General Discussion Triathlon Talk » visiting Oakland Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-25 4:33 PM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA
Subject: visiting Oakland

I am from PA and will be in Oakland Dec. 1-4 taking a mosaic class at the Institute of Mosaic Art. Looking for a place to run or hike or someone that lives near that would want to hike/run before or after class.

Thanks - Mary Ann at [email protected]

2011-11-27 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3914982

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: visiting Oakland

You should be able to find a good trail on this site:

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/redwood

I've hiked and rode mtn bikes in Tilden Park and I've parked in the parking lot up on Skyline and I've run and hiked the East and West Ridge Trails in the Joaquin Miller Park  This is a very popular spot to start your hike, and you'll see tons of people out walking their dogs.  Unfortunately, I dont live in the Easy Bay so I rarely make it over that way.  

Edited by betyoursilver 2011-11-27 7:54 PM
2011-12-01 11:53 PM

User image

Oakland is home for me. That institute isn't something I'd ever heard of but looking it up shows that it is way on the bay side of the city. It is a former industrial area that is full of artist live/work lofts. There's a shoreline path that runs near there that might suffice for a run if you don't have much time.

Getting to the parks in the hills would take at least 20 minutes from there. The ridge trails mentioned above are nice but are actually in Redwood park (as you can sort of see from the URL), which is across the street from Joaquin Miller Park. JMP has more shade. Redwood has better views and lots of big friendly off leash dogs.

If you have a sweet tooth stop by the cafe named Powderface in the Fruitvale BART village and get some made-to-order beignet. Looks like the Institute is only a few blocks away from there.

2011-12-02 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
You definitely want to run at Redwood Park. It's so beautiful there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » visiting Oakland Rss Feed