Adirondack Medical Center
27F / -3C
Overcast
Total Time = 24m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Same as for all my short early morning runs - coffee, apple, and water beforehand. DID add a half-packet of Gu before the gun.
Event warmup:

Freezing cold out, so made sure to warmup - about a quarter mile with some strides thrown in.
Run
  • 24m 37s
  • 3.07 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Set Garmin to show average and current pace since goal was 8 minute miles and I didn't want to go out too fast. First mile felt pretty good - found a girl to tuck behind who was going a good pace, she died around mile 1.5 so I passed her, although I definitely hit a rough spot there myself. Just told myself that there was no PHYSICAL reason to stop running so hard - the hurt was all in my head - and just kept finding people to pull me along. Had an 8:05-ish average until the last downhill, where I FLEW to get that 8:00 (I thought) average. Turns out it was more 8:01-8:02 because the Garmin display truncates instead of rounding up, but still happy with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

On this particular day? Not much. I would have eeked out a couple seconds had I known I wasn't REALLY at that 8:00 average I wanted, but the pacing, and heartraces were spot-on.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged back up the course to find my boyfriend and cheer him in through the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of 5K-specific training. Just don't have my old speed right now. This is literally the fastest I've run for any real length of time in over two years, so can't complain though even if I was way off my PR.

Event comments:

Good race and well-organized, but no prize ceremony. Everyone just kind of left while the organizers were waiting for the walkers to come through. Oh well - it IS a holiday and people have places to be. So no idea what my placing was.

Last updated: 2011-11-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:37 | 03.07 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile One: 8:10, 164 avg HR Mile Two: 7:58, 177 avg HR Mile Three: 7:58, 179 avg HR Last .07: 0:30 (6:51 pace), 180 avg HR Avg HR: 173 Z1: 14 secs Z2:11 secs Z3: 3:52 Z4: 8:30 Z5: 7:54 (Isn't that physiologically impossible? Proof that my zones need to be rechecked.)
Course: Start at the Olympic Oval, around Mirror Lake, and back down. A couple climbs at the beginning and at at the 3 mile mark (Ouch!), but a nice downhill to bomb at the finish. Sidewalks and roads were a bit icy and had some packed snow on them in places.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes