General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike equipment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-10 2:55 PM

Atlanta, GA
Subject: bike equipment
Got the bikes... now what else do I really need?

helmets: looking for suggestions for good beginner helmets (brand/price)
pedals: my bike came without pedals and I am not sure what direction to go, i like clipless but am not sure if i should go there just yet.
gloves: are these really necessary?
clothing: i have never like biking shorts, what should i get?
misc: any other suggestions?

I don't want to spend too much and I don't want to look like an overequipped dweeb.

2003-11-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1674

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-11-10 4:29 PM

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: bike equipment
Mate I brought a MET helmet, cost aroud $200 AUS probably bugger all US D !!!! Nice and lite, and good air circulation.
Pedals, I suppose it depends on the bike, have you had the chance to try out clipless ???
Gloves, save your money, unless like winter here you need a set, you dont have to spend a heap. NETTI make a good pair of cold weather gloves, $30 AUS, same as before probably bugger all US D
Bike shorts are not only good for the bike but also the run, depending on the size of the padding.
The only other thing to look at is a pair of sunnies, keep the wind and grit out of the old lookers, and possibly riding shoes depending on the pedals

Keep it basic buddy

Craig
2003-11-10 6:13 PM

Central Louisiana
Look for good air flow on your helmet. Usually the cheaper helments don't move air as well as more expensive ones will. Good air flow will help you keep your core temp down during a race.

Still Tri'n,
Michael

Edited by Michael 2003-11-10 6:13 PM
2003-11-18 6:13 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: other bike equipment questions
I have some more questions about bike equipment.

I thinkI've seen in other posts to just get the clipless pedals with running shoes to start until get serious. If I stay with this a year, I will buy a better bike, so don't want to spend too much on this one.

What kind of water carrier do you recommend? The cage on back of seat or the one that fits on the frame.

Should I bother with aerobars this early or wait til get new bike?

How do you generally carry your gels?

Thanks for the help.
2003-11-18 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1832

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: other bike equipment questions
Cameron, I have found that the aloy cages are better than the plastic ones, the hold better, got whith the cages that fits to the frame, I also have the set up on the seat post, however it takes a bit of getting used to, mounting and dismounting.
Areo bars, depending what you get, can be transfered over to you new bike, so thats up to you, and as for gels, I carry mine in my race belt, or I brought a training TRI top from ORCA, which has a pocket in the back similar to riding tops

Craig

2003-11-19 6:44 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks for the info Craig. I have requested gift cards from the bike shop for Christmas, so that will help my decision :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike equipment Rss Feed