Austin, Texas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 23
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It's my tradition to go to my buddy's house on Wednesday night for a turkey fry party. With that in mind, I have been very hungover for this race the past few years, this one included. I woke up early to make sure I got enough water and food in my to try and get back to normal. Had a banana, some toast with peanut butter and some oatmeal. Probably drank 2 liters of water.
Event warmup:

I decided to park pretty far from the race site because the traffic was so bad. I guess my warmup was the mile + walk to the beginning of the race. I was running a little late, so I had to start towards the back and the entire race I was trying to get past all the people walking with kids in buggies and stuff.
Run
  • 44m 51s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting towards the back was a big mistake, because I don't think a single person passed me for the entire race. I am sure if I started closer to the front I would have been much faster. That being said, I wasn't trying to push it too hard, because I have a marathon on Dec. 11. I like running in Austin because there are always interesting things to see and the last bit of the course went along a "lake". I felt pretty good the entire time and was never uncomfortable despite my state of being hungover. All in all it was fun.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front. If I was actually trying to race it, not be hungover.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked almost a mile to see a friend I hadn't seen in a while at whole foods and then walked back to my truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

People in the way the entire time, being hungover

Event comments:

This is a very popular Turkey Trot and I heard there was over 20,000 people doing it. With that in mind, it went very smoothly. Water tables were less than a mile apart and spectators along with participants are all there to have fun.

Last updated: 2011-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:51 | 05 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: It was a big loop. A few hills. One really steep up and down.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes