General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
La Quinta, California
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 31s
Overall Rank = 87/252
Age Group = 46 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 430, Had a pop tart and some gatorade. Left at 5 am. Got to the event and set up in the transition area. Nice area. hung out and mentally prepared. Took some pics with my buddy.
Event warmup:

Got wetsuit on. Did some dynamic warm up and then went into the water to acclimate.
Swim
  • 21m 3s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Horrible swim again.....water was 54 degrees and that wasnt an issue or problem. I started off the 1st 25 yards great...then all of the sudden, I had troubles breathing. Dont think it was a panic attack but I had difficulty getting into any rythym. Im disappointed but i trudged along
What would you do differently?:

I dont know what else i can do....i m taking classes, i do OWS all the time...just go to suck it up and be better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

average T1...i could do better

be more swifter
Bike
  • 38m 55s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice course..the beginning of the road was a little rough. There was a nice little head wind coming back. I did fine considering.

To be honest, i dont know. I guess i could have pushed harder. I thought i was going pretty hard as it was. My ave HR was 151 and cadence was 90 rpm
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

average T2....could be better....switch off bike shoes and into run shoes pretty decent

Again be more swifter.
Run
  • 24m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran alright...i thought I was going pretty hard and fast for myself...I was racing with a buddy and I knew he wasnt far behind me so I was trying to keep going so he would never pass me. He never did pass me!!

maybe go a little harder....i thought i ran well overall.
Post race
Warm down:

had a muffin and a little OJ and water...walked around and got warm...it got windier and colder

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my crappy swim....my g/f says its a mental block in my head....i figure I am good for another 10 minutes or so...with a better swim/bike/run.. I still have about 25 lbs to lose too. Once i get down in my weight, i should be even faster

Event comments:

This was HITS 1st race. There were a bunch of blunders BUT what do you expect when its the first race. The Race Director was shouting instructions did not use a bullhorn. He used a whistle to start the race. There was no real markings for the start of the swim portion. The bike portion was not marked. There wasnt a lot of aid stations. The results did not produce a run time and it didnt tell how you did in your age/division.
Lastly, my g/f was watching the swim and there were a few panic attacks. There weren't enough lifeguards. Triathetes had to stop and help they people. It got desparate enough that another spectator asked a HITS person what they were going to do and let a person drown, so that HITS person jumped in the water to help save the person. It was choatic. I am sure they will get it right. Overall, I am still glad that I did the triathlon. I got 3rd in my age group and would love to return to this race!

Last updated: 2011-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:03 | 820 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU Velocity V:1
Course: Swim out and back
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 54F / 12C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:55 | 12.4 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Performance: Good
AVE HR 151
Wind: Headwind
Course: out and back. couple of short hills but mostly flat and pretty fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:44 | 03.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Ave HR 159
Course: out and back...little hill but again mostly flat...same as the bike course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-12-04 1:49 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course

2012-08-19 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3925584

User image

New user

Subject: RE: HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course
Hi sir. Is this a point to point tri? I wanted to stay in La Quinta Resort and Spa (host hotel) but when I Googled the resort, it is 10 miles from the lake. I am kind of confused because the HITS event people said that the race will end at the hotel. Please share more details about the course and locations of transition area and finish line. Appreciate the info. Thank you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course Rss Feed