General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learning to go downhill on tri-bike = scary Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-14 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3899593

User image

Veteran
Waterford, Michigan
Subject: RE: Learning to go downhill on tri-bike = scary

A previous poster already mentioned situational awareness.  That and reasonable handling skills are invaluable.  That's not to say everybody should bomb down hills, rather do what is comfortable for you.

Personally, I enjoy downhills and try to make the most of them.  One of my routes includes a lengthy (for this area) downhill that allows for a 40+mph descent and rarely has a car on it.  I've maxed out at 43mph... all in fun Smile  That downhill and the climb a couple of miles before it are the highlights of the ride for me.

2011-11-14 8:26 PM

User image

I've never ridden a tri bike, but my favorite lunch ride loop in southeastern CT had two 43+ mph downhills.  I have clip on aeros, and I cannot imagine being aero for those descents.  I was always in the drops by 30 or so, and then always had my fingertips on the brakes.  My max is 45.  You need the computer to find out how fast it was - later!  Would a tri-bike really be any faster on a loop with some pretty good hills?  I like climbing with hands on the hoods.

I never saw as many tri-bikes in CT as I see in tidewater (flat) Virginia where I live now.  If I get a 29 or 30 now I think I'm flying - and I miss the hills to get me off the aero bars.

2011-11-14 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3901594

Master
Northern IL
Theforge - 2011-11-14 2:05 PM

Doesn't everybody ride downhill in aero.  Maybe I'm just nuts.  I've even cornered at the bottom of a hill.  I won't do that again.

Depends on the corner.

If the road becomes a little tricky or I'm going to hit ridiculous speeds, I'll keep my hands on the brakes, but I'll drop my head to just over the handlebars.  I've actually been faster this way (while coasting), catching and passing people who stayed aero. If it's really tricky or uncertain, I sit up, like an air brake.

2011-11-15 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

We have a wonderful road out of the Red Rock mountains that goes for over 22 miles with a 6 foot bike lane and a nice downhill grade all the way.  Usually the wind is at our backs coming back into town and 42 mph is a normal speed.

Cars are doing 50, with no stops and no turns.  The only danger is the trash, glass, or wires from steel belted radials on the road.

Aero all the way with a huge smile.  Practice, situational awareness, and a go for it attitude makes for a wonderful ride.

Edited by SWIM2LIVE 2011-11-15 12:28 PM
2011-11-15 1:16 PM

User image

Expert

It gets easier with time but also familiarity with where you're riding. Roads I know bring it on. Ones I might not I'm still cautious. I did the Stamford KIC IT (Olympic) this past summer (great race and very well run). Miles 9-18 are on these twisty country roads and I hit 43 on a couple of descents. One particular hill there was a turn halfway down and I thought screw this I'm flying and I came off the aero bars and onto the pursuit bars. No sooner did I do so and I heard the ambulance sound. I went around the corner and I could see them attending to a guy who was road rash all over his back and one side.

Be smart and listen to your instincts. As you gain confidence you'll know but if you feel unsafe it's not worth it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learning to go downhill on tri-bike = scary Rss Feed  

of 2