General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 25s
Overall Rank = 129/294
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 22/25
Pre-race routine:

Set transition area and get body mark.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the park area and mental preparation.
Swim
  • 17m 15s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Terrible swim. I was not prepared for this race at all but I never thought I am so mentality not focused. I am pretty sure I am one of the last few in my wave group to complete the swim leg. The wetsuit did not help my stroke at all since I swim breaststroke. It was the longest agony I spend in water. I constantly repeated that I will do fine in the bike and run -- just keep on swimming.....
What would you do differently?:

Must prepare my mental focus. The swim is my weakest and hardest leg. Must hit the pool more often. This is get better. I know I will struggle at Fort Yargo in May but I should be fine after that May race. STAY FOCUS!
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

The wetsuit and time chip -- bad combo! I had to struggle to pull the suit off. Other than that the transition was fine.

Lubricate my skin better with PAM so the suit would slide off easier.
Bike
  • 35m 41s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

First 3 miles was hard for me as I needed to regroup my mental focus back to the race after the horrific swim. It took some digging on my part -- it was nice to see the pack in front of me on the hills. I knew I could catch up.....

Keep my training schedule as is -- my hill climbs are better than last season and I am biking faster. I have to drink more to ensure proper hydration. Next race keep peddling hard.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

It's always nice to be in the last transition safely...

take a quick refueling...
Run
  • 22m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I always felt good in the run. I was upset that my stop watch stopped and I have no idea how to gauge my pace. I could had race faster if this did not occur! It's so nice to catch up all fast swimmers here. I should start accelaration sooner. It was a great run considering my bad start in the morning.

Trust my legs and go for the kill! Still a tad conservative on my run strategy.
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrate and walk off the pain!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental preparation -- I need to swim better in my own pace and not let the excitement to "poison" my focus.

Event comments:

I was nervous about this one since I was not able to train properly due to work schedules. I had terrible butterflies driving to the race site till close to start time. I was in a state of defeat before the swim and I knew I am in trouble. I was told a number of swimmer quit just after 25m of swimming -- and I am almost of of them. I kept ensuring myself to stay calm and finish the swim safely no matter how long it takes. The race will not be decided with the swim... I was glad I see land (found out later I got a splinter on my toe from running to T1). The bike was fine. After digging in, I got into a rhythm and finish the bike in decent time. The run was automatic. Next time, I should spend 30 seconds to hydrate myself and zoom out to the finish line. It feel so good to overtake other runners -- ego booster after the horrific swim. I must accelarate my pace to 6:45 pace right after the 1.5 mile marker to build up distance. Then slow to sub 7 and take it home with what is left in me. I must trust my legs -- the legs will tell my body and mind to to in sync and go for the kill. Today's lesson: Don't allow a slow start to control the outcome of the race. My goal is to finish in 1hour 10minutes range and I am off 8 minutes. 7 minutes was from the swim and I know if I DON'T CHOKE in the water, my goal is a realistic one. Keep on tri'ing!!!

Last updated: 2006-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:15 | 600 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/294
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes
Course: NASTY BROWN lake water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:41 | 11.2 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:27 | 03.1 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Park lakeside pavement, gravel off road and country road...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-01 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2006-05-01 10:22 PM
in reply to: #411879

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
oops...age group rank is actually 22 out of 35..typo....

cheers!!
2006-05-01 10:43 PM
in reply to: #411879

User image

Veteran
Great race! I think with your run pace you blew by me somewhere on the last mile. Next time say hello, I'm the plus size slowpoke with the BT tattoo (temporary of course) on my calf.

That was a tough swim, you made a great recovery. I hope we see you at Ft. Yargo.
2006-05-01 10:47 PM
in reply to: #411896

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
donmck - 2006-05-01 10:43 PM

Great race! I think with your run pace you blew by me somewhere on the last mile. Next time say hello, I'm the plus size slowpoke with the BT tattoo (temporary of course) on my calf.

That was a tough swim, you made a great recovery. I hope we see you at Ft. Yargo.

Thanks bud!! I will try to spot your at Fort Yargo. I probably will be the token asian racing that morning.... So, send me a shout out too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed