Mile High United Way
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 2s
Overall Rank = 247/7077
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 13/247
Pre-race routine:

Because the start time was late I was up in plenty of time and drank way too much coffee. Met up with a friend and carpooled to the park and arrived about an hour before the race.

The first time I ran this race was back in 1984 and have run the race at least 15-times over the years. However, this was the first time I've run the Washington park Turkey Trot since 2003. It was fun to get out and run this race again.
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile warm-up at the park and for some reason I thought the race started at 10am and lined up about 9:55. The race start time was actually 10:15. Stood in the crowd longer than I would have liked but at least I had a good spot towards the front.
Run
  • 29m 2s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to hold 7 minute miles for the race. Went out hard and was just under 7-minutes at mile one and felt that I could keep around 7s for the remaining 3-miles. What I had forgotten about this course is while it is very flat, the first mile is slightly downhill and the 2nd and 3rd mile there is a slight uphill.I wasn't close to 7mm for the remaining miles.

I never really felt that I died on the course as I was not getting passed much and I was not doing much passing as well. I was wearing my garmin and tried to surge once in a while and get my pace under 7-minutes but I just could not hole it for long. The last 10-minutes or so I just quit looking at it and ran on how I felt.
What would you do differently?:

I would like to say that there is something that I could do that would have allowed me to finish under 7-minute miles. But really, the race went as well I could have for me. I don't think I could have really pushed any harder and the only thing I can do to get faster is run more and consistently focus on speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and a bagel and headed to the beer garden. :) met up with the friend I carpooled with and a few other people. We hung out until they closed the beer garden. Fun times!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a bike accident over the summer which through my training and racing schedule off for the year. This was only my second race this year and the first stand-alone running race for me. I may have been better prepared had i raced a little more over the summer. But really, right now this is about as fast as I can run 4-miles.

Event comments:

I've always enjoyed doing the Mile High Turkey Trot but it is not exactly convenient for me to get down to Washington Park on Thanksgiving day. My wife and kids originally said they wanted to run so I signed up last week thinking we would all go down together. They changed their minds so I decided to go down anyway and really had a good time seeing some old friends. And temps in the 60s on Thanksgiving Day! Really couldn't have been better.

Last updated: 2011-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:02 | 04 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/247
Overall: 247/7077
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:53 Mile 2: 7:15 Mile 3: 7:34 Mile 4: 7:19 Avg HR: 150 Max HR: 170
Course: Very flat - one large loop and one small loop around Washington park
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-11-25 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: Mile High United Way Turkey Trot

2011-11-25 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3914823

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Mile High United Way Turkey Trot

Nice job even if you didn't reach the goal. (held your splits better than I did)

Great day out there

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mile High United Way Turkey Trot Rss Feed