United States
Strictly Running
40F / 4C
Total Time = 30m 57s
Overall Rank = 5/216
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

So Chris showed up last night and wanted to run the Turkey Trot. I wasn't planning on doing it, as my plan said "6 miles easy", and I ran 10 yesterday, with 5 at tempo, around 6:20. He pushed the issue, so I said sure. James and Muireall said they wanted to race too. So I guess this is turning into a family event. Then we stayed up way too late.
Event warmup:

We jogged over (~1.5 miles) to the race, registered, and hung out until the start. Chris was talking big at first, telling me I better 'watch out'. Then he asked me to pace him at 6:00/mile and I said 'no way' -- I'm not even sure I could hold that pace for 8K, and especially not in my present condition. My legs were pretty dead. Then as the gun time approached that 6:00 kept increasing. I told him I ran 6:20s yesterday and maybe we should do that.
Run
  • 30m 57s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

So, we went out and hit 6:18 for the first mile and he started to complain. I egged him on and we hit 6:23 for the second mile. Then right at the end of the first loop he bailed. I was a little pissed off, I must admit. But I started the race, and I wasn't going to quit now. So I ran the second loop, pretty hard, and even passed a few people before the end.
What would you do differently?:

Ignore Chris.
Post race
Warm down:

Doughnuts. Then I watched James and Muireall finish their 4K, which was fun. James then presented me with the gift of a flattened box of matches that he picked up off the course. ("I know it isn't appropriate for me to have matches, but I thought you might want them.") Yep, he is definitely an 8 year old boy... Muireall stopped 10 yards in front of the finish line to tell me that she lost her scarf (not sure why she was running with a scarf on, but hey...). I encouraged her to finish first, and then we located it. I love kids.

Event comments:

Good local race, but the guys running it were slow as molasses getting to the awards. We gave up on them and left. And for some reason they list me and the kids as being from Elgin. Not sure where that came from.

3rd in AG, 5th overall. Tough day to be 43! (And the truly fast 40-44 guys didn't even show up...)

Last updated: 2011-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:57 | 04.97 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 5/216
Performance:
Course: 2 loops. A few tiny hills but mostly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-11-19 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Shandon Turkey Trot

2011-11-19 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3908323

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Shandon Turkey Trot
nice race, especially after all that running earlier...Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shandon Turkey Trot Rss Feed