La Porte, Texas
United States
On The Run
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did the Aquabike, entered late, and was pretty relaxed about the whole thing. So much so that I hit the snooze button in the morning Finally got up, had breakfast, loaded the car - drove down with Alan & Alisa, which was fun. Hit a freeway closure and got concerned since I was already running late, figured out an alternate route, arrived in time to pick up packet from Aaron, get marked, set up T1, and so on. No wetsuit, the water was plenty warm and I'm plenty buoyant anyway.

I thought it was pretty funny that they had assigned me the SINGLE BEST rack position - immediately next to the bike exit. Uh, I didn't really need it. Last bike out and all.
Event warmup:

Jogging to the far Porta Potty, a few stretches, hanging out & posing for a pic with BTers.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Estimated time: 49:00. This is based on the assumption that I was about a minute and a half slower than the second-to-last Aquabike person, who got out of the water ahead of me. No official times for me, not even my name in the results, and I have yet to receive an explanation as to why. I'm assuming it was a faulty chip. There are official race pics of me though, so I have proof I was there!

Anyway, not a good swim. The slight choppiness in the water didn't bother me; I'm used to the ocean (California, Hawaii), but the exhaust fumes from hovering boats and a jetski finally made me naseous. From that point on I had to breaststoke most of it because the rotation associated with crawl made me feel ill. That plus the usual problems with sighting, oh and I hit something underwater at one point, probably the same thing Haley hit, except I stopped and freaked out and tried to push it out of my way - it was pale, slimy, firm, smooth, and rounded, probably part of a submerged buoy or something. Whatever, bumping into it was creepy! Oh also: my race photos show black gunk on my face at the swim exit, presumably the same black gunk I was removing from my nose Sunday. Nice.

Last out of the water. THIS is why it's funny that my bike was in the best spot on the rack!
What would you do differently?:

Basically I need practice, a LOT of practice, before I'll have any clue waht to improve beyond "swim faster" and "learn to sight."
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, no chip, no clue on time. But it was fine, the only "extra" time lost was for pouring water on my head before putting on my helmet. I didn't want that nasty salt-and-deisel water crusting up in my hair all day.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 50s
  • 27.29 miles
  • 14.51 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, I figured my distance and time based on my bike computer. Which is a good thing, because my course was a few miles longer than everyone else's! :) Yeah, a few volunteers weren't paying attention any more by the time I got to their intersections, and I missed two turns, one very early in the race and one right at the end.

Regardless, I LOVED the ride. The course had us riding on the freeway for a while - wheeeee!!! I managed the bridge fine, was pleasantly surprised to see a "target" struggling up the incline ahead of me on the way back, and actually passed her not long after! Well she and I played a little leapfrog for a while, but when she passed me for the second time at around mile 20, I knew she had it. My energy was waning by then. Meanwhile we had both passed one astonishingly slow guy.

My roommate Alisa and her boyfriend Alan had a map of the bike course and so drove to various points along the route, parked, and waited for me to ride by so Alisa could holler encouragements. That was fun. She is the best.

I had taped one Gu and a couple of Enduralytes (in little homemade foil packets like the Gu - aren't I clever???) to my handlebars, ended up taking 1 Gu and 1 Enduralyte during the ride. That worked out well.

Overall I was really pleased with the ride. I biked harder than I ever have and loved the momentum of the gradual ups and downs, kept an average speed that met my goal, and had a blast on the bike.

Bring a second Gu so I don't lose steam at mile 20. Improve on drinking water through the ride too-- I was almost but not quite properly hydrated when I got to T2, and frankly that water bottle handoff at mile 12 saved my hide!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

no run for me - I did the Aquabike
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around finding people for a while, then cheered in Bill & Hannah as they crossed the finish line together - SWEET! - and hung around in the shade while we waited for everybody, ate stuff, drank water. I was sore in those hip muscles I use on my new bike, which felt good, like I had worked hard.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mmm, I'm thinking it MIGHT have something to do with the fact that I've only been training about 5 hours a week? No, I know, I need a more expensive bike. ;) Seriously, I need to train more. Plus, my only open water swims since Christmas vacation have been during my 2 races. But I'm pleased with my progress on the bike, and know I'll get even faster by CapTex.

Event comments:

OK, the water is gross & I was affected by a few glitches (bad chip, no-one giving directions), but overall I think they did a good job for a first-time race. The bike course is really fun, and had a ton of police support, including police and EMT's on bicycles, that was cool. Having 2 transition areas is tough, but that's the tradeoff for ending at the SJ monument. Since this race is local for me, I do hope to do it again.

Last updated: 2006-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:52:50 | 27.29 miles | 14.51 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Well-policed roads, Hartman Bridge out and back, then mostly gradual grades after that, ending at the SJ Monument. FUN course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-04-27 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: Battle of San Jacinto Triathlon

2006-04-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: #408367

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-04-27 2:59 PM

Subject: RE: Battle of San Jacinto Triathlon
Hey, nice job. Sounds like you had fun. Sorry the water was gross. I hope that this event becomes a regular thing. Seeya!
2006-04-27 3:15 PM

Queen BTich
Great race celeste!! I had that black gunk on my face all day too, even after I showered! Gross.
2006-04-27 3:31 PM
in reply to: #408410

Pro
Evanston,
JeepFleeb - 2006-04-27 2:51 PM

...and to see you rolling down grassy hills.

LOL! I forgot to include that in my "warm down" activities above.

On Edit: "Rolling down hills, wrestling, and sprints with the youngest Hoss Chick in the BT universe."
2006-04-27 3:39 PM

Master
Houston

Great report, Celeste.  Not to worry you too much but what you described in the water sounds much like a jelly fish.  I think they call them, cauliflower jelly's.  They are all over in the bay and open gulf water.

Great to meet you and looking forward to CapTex.

Jeanette

2006-04-27 3:46 PM
in reply to: #408477

Elite
Texas
CitySky - 2006-04-27 3:31 PM
JeepFleeb - 2006-04-27 2:51 PM

...and to see you rolling down grassy hills.

LOL! I forgot to include that in my "warm down" activities above. On Edit: "Rolling down hills, wrestling, and sprints with the youngest Hoss Chick in the BT universe."

heh..... Great race Celeste! I wish we still had batteries in the camera for the cool down! She had a blast!

2006-04-27 4:00 PM

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Nice job friend!!

I like your good attitude, you are a great athlete!!!!

2006-04-28 7:07 AM

Expert
McKinney, TX
If I had hit something in the water like what you described, I'd have stopped there and said "Check, please!" and gotten the hell out of there...creepy!  Great job!!!
2006-04-28 7:29 AM
in reply to: #408491

Queen BTich
Nette213 - 2006-04-27 3:39 PM

I think they call them, cauliflower jelly's.  They are all over in the bay and open gulf water.

I know what you're talking about, and I know thats not what I hit. What I hit was solid, and large. I grew up in Galveston and am quite familiar with those jellies. It was different...

2006-04-28 7:35 AM

Pro
Evanston,
Yes, Laurie, I had to spend the next 100 meters persuading myself it wasn't a corpse, then a shark (something credible only when you are out there alone, quite far from shore!) To my relief, Jeanette may be on to something with the jellyfish. Of course I had to go do some reseach, and learned that the cauliflower jellyfish are smaller than this thing -- we are talking basketball sized here people -- but it could have been a cannonball jellyfish, which are described as both "very firm" and "harmless." The only perplexing thing remains why it didn't get out of my way when I stopped and shoved it. Corpse of a cannonball jellyfish?

Thanks everybody for all of your encouragement. Next race, CapTexTri. Time, under 4 hours.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Battle of San Jacinto Triathlon Rss Feed