General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time during a brick? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-22 12:32 PM

User image

Subject: Transition time during a brick?
I live in a high rise which makes bricks a bit of a chore, how long is ok for transition during a brick? I figure that by the time I get off the bike take it upstairs change shoes, get back downstairs I am looking at around 10-15 minutes for the transition. Am I still getting the benefits of the brick at this point?

2006-04-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: #403577

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Transition time during a brick?

As long as you aren't taking too long, you are getting some benefit.  However, one of the goals of a brick is to simulate race conditions and get your body accustomed to how it feels to run right after hammering on your bike.

When I was in your situation, I had a neighbor who would take my bike for me and I'd retrieve it later.

Cool screen name and avatar too.  I love Snoopy.

2006-04-22 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
The shorter the transition time the better since that simulates racing but you gotta do what you gotta do. You will still get the benifits cause its not as if you have had enough time to completely cool down. Any benifits you get out of your workout wouldn't be worth the cost of having your bike get stolen.
One idea for you if you have a friend who is willing to play a game of leap frog... I did this race in California where you had a two person team where you alternated biking and running (the cyclist would drop off the bike at the transitions and the runner would reach it and ride to the next point and leave the bike for the first who had to run the leg.) To train for this we found a 5 mile loop. We both started at the same time and when the cyclist lapped the runner we swapped. Cycle thru that rotation twice and its one nice brick with abosolutely minimal transitions.

Edited by southwestmba 2006-04-22 1:36 PM
2006-04-22 1:33 PM
in reply to: #403601

Champion
South Jersey
I used to be in a situation like that and found that doing bricks with a much more realistic transition time are more beneficial. But, a long transition time is better than nothing. (I actually found the run to be more difficult after a 10-15 minute rest, than just a 2-3 min rest.)

I liked the suggestion of having a neighbor take your bike. Also, could you use a different place as your "home base?" Like you parents' house, a friends' house, your gym, etc. Anywhere that you can take your bike to when you start, leave your sneakers and any hydrating/fueling needs, and then easily just put your bike somewhere, and then head out for the run?

Or, if you have a bike rack on your car, with locks, etc., it might be faster to throw it on there than to run it into your apt.

Good luck with finding something that works for you.

I do my bricks from my parents' house now. They live in a super-safe neigborhood and have a fenced-in yard, so I just ride into the driveway, put my bike in the backyard, change my shoes, and head out for a run.
2006-04-22 1:33 PM

Veteran
Stoughton, Wisconsin
I think 10-15 minutes is too long for the transition. Try to find something that works for you to make this transition less. I go to a site (usually a state park near by) where I can either lock my bike up or have my Girlfriend watch my bike while I ride.
2006-04-22 1:38 PM

User image

over a barrier
Do you have a door man/front desk clerk? Strike up a deal...have them watch your running shoes behind the desk and leave the bike with them....Buy'em a six pack every now and then as a thanks....

2006-04-22 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Maybe drive your car to a park or some other place along your bike route. Start your ride and when you're done, put the bike in the car, and go for your run. Of course it only works if you have a car your bike will fit in. This is what I do sometimes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time during a brick? Rss Feed