General Discussion Race Reports! » Falling Springs Heart and Sole Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Falling Springs Heart and Sole Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Versailles, Kentucky
United States
Falling Springs Arts and Recreation Center
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 54s
Overall Rank = 55/67
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:00 with race jitters. Organized all of my gear and walked through the transitions, ensuring I didn't forget anything. Wanted a light breakfast so headed to Waffle House for a Pecan Waffle.
Event warmup:

Milled around a bit overwhelmed about the # of bikes and people gathering in the transition area. I was going to take a lap ot two in the pool but they called the pre-race meeting just as I was about to jump in.
Swim
  • 08m
  • 400 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I was about 37th to go out so I had several minutes to watch the really good swimmers take off first. Man they make it look easy.

Ironically fellow BT'r, Tim_Edwards, was positioned directly in front of me. I had never met him but had emailed via this site a time or two. It was good to have a tri veteran to help answer my last minute questions and to help keep the nerves in check.

I spoke with the girl in line behind me who informed me that she should be in the <6 minute class. Sure enough, on the 2nd lap, I got the tap of shame as she glided around me.
What would you do differently?:

I think once I pushed off the wall I was a little too stoked. I went out way too fast and kicked too much. After the first 100, my breathing was labored and my legs were getting tired. Having been passed may have been a blessing as I had the lanes by myself the rest of the way so I tried to settle down and just get it done. It would have helped to get a lap in prior to the start.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I had T1 planned out pretty well, the time is just an estimate. I tried to exit out the wrong side of the area and had to turn around. Walking on concrete with cycling shoes on is no joy.

Forgot to re-start watch for this segment.
Bike
  • 44m
  • 13 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like I was finally in my element. The bike is certainly the more enjoyable of the 3 events for me. Finally got to pass a few people, though I was probably passed more often than not. Those tri bikes zooming past sure were cool. I hate to say it but I got a little extra enjoyment out of passing the gal that lapped me in the pool :-)

Nearing the end, as we neared downtown Versailles, some locals had setup lawn chairs to cheer us on. I thought that was just too cool. I tried to add a burst of speed for show.

Need to work on my gear changes as I popped the chain twice. Luckily I was able to get it back on without having to dismount. Right pedal needs some adjustment as the cleat kept popping out. Fearing the upcoming run I held back a little on the bike. I could have given a little more there I think.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Oh boy, I nearly fell when dismounting. My legs were rubbery. Limped into the transition area. I had to sit down to change shoes. Watched a few people come and go before I mustered the courage to move on.

Maybe standing on the bike the last minute to prepare for the run.
Run
  • 32m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw something spray painted on the ground up ahead and thought it must be the 1 mile marker. Dear God it was only the 0.5 marker. This was going to be rough. Hit the 1 mile marker in 9 minutes and change. Legs were much better now but breathing was hard. Was just hoping to see a water station at the 1.5 mark but nope instead was greeted with the hill from hell. Decided then and there that Tri's were not for me. Something wouldn't let me quit though. Made the climb, then there was the oasis of a water station. I don't think any of the water actually hit my mouth but it was the thought that counted.

From mile 2-3 was kind of a blur, I guess I ran it. Nearing the end a competitor got off course, unsure of protocol and the fact that I was gasping and couldn't have yelled at her if I wanted to, I said nothing. A director later pointed her in the right direction. The last 0.1 of the race was spent with her quizzing me why I didn't yell at her.

Crossed the finish line with not much left in the tank.

Need more run training for sure. Not sure what I could have done differently that day.
Post race
Warm down:

Knew my dog was in the car so went and got him and hobbled to the refreshment stand. I would have never though peanut butter sandwiches and Gatorade to be a good combination but dang if it wasn't pretty darn good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

40 years of laziness.

Event comments:

Having sworn off Tri's during the run, but during the awards ceremony, I coudn't help but wonder where I could shave more time to get into contention for placing in my age group.

I had my heart set on a beer and pizza after the race. While I was enjoying the beer and waiting for the pizza to come to the table, I was looking through the race bag. Hmm there is another Tri in May in Shelbyville, I think I just may have to sign up for that one ;-)

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:00 | 400 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/67
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: 25 yard - 8 Lane. 20 second staggard start swam sepertine style.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:00 | 13 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills though horse country.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:00 | 03.11 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: High school X-country track. Rolling hills, mushy bogs, muddy hills with rocks, you name it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-24 9:24 AM

User image

Regular
Kentucky
Subject: Falling Springs Heart and Sole Triathlon

2006-04-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: #404700

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Falling Springs Heart and Sole Triathlon
Good work!  Can't wait to read your race report from Shelbyville. :)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Falling Springs Heart and Sole Triathlon Rss Feed