Metro PCS Dallas White Rock Marathon
43F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 40m 8s
Overall Rank = 450/9650
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 54/656
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:35am, took a shower and headed out around 5:20am. For the race, wore a cap, neck warmer (off by mile 2), short sleeve shirt, running vest, arm warmers, gloves, tri-shorts, wool socks, Saucony Kinvara 2 shoes. Given the rain, this worked out pretty good and only thing I would change would be a more waterproof vest and a less absorbent shirt (my shirt weighed at least a pound or so after I took it off). Race singlet next time! I was soaked and carrying a lot of added weight by the end. Might also try using shoes with drain holes for the water to drain out.

Made good time as traffic wasn't bad and ate a Clif bar and banana on the way. Got to Fair Park pretty quickly and had time to hit the restroom, relax, warm-up indoors, then hit the restroom one more time before the race start. It made a big difference getting there a little after 6am vs last year's last minute craziness.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 10 laps inside the Colosseum (nice and warm and indoors). Stretched a bit.
Run
  • 1h 40m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Initially, this was going to be my "A" Race of the Winter Running Season before I take it easy over the holidays. However, at the end of October, I got a bad flu, which lead to bronchitis and a sinus infection. That knocked me out for almost 2 weeks. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it because the lack of exercise, dehydration, and the antibiotics conspired to give me the most awful and severe gout attack ever - with my right foot getting swollen and pretty much being on crutches and limping for another week. No running (or swimming and very limited cycling) meant that I was going to lose a lot of fitness. My plan prior to my physical issues was to run close to my 10K pace from the Tour de Fleur (7:00/mile) and just keep going until I blew up and had to slow down. By the end of November, my goal became "Just Finish" as I didn't even know if I could race 13.1 miles with my longest training run in 5 weeks being about 8 miles at a very slow pace.

I got a week of training in prior to the race and decided I would try to at least match my first half marathon time (this same race last year) of about 1:45 which meant I had to pace just slightly below 8:00. I started there and started going a little faster depending on how I felt. My HR at a particular pace was around 8-10bpm faster than my best runs in October so I had to keep that in mind.

Mile 1-3.5 (first 5K) - I felt pretty good and was running around a 7:40 pace. I was feeling very confident and was holding a good pace and a pretty comfortable effort (no hard breathing and I knew I can hold this pace until the end of the race).

Mile 3.5 - 6.5 (next 5K) - I told myself not to get to excited and with changes in elevation (and noticing my HR creep up), I decided to be a bit conservative as I was feeling some slight soreness on my right leg/knee area. Nothing too bad until probably after the Mile 6 marker and the pain was becoming more of an intermittent sharp pain. This made me extremely worried and tried to focus on keeping good form. I took 2 Endurolyte capsules around 45 minutes in, and then right around 55 minutes, I also took a Hammer Gel. I did walk the 2 water stations were I took in the capsules and the gel to see if my right leg would feel better.

Mile 6.5-Mile 9 (next 5K or so) - This was the part where I thought I may be in trouble. After Mile 8, my right leg was feeling some pretty sharp pain and I decided to walk in fear of making the injury worse. I know lactate acid/muscle burn type of pain, and this was a more sinister joint type of pain. I walked for probably 90 seconds and felt my leg get better and thought that I'd try running with a different gait and see whether it helped. I consciously did a longer stride, landed closer to my mid-foot, and let the cadence drop a little. I noticed the pain didn't return and when I checked my Garmin at Mile 9, I was right around 1hr 10 minutes. I crossed the 15K mark at around 1:15 and I realized that I had a shot at a PR even with the unscheduled walking. I slowly ramped up speed to see if the pain would return but it stayed away.

Mile 9.5-finish (last 6K) - I told myself that I only had about a 5K left and I had to run it quick to PR so I opened up my stride and started pushing harder. With about 2 miles left, I then realized that I had a shot of getting to 1:40 (100 minutes) so I just went for it as I chased another runner. I was still worried about my leg so I didn't want to really go all out (visions of having to stop with a few hundred meters left came to mind) but just kept pushing a little bit more. I saw 1:39 on my watch with a few hundred meters remaining and when I crossed the line, I knew I was right at 1:40 as I stopped my watch a few seconds after crossing the line and it showed 1:40:14. A new Personal Record (and my 3rd in a row since my first half marathon last year)!
What would you do differently?:

Get to train before the event. My lack of long runs the past 5 weeks hurt me. It would've been nice to get 2-3 more long runs before having to taper for the race. I also wished I knew I had a shot at breaking 100 minutes today as I would've gone a little bit faster to go under that time. I'm sure I could've found 8 seconds somewhere.

Also, not training (and having to limp around for a week) weakened something in my right leg, causing my IT band and knee to be sore. Consistent training and foam rolling/massage would've prevented that and allowed me the confidence to go faster. I was running the race worried that I may have to stop at any point.

Also, I would've liked a vest and shirt that absorbed less water as my clothes were pretty soaked and heavy by the end. Perhaps a race singlet with the arm warmers would've worked fine and more waterproofing for the gloves.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, I was freezing after the race and had to get out of the wet clothes. Used my finisher shirt and then did some light stretching indoors

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training in the 5+ weeks leading up to the race.

Event comments:

Good race and I hope to do it again next year. They were very organized and with the exception of the 43F weather, wind, and rain, it would've been great. I plan on doing this race again next year!

Last updated: 2011-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:08 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/656
Overall: 450/9650
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around the downtown Dallas area
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3