United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 19s
Overall Rank = 972/6000
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 102/298
Pre-race routine:

Nick and I took the bus up to Lake Folsom from our hotel in sacramento at 5am. Weather was in the 40*'s and the terrible winds from the days before had thankfully subsided. We used the vast amount of porto-poties and tried to stay warm in our cheap gloves, hat, and trash bag sweatshirt. For breakfast I had a bread roll with peanut butter, small cliff bar, cytomax, banana, gu.
Event warmup:

We did a bit of light jogging down the lines of the bathrooms and tried to stay warm. some light stretching. stayed in the bus with the heaters till about 10 min to start.
Run
  • 3h 24m 19s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

my running partner and i planned to run with the 3:30 pace group for the first 20 miles and then go from there. Well, that plan went out the window about mile 5 when the 3:35 pace group got ahead of the 3:30 leader. We got a little confused and picked it up a bit to find the 3:30 leader, but later found out the 3:35 had just gone out too fast. No worries, both of us had Garmins so we paced off of them. We were pretty well spot on. We finished the first half a minute ahead of the 3:30 sched. We gained 5 minutes on the back half as we hammered the last 10k. I dont believe anyone passed us past mile 20 and we cruised past hundreds of people to a 3:24 finish. Nick's kick was better than mine down the stretch and beat me by 9 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I only was getting in 25-35 miles per week. Focus more on 35-50 and do one week of speed. Race went great however.
Post race
Warm down:

3 cartons of chocolate milk. Bagel, shower, pizza, beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Low volume

Event comments:

Loved the face for my first marathon. Great number (12,000ish including relay runners) great aid stations and volunteers. Only down side was the beer garden consisted of cans of bud light and coors.....really?

Last updated: 2011-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:24:19 | 26.2 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 102/298
Overall: 972/6000
Performance: Good
First 20 miles were all from 7:45-8:00. Did about 7:30 from 20-23. Then hammered the last 5k with sub 7:20 pace.
Course: Course was very flat. It's sacramento. Nothing super scenic. Enjoyed the turns through fair oaks and the finish at the capital building.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes