General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Off Road Sprint Duathlon & Relay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Off Road Sprint Duathlon & Relay - DuathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wading River, New York
United States
Dirty Events Multisport Racing
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 12s
Overall Rank = 142/174
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

I followed a modified version of the Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan, concentrating solely on biking and running.
Event warmup:

Showed up at 7am and registered. Wandered around to about 8:15am and then began did a 5-min walk, followed by a 10-min slight jog, followed by a 10-min stretch, followed by a 10-min jog, and then walked for 5-min. This brought me up to the Pre-Race Meeting at 8:55am and the race started at 9am.
Run
  • 19m 45s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Do the small trails, the run was gummed up at first, not for much movement or a quick start. After my 5K experience, I started in the back of the pack and found that it allowed me to run at my own pace and pass people selectively, rather than feel that I needed to keep up with certain people. The course itself was tricky. I trained basically on flat roads, but this race was an off-road trail race. The elevation changes were a bit tricky for me and the uneven terrain was also a bit tricky, but I made it through OK in this section.

NOTE: The times for everything (except the overall time) is a guestimate because the race officials didn't track this information.
What would you do differently?:

As mentioned, the elevation change and running surface were a bit tricky for me. Training on these type of conditions would definitely help my race-day results.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Fairly easy transition for me. The transition set-up I used was very good (towel, shoes opened up, helmet on bike, bike in a middle range gear to allow me to get going).

Good transition. I was very happy with how I transitioned here.
Bike
  • 83m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 7.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Good, fun course. Made me wish that I hadn't stayed away from mountain biking for close to 7 years! This was the first time my bike went off-road in that long! I can't believe it! About 3/4 of the way through the first loop I realized that I needed to pee. I was over-hydrated. I held it in and it ended up being OK, but I more or less had to make a beeline for the restrooms at the end of the race :)

Train offroad! Like I had said, I hadn't mountain biked for about 7 years. I'm used to more or less pointing the bike in one direction and going, but the twisting, turning, up, and down of mountain biking really slowed me down. I also need to lengthen my training rides to make sure that 10 miles is doable. I don't think I would have had issue on the road, but offroad is a completely different story.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Again, another pretty good transition, all things considered. I had made sure to keep my running shoes opened up so it was an easy slip off/on and tie situation.

Pretty happy with this transition.
Run
  • 21m 12s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

About 200 yards into this leg both of my calves cramped up big time. I think it was due to being up on my toes for a majority of the bike section. I'm not sure though. Needless to say, this situation REALLY limited my speed. Also, about halfway through the segment my right quad cramped up, so I was really hobbled. I utilized a run/walk approach to this leg with the sole intent of just getting done. I probably could have taken about 3-5 minutes off my time if I hadn't experienced the cramping.

My legs just weren't ready for this absue. Running/biking off-road is something I didn't do to get ready for this race and it showed in my overall performance
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water and gatorade until the cramps in my legs went away (or subsided, they are still a bit tight a few hours later).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Incorrect training methods as I mentioned a few times. Off-road work should have been mandatory for me before this race and it wasn't. I need to work on elevation changes for both my running and biking, as well as re-learning a bit of my mountain biking skills. Although, I was rather happy with the 'muscle memory' with regards to my mountain biking. It came back pretty naturally.

Event comments:

I would like to see better timing at this race - giving an overall time doesn't really help the competitors see where they can improve their skills. There also were no trail maps available so that those of us who had never been to this Boy Scout Camp before could get a visual of the trail.

All that being said, I'm still planning on doing the fall version of this race, however I won't be disappointed if I chose to just do a road race that month instead. The 1+ hour drive and incomplete data availability does not make this race a "Have To" for me. That being said, I still think it was fairly well put together and a fun race. The course was very challenging and fun and that would be the primary reason why I'd come back to this race in the future.

Just FYI -

11/17 in the Clydesdale division
10/11 in my age group (Male 25-29) - if I competed in that

Last updated: 2006-04-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:45 | 02 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/174
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:83:15 | 10 miles | 7.21 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Great course! Lots of fun singletrack that had all kinds of switchbacks on it. Elevation changes allowed for all kinds of fun ups and downs. There was also a flat section that wound through the woods that kicked ass! There was also a wooden birm to go over, a wooden bridge at the bottom of a gully, and a wooden 'jump' (up ramp to a trailer bed to a down ramp). Super fun! The course was a 5-mile loop that we did twice.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:12 | 02 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Same course as the first running segment
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-30 1:59 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY
Subject: Spring Off Road Sprint Duathlon & Relay
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Off Road Sprint Duathlon & Relay Rss Feed