General Discussion Race Reports! » El Tour de Tucson - 111 Mile Route Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

El Tour de Tucson - 111 Mile Route - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
Perimeter Bicycling Association of America, Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 06m 6s
Overall Rank = 1685/2843
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was planning on going down way later then I really did but got worried about parking when I read that folks started lining up at 3:30. WTF? So I got up at 4AM, ate a couple of pieces of toast with PB and some coffee and headed down at 5AM. Got ready and pedaled over to the start and ended up pretty far back in the starting area, which is crazy, and stood around for over an hour waiting for the race to start. Next time I am going down later.
Event warmup:

Sigh, just sitting there on my bike waiting for the start, packed in almost like sardines. As the sun started to come up I was actually getting colder, but not sure if the temps were getting colder (as it should at that time) or cause I was standing around for so long. I should have brought more to eat cause before the start I did get into my food bag. This caused me to stop more then I wanted on the course.
Bike
  • 7h 06m 6s
  • 111 miles
  • 15.63 mile/hr
Comments:

We flew out of downtown (once we finally got out of the starting area) at a pace that I heard more then one person say "I cannot keep this up for the whole race". I was included in that but it was a comfortable pace at the time and I knew it would settle down so I went with it. I jumped on some wheels when I could but I had a pretty hard time finding someone riding the pace I wanted to ride that I knew I could hold. They'd start that way then slow down. Or speed up. Lots and lots of accidents. I saw a lot of folks being loaded into ambulances, and other generally bloody folks waiting. I think more then one collar bone was lost during the race. What is funny is none were in areas where there were packs. There were a few riders around that were not so great but all in all it was ok. A few times I biked away from a pack feeling not so safe but for the most part folks were paying attention and letting you move when you needed to.

My pace was pretty on target for the first 40 miles. I was hoping to average 17mph for the whole race. But then the gradual climbs started and the legs were starting to feel the effects of the miles on so little training. I was still going but could for sure feel the miles. I think with more miles on the bike the average is obtainable.

I did end up with one extra stop I was not planning on making cause I waited so long in the start after two coffees. blah. If I had more food on me I might have been able to go longer before the next stop and only had to make two. Something to remember for the next one. Actually, depending on the day and how hot it is I might get away with 1 stop. Water would be the factor. One of my stops was a little long cause I stopped to eat a slushy. Hey, it was free. Who turns that down?

I was amazed at the support on the course. Lots of folks were out watching the race. All throughout the ride. It was great, I did not expect that. For sure some spectators were giving the females special cheering. Like they were amazed females were out there. Funny but appreciated. More rest stops then you could ever hope to have as well.
What would you do differently?:

I did not eat well at the beginning stages of the race. I let myself get to hunger a few times. I couldn't easily get at my food with the packs so close without risk. Next time I will treat it more like a tri and make the food easy to get at.

I of course would train to ride 111 miles a well. I was a away for a few weekends which really cut into my long ride training.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on the ground. lol I then got cold so went and changed as we waited for the rest of my friends to show up. Then just stood around until it was time to go get food and beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Isn't it always training? Better fueling would have helped as well.

Event comments:

Good event. Lots of police support. If you balk at the price understand what that is paying for. They were awesome out on the course and kept us safe. Be able to bike in crowds cause there were lots of them. If I ever ended up alone on the course it was never for long. More aid stations then you could ever hope to have. Which begs the question of why so many men still felt the need to use the bathroom on the side of the road despite all the warnings they were given.

Last updated: 2011-01-11 12:00 AM
Biking
07:06:06 | 111 miles | 15.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2843
Performance:
My ride time was 6h 46m 47s for an average pace of 6h 46m 47s. Lap Data Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 1h 09m 55s 20.01 miles 17.17 mph 2 1h 12m 37s 20.53 miles 16.96 mph 3 1h 16m 14s 19.52 miles 15.36 mph 4 1h 12m 58s 20.34 miles 16.73 mph 5 29m 46s 9.62 miles 19.40 mph 6 1h 22m 22s 19.96 miles 14.54 mph 7 02m 54s 0.92 miles 19.00 mph
Wind: Some
Course: The course really only got windy to the point of affecting the ride towards the end. The course takes you from down town, to the east side, over to the west side, and then back into town. Not overly hilly but there are some inclines to deal with and then a few sharp climbs. Two washes to go through. One wasn't so bad and you could ride a fair amount of it. The other one sucked and you had to walk it, and of course it is the bigger one. Some of the roads were nice and smooth and a joy to ride over, some really really really sucked. Saw a bit of everything
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-20 8:43 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: El Tour de Tucson - 111 Mile Route

2011-11-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3908808

Regular
Tucson
Subject: RE: El Tour de Tucson - 111 Mile Route
Great report!  I too was amazed at the law enforcement presence.  They were great and did a sweet job of traffic control.  Great job on the century!  I noticed that as well, about the many wrecks.  One was on an incline, a weird place to crash - looked like a collarbone.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » El Tour de Tucson - 111 Mile Route Rss Feed