New Roads, Louisiana
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 27s
Overall Rank = 293/306
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

This is the race that made me officially a triathlete.

Caution : This race report will be full of "excuses". But they aren't really excuses - they actually give me hope that for my next race I'll do better.

Let me start with the week before the race on Saturday - Tuesday night - I slept terrible in only 1.5 hour intervals, would wake up sweating and couldn't fall back asleep for a while. Stayed home from work Wednesday - laid in bed all day. Same thing happened Wednesday night with my sleeping and the same with Thursday night. Friday - I go to pick up my race packet and find out the water is warm and they will not be allowing wetsuits - I was quite looking forward to using my adult floatie. So friday night - I'm pretty tired still sick and can not fall asleep for anything. Finally fell asleep around 4am and woke up at 6am to start getting ready.

I at this point accept that I will not do as well as I had hoped to on my first tri and I am alright with it.

I eat a Clif bar and some water, and plan to shoot a gel right before the race starts.
Event warmup:

So driving to the race site and I realize about half way there (too far to turn back) that I don't have my googles. They never even crossed my mind while I was packing last night. I'm really freaking out, but my friend says he's got an extra pair and that I can use them. We get to the race sight about 30 minutes later than we wanted to get there. I call my mom when I got to the site to see where she was, but she said she was home and wasn't going to be able to make it. This put a damper on my whole day.

We both had to pee extremely bad so our first order of duty was to find a bathroom. The port-o-let line was huge, so my crafty friend was able to be nice enough to the coffeeshop girls for them to let us use their bathroom - Score! At this point I decide that I do not want to race in a one piece again.

So we get back to the car get our gear and head over to the T-area, where EVERY SINGLE space was taken, people had begun to just lean their bikes anywhere they could find a spot, and the only spot we could find was all the way in the way way back (which accounts for some of the slowness of my transition times) We find out that you can wear the wetsuit but you will not be eligible for any awards - I know I wouldn't be winning any today, but decided to not go get it.
Swim
  • 25m 18s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

My tonsils had been giving me problems all week so I was a little nervous about being able to breathe during the swim but it turned out fine. I didn't even notice the tonsils for the whole race.

1. my "official" time is 5 minutes more than the time I've posted b/c I started with the last wave at the very very back, but the race officials think I started with my group so that's how they have my time.

2. Everyone said the swim was long, I just figured since I had never really done an open water marked distance before that it felt long, but Matt said he talked to the Swim organizer guy and he guessed it was probably closer to 1100 yards - which would make my swim time 2m18s/100 yards which sound much more likely to me. I sighted a lot on the second half. The first half I just pretty much kept the guy swimming next to me at the same distance from me. On the way back in there really wasn't anyone around me so I sighted pretty often but it worked b/c I didn't veer off track once. I passed a couple people on the swim - that made me feel good. Swimming around people like that wasn't too bad, I didn't hate it. Coming into the boat launch there were two guys to help you out so you didn't slip, that made me nervous but I didn't slip.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in training, more open water swimming to practice sighting, so I didn't have to do it so often
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

My area was WAY in the back so that t1 sounds really long. I felt very hungry so I shot a gel although I had planned to wait until further into the bike.

get there earlier to actually get a rack.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 58s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 15.98 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike time includes me running up the hill with my bike right out of T1. My plan was to start off slow, then go hard, then slow it down in the end. I was passed early on by a few men and then started passing others after the turn around. The time also includes the STUPID bike turnaround. They gave you the width of the street to turn around! That's it. I can't do that! So I stopped unclipped one foot and slowly turned the bike around, joking with the guys that were manning the turnaround station that I wasn't going to fall down, they said they would catch me. I just laughed and was on my way. I felt like I was pushing myself but not overdoing it. I do think I was cautious for this leg, think I was nervous about the 18.6 miles. I can't wait to train more to be able to do better on the bike. I know that at the Opelousas Duathlon I did not drink enough on the bike and I tried to drink more than I did last time - and I did drink more but not enough. I think I'm going to get an aerobottle. My time also includes me getting off the bike and walking down that hill, I was too nervous to ride down it, knowing me I'd end up in the water. So I definitely rode faster than this, but I understand that this is a race and that is my speed.

Saw Matt on the bike, he was coming back as I was going out, and it was great to see a familiar face, even if it was for two seconds, pushed me to go a little bit faster - gotta make the Caliente Club proud.

ride more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Again, my t-area was all the way at the back, but I shot another gel threw on my stuff and couldn't help but smile and be glad the bike was over with.
Run
  • 35m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I didn't do nearly as well as I probably could have if I had been 100% well and if I had all my sleep, but it is a PR by 4s/miles so I can't complain really. Run didn't really go like I had planned but I can honestly say that I left it ALL out there. The first mile was at a 11:31 pace which was right on target for what I wanted to do, AHR 186 MHR 192. The second mile was at a 11:05 pace, which was a little faster than I had planned, AHR 194 MHR 198. The last mile I had wanted to be my fastest mile of the race but I just couldn't do it, I pushed and pushed and almost tripped and had a 11:38 pace with AHR196 and MHR 199. I even felt like I was going to throw up there at the end. John come and ran in with me for the last couple of tenths of a mile and that was nice. It feels good for people to see how hard you are working, and boy I was working hard. That last 0.1 mile was at a 10:30 pace. I gave it my all and I left it all out there. When I crossed the finish line, I was spent. I needed water and I needed to stretch.

not a thing, I did what I could
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, stayed by the finish to cheer in Chris who wasn't too far behind me. Saw the BRTri people running with him, John asked if I wanted to go run him in, and said I honestly couldn't walk over there. I was really spent. I was walking with you in spirit though Chris!

Walked over to get some food and it was ALL GONE! I have now found my pet peeve with races. That is just BS to run out of food by the time the slower racers come in. 1. I paid just as much as they did. 2. We are on the course much longer than anyone else and we need the food more than the faster people do!

After I sulked about being hungry, john and I stretched talked to Chris and waited for the shuttle to take us back to the starting point. (these point to point races are starting to annoy me too)

Drove home - and made the customary milkshake with cookies and cream ice cream, peanut butter, milk, and mint chocolate cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There was one 1 drink station on the whole run course!! I need more water than that. I think I could have ran faster if I had more water.

Event comments:

had to give the post race activities a below average - i'm bitter about the jambalya.

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:18 | 875 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 0/306
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: circular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:58 | 18.64 miles | 15.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: pretty flat but a yucky surface
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:51 | 03.11 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Course: sidewalk run
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-24 6:29 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: Louisiana Triathlon

2006-04-24 7:51 PM
in reply to: #405297

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Louisiana Triathlon
Congratulations.  Nice job.
2006-04-24 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job! No wetsuit was brave and 5K PR in a tri was awesome. Keep running up, you will be sub 30 5k by July. You missed a scary swim at the mullet man. The waves were huge. You did it!!
2006-04-24 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Congratulations, Triathlete!!!  I know you were a little disappointed about some aspects of the race, but don't lose the prespective of the fact that you have trained very hard to do what you did and YOU DID IT!!!  Now you know some things to make the next time even better.  Focus on the positive!!!!!!
2006-04-24 9:48 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Congrats! You made it!

Have you gotten your Max HR tested? You Av. HR for those miles was 190, no wonder you wanted to throw up, thats high!

Way to stick it out, especially after being sick.

2006-04-24 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs

Wow, you PR'd the run after all that other stuff before it??? I don't think I could ever do that. I did see you on the bike. Wasn't the road a little rough?

You should have came to the post race crawfish boil we had! I didn't eat at the race because I knew we had a fiesta later!

Brandi, congrats on the new Triathlete status!

Oh and I will have to adopt the new post race milkshake idea.... 

Edited by Biseman 2006-04-24 9:57 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Louisiana Triathlon Rss Feed