Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 35m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

My first 5K and my first road race ever!!! I did a 5 minute run, 1 minute walk combination for the duration of the race. Course was mainly flat with a few minor inclines, and a little wet from the drizzle so I didn't want to fall on my butt! I felt good, except for the beginnings of a side-stitch at around the 2.5mile mark which some deep breathing and a slower pace took care of.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't wear so much! I had never run in rain/drizzle so I was worried about getting cold. I wore my capri running tights (which is what I usually wear) a short sleeved performance tee and a long sleeve half zip mock performance t on top. I got hot around mile 1 and unzipped my long sleeve tee and hiked up the sleeves. It didn't get too bad or I would have just pulled the long sleeve off and tied it around my waist. Also, I would have pushed it a bit more - I could have run a bit faster but I afraid that I wouldn't have the juice for the whole distance. Since this was my first 5K run - even in practice - I just didn't know how to pace.
Post race
Event comments:

Run started a little late due to many late arrivals picking up their packets and chips right up to the start. I just wanted to get on with it because I had worked overnight the night before and was afraid I'd get tired! Since it was a mass start, I appreciate that they wanted everyone ready to go, and I think the rainy weather contributed to late arrivals. Other than that, race was well organized, quite a few volunteers braving the conditions, a decent post-race buffet and a pretty enthusiastic group of racers! Also, all funds, approximately $17,000 per race organizers, will be going to support cancer programs here in mid-Missouri.

Last updated: 2006-04-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:37 | 03.11 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Max heartrate was 190 which is the highest I've seen since wearing my monitor! Average HR was 171 for race which is slightly higher than where I train at (165)
Course: Relatively flat course through the University of Missouri campus. Though it was a Saturday, there was a high school music competition going on so there was a lot of pedestrian traffic near the fine arts buildings and quite a bit of motor traffic. Excellent volunteers helped direct the traffic and keep up running!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes