The Alta Club
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 50s
Overall Rank = 22/138
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Morning protien shake. Drove to venue with Laura. Got her registered (she ran pushing baby jogger). =)
Event warmup:

Visit to porto-potie. Light stretching. 10 minute light WU jog getting HR to z2 low z3. Relax and stretch at start line while waiting.
Run
  • 22m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good about the entire race. Good pacing. Pushed it hard. RPE was high though HR was still lower than expected (fitness just getting better I guess). Improved splits for each mile. Finished strong. Sprinted the last 100 yards. Had I started sprint sooner I could have caught the guy who finished in front of me. He was ahead about 70 yds when I started the sprint and only finished 5 yds or so ahead.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. Perhaps spend a more time in the bathroom before race. There was a good deal of uncomfort from mile 2 on needing to use the restroom again.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediate visit to porto-potie. Stretch. Bannana. Water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HR still low? Wondering now if it is just improvement in fitness.

With more training I will continue to go faster. Sub 21 minute 5k is an achievable goal this year . . . wasn't sure of that when I set it.

Event comments:

This was a great little race. Well organized. For a good cause (Make-a-Wish Foundation). Convenient parking. Beautiful course (and fast). Perfect weather. Nice looking long sleeve tee. A good number of participants . . . but not too many. Winning race time was 17.05.

Last updated: 2006-04-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:50 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 22/138
Performance: Good
1 mile pace ~7.44 2 mile pace ~7.26 3 mile pace ~7.05
Course: Start at Bonneville loop north east corner of state capitol and up to 11th Ave. Turn around at 11th Ave. and down to Memory Grove trail. Race finishes at bell in Memory Grove. Elev. Avg: 4604 Elevation Gain: -118 feet Up/Downhill: [+354/-472]
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes