe I would have been on a 8.5 to 9 min pace for distance.
What would you do differently?:

Would have started farther forward and would have not been so nice about going by people
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 44m 56s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 13.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Started slow on the bike and didnt push. Was still thinking about the swim. Transition went well. bike had all transitions wrapped up. At about the 3 mile mark I got out of my funk and started cranking. The rest of the ride felt awesome. Was passing people up the slight incline and really riding well. Slow T1 contributed to this time.

Needed to trust my body more. I had a decent fitness base even with being sick and was afraid to blow up on the run. Once I got past the swim frustration I rode well. Was a disappointing time, but my 2nd half realizations were worth it going into next year.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 32m 5s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out the run feeling good. Got horrible cramps in my shins and calves. I was probably dehydrated from being sick the last few weeks. Walked at least a mile before cramps got better. Once I started running again I was running at a 8:00 pace roughly. Finished the run basically sprinting and wasnt really tired. Again, this race was a learning experience and being sick didnt help. Have to think my 25min 5k time would have been just about right if not for the cramps.

Given that I was sick going in, I didnt expect much and that is exactly what I got. Felt like I have made excuses for my last two race performances, which is unacceptable. It is what it is.
Post race
Warm down:

Met Sue and Todd at the finish and hung for a few minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick for the previous weeks limited my training. I probably could have trained some and been better off. It made me realize that I am not taking the time off training from now on unless I am truly to sick to train. Would have been a good race except for a few things would multiplied to make it a poor race, but no one to compain to except myself. Its all just excuses!

Last updated: 2011-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:30 | 437 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/50
Overall: 0/291
Performance: Bad
Suit: tyr shorts
Course: 50M pool serpentine.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:56 | 10.3 miles | 13.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/50
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course was actually really good. Enjoyed the slight downhill start and downhill finish
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:05 | 03 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/50
Performance: Bad
Course: Trail run out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-07 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
Subject: Desert Grande Triathlon

2011-11-08 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3885640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Desert Grande Triathlon
All in all, considering the amount of training, this was a good race and a good experience! Looking forward to racing with you this next season!!!! Can't wait for Yuma!!

Edited by todds 2011-11-08 8:04 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Desert Grande Triathlon Rss Feed