General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:40A. Packed the car the night before so I just ate a banana and some toast and hit the road. Arrived at the park at 6:15A; plenty of time to set up and see how everything will work.
Event warmup:

Water temp was 70F, so most wore wetsuits; waded in to acclimate, did some strokes. Everything is ok.

There was a thread in the forums about why tris are so intimidating. I'm not intimidated but certainly feel somewhat out of place with the twenty-somethings, hard bodies, and latest equipment. But, as my wife reminds me, I'm not twentysomething anymore - 46 - and I don't have a hard body at 225# (thought that's a lot better than 265# a couple of years ago.) I'm comfortable where I'm at and do my best not to make the comparison to all of the younger competitors, veterans and those with the latest equipment. I do this because it's a personal challenge; it keeps me fairly fit; it gives me personal goals to shoot for; and it's fun - not for comparison purposes.
Swim
  • 21m 33s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well....apparently I just suck at OWS. Pool training has been great this season so I was pretty confident that this would be a good swim. All started well for first couple of hundred yards; got kicked, took in some water, and the rest is history. Did the best I could to get back into a smooth stroke, but it never came. Very similar situation to first tri last year. Never, ever thought it would have been this bad this year!
What would you do differently?:

Get a coach and figure out how to OWS
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Uphill walk to the transition area; HR was high so I took longer than planned. A little trouble getting wetsuit off, then socks on. Just slow.

Train without socks.
Bike
  • 42m 30s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 15.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was ok, perhaps even beat my goal of >16mph - splits from my watch say it was 16.5mph avg. Computer said 15.7 but that included walking through the transition area, so I guess 16.1 mph is about right. Rolling up hills for first mile, right turn, then rolling hills for next three. I felt pretty good actually, enjoying the ride. Big downhill, hit max 35 mph, then several big uphills for next three/four miles or so. Switched gears a good bit to keep cadence up. Last two/three miles flat to rolling to downhill back to park. HR was good coming into transition. Didn't get passed by many people, passed a few. Overall, not a bad bike ride for me.

Continue to work on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Pretty good here; everything off, running shoes on.

Nothing
Run
  • 36m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually ok, (after a pit stop on the way out - I had to pee in the worst sort of way) my goal was to run the entire course, but I did some walking up the biggest hills.

The killer was...the volunteer at the last turn coming back was not at the turn. The group I was in was running down the dirt road for a quarter mile or so, when we noticed that we didn't see anyone and nothing looked familiar. After some indecision we decided that we missed the turn. We turned around and sure enough we did. My estimate was 5-6 minutes of time lost due to the error. So I'm arbitrarily reducing my run time by 6 minutes to account for the delay.

More training miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Cookies, fruit, Endurox R4; walked around some to see what was going on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training time.

My time was signficantly better than my first Sprint tri last year, that's good. I've got to figure out the swim. I had this down as a C race, since it was the first of the season and I only had a little over two months of training; So...I won't let the "poor" performance bother me, but will let it be my motivation to do much better at the next Spring in six weeks.

Went straight to youngest son's baseball game after the tri. Several of the parents commented..."That's so cool", "I'm so impressed", "How did you do that", etc. Which reminded me that even coming pretty close to DFL, again, is better than DNS, DNF any day.

On to the Sprint to Olympic bridge plan for training, and better next time. Oh, and do some bricks to prepare for the run.

Last updated: 2006-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:33 | 600 meters | 03m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Actual times, with adjustments as noted in the Run section (because a group of us missed the turn.)
Suit: Zoot
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:30 | 11.2 miles | 15.81 mile/hr
Performance:
Average about 155 for total bike. I intended to ride comfortably to save something for the hills, and the run.
Wind: None
Course: Counterclockwise bike with rolling hills to big hills to rolling hills to downhill. Good roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:54 | 03.1 miles | 11m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Averaged about 150 for the run
Course: Loop around the lake to dirt road to paved road. flat to hilly to flat to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-29 2:14 PM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2006-04-29 2:41 PM
in reply to: #410011

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
Hey, great race! I'm sorry we didn't meet, I ran into a few BTers there, thanks to the new tattoos. That swim was more of a brawl than any I've been in, it drained me pretty good, too. And abear2 almost missed the same turn you did, but someone warned her I think.

We are doing all the Tri the Parks, with the possible exception of Mistletoe, so hopefully we'll run into you. Keep up the good work!
2006-04-29 8:18 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Great Race - and I love walking around with the sharpie on me b/c of those comments.   
2006-04-30 12:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Great race and thanks for the report, especially your comments about doing it for the personal challenge. I'm 7 weeks into training, and 44 y/o. My first tri ever will be the one in Mistletoe, and I'm just hoping to enjoy the race and do well for me, whatever that turns out to be. I hope my ego is prepared to be passed by many.
2006-04-30 6:56 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Good job. Fortunately, missed turns and learning to OWS are things that can be fixed. If you are doing Appling, Fort Yargo, or West Point Lake I'll see you there.

I'll see you at Missletoe, D!

Edited by Bluejack 2006-04-30 6:57 AM
2006-04-30 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hey! I almost missed that turn too in the run! Luckily there was someone coming back up the race course that had already finished . I had to ask her which way the course went.

That swim was crazy!

Great race!

2006-04-30 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Great race and way to beat last years time!!
2006-04-30 10:34 AM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Thank you to all for the kind words.  I am planning on most of the Tri the Parks races again this year.  I've got to get a BT temp tatoo so that I can me some of you personally - I'm looking forward to that!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed