United States
Pulse Endurance
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 56s
Overall Rank = 42/207
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30. Ate a peanut butter sandwich, drank water. Got to start by 5:30 or so, parked close! Got everything set up and then hung out with my amazing wife until my start time.
Event warmup:

none at all....perhaps I need to rethink this!
Swim
  • 29m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow do I suck at swimming straight! I did a terrible job of drafting, which would have helped my navigation if I picked a better swimmer from the start. I must have gone 20+m off to the right a dozen times. I hate to think how much further I swam due to my poor navigation.
What would you do differently?:

practice swimming straight...start fast so I can draft from a strong swimmer!
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I had a tough time getting my suit off...had help getting it off...I bent over too much, got dizzy and almost fell over with my suit around my ankles! Once I got it off, I was good with running my bike to the mount and jumping on...clipped in quickly and was off!

NOT bend over to induce a head rush and dizzy spell! Need bodyglide on my heels to help with removal. RELAX and I'll go faster!
Bike
  • 1h 21m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I was going faster than I was....those darn hills! Did lots of passing and was passed a handful of times...a few guys flew by me! Ended up pacing behind a guy in my age group for the final 4 to 5 miles...he had the nice full tri bike (vs my older road bike with bolt-on aero bars), full disc rear, aero helmet, etc....I was able to keep pace to the finish... that helped me finish strong.

Do more hill workouts leading up to the race...
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Very nice set up for T2....a volunteer takes your bike for you....they have already called ahead with your race number so another volunteer has your T2 bag ready for you. Quick switch of running gear out of bag and on, bike helmet and shoes into bag and they take it back from you....very nice!

For the first time I tried rolling my socks up so I could unroll them on quickly....in theory, would work well...BUT, I unrolled them upside down...2 times! Practice this or maybe use a marker to mark one side "UP"!
Run
  • 46m 53s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

It's obvious that running is my strength as I had the 2nd best run time in my AG. I felt good overall. It did take me about a mile to get my running legs. I ended up pacing with a pretty strong woman runner through to mile 3, then I was feeling very good so I pushed and left her behind. I don't think I was passed at all....but certainly did lots of passing myself. Course was marked pretty well with the exception of the last mile...a few places I literally had to GUESS which way to go as I couldn't see anyone in front of me at that point. Finish was a mild uphill that wasn't too bad.

Need to do much more work on the bike to run in training...figure out how to get my running legs a bit faster. Otherwise I felt good about the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training...I'm still ramping this up.

Event comments:

This was their first event...pretty good for a first event. Would have liked to see a bit more "stuff" for the post-race. Not much selection on post-race food or drink. This was a tough event with the hills...train accordingly!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/33
Overall: 0/207
Performance: Below average
Suit: Vortex 3 Full
Course: One loop in the bay. Initially pretty flat, then we had some chop due to wind.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:21:01 | 24.85 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/33
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: HILLY! Lots of UP...started at edge of harbor, elevation like 5 feet, finished at about 425 ft, with the peak being close to 600ft. Lightly traveled road, some areas closed off, others we had light car traffic to deal with. Overall road condition was good...a few bad spots.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:53 | 06.55 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/33
Performance: Good
Course: More hills! Lots of short rollers, some very steep. a few long gradual uphills and of course some down hills. Very scenic run...first mile or two on a trail, then you enter the Olympic Training facility and most of the run is around there...very cool!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes