BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-03-25 11:47 PM
in reply to: #4112646

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
CyborgQueen - 2012-03-25 9:48 PM

YAHOO!! I'm a B.S. GRADUATE with honors in Game Art and Design! I also won Best in Show for my Portfolio table/Demo Reel for my major(utterly shocked about this one, but I got an edge in because I also displayed my traditional 2D drawings as well).  Spent three days working 9-12 hours editing my reel to a MUCH better Demo Reel. 

I'm BACK in training...and my body is going to HATE me this week because I need to get back into it. I am NOT worried about the Bike. Very slightly worried about the swim, but I've been the same speed for over a year, so I don't think I've missed anything much.  The run..eh, it'll be slow starting again, but should be much much easier.  I know I could have put in a few more runs/bike rides, but frankly, I really didn't feel like it and felt unmotivated and other lame excuse. Now I'm back on the saddle...literally. :-P

Now I'm going to reply to questions/posts/races since I last have been on BT. :-D  Here we go! (I *do* apologize if they've been old!)

Meulen - everyone has bad days. In fact, without fail, I always have one BAD run a month. It just pops up out of nowhere.  If you want to do your long runs on Saturdays, can you do your speedwork on Wednesday or Thursday and switch whatever that was on Wednesday/Thursday to Friday. That should work.

Carla - re: transitioning to outside. I know, it's a hassle for me too because there's no "good" bike paths/trails right outside my home...I have to drive 20-30 minutes away to get to the good areas. So annoying sometimes.  All I can say is...HTFU and get out there. :-D  I find myself going MUCH faster outside than indoors (no computrainer).   Can you find a training buddy? That'll help you a lot. You don't have to go at the same speed, just be there for one another, encourage each other, etc. I find that helps me a lot if I'm out with friends and stuff, and it doesn't feel like I'm training.  So, I definitely agree with the others...find a group ride. If you lived here, I definitely will ride with you, even if you're a little slower than me...I may go a little faster, but I'll be your rabbit. Talk to the group that sends out group rides and see if there's any C riders that you enjoy being with and set up a ride relationship. 

Congrats Wesley on your PR!

Ken - so far I really enjoy being with my Tri Club! I did the 5K race (but only did 2 miles, and they were totally cool with it). They had a triathlon today (which I'm glad I decided to skip...water was 56 degrees and the winds were unbelievable! - Skipped it because I cannot afford to be sore for a couple days, lack of training, and I was already committed to Bunco which was at the same time. However, I've heard so many good things about today's triathlon...If that Tri Club has a LOT of members, consistent workouts, and perhaps a few of them are in your area that you can ride/run with, if there's OWS on a weekly basis...I would do it. If they only do a small amount and not worth it, then skip it. Not a huge deal, but it can be a morale/confidence booster.

Robin - YAY! Welcome back to running!!

A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you DJ!  what a great accomplishment!

Edited by robingray_260 2012-03-25 11:48 PM

2012-03-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Congratulations DJ!!!

It was a pretty good weekend around here. I didn't get in as much bike training as I wanted last week. Had to get some projects done around the house.

The weekend was ok. I had a REALLY great interval run Friday night. I was surpised I could walk Saturday morning! LOL

Saturday, I went to masters and did some distance work and then did a spin class. It looked a pretty gloomy outside so I went back indoors for training and decided to hit spin class to mix up the monotony of the trainer. I should have done a little more time on the trainer when I got home, but I had a job interview. So I went home to put on more appropriate clothes and went back to the gym for the interview. I got the job! I'm going to a group fitness instructor at Lifetime Fitness. I'll be doing the outdoor rides for cycle club. The General Manager is really trying to expand that program and make it more of a team atmosphere, trying to pull in sponsors and created a better training and racing atomosphere. I didn't really care about the pay, but I'm really excited to be part of the program.

Sunday was a beautiful day. But I slept in! LOL Went to breakfast with my wife, and then took my friends daughther for the day. We took her to feed the ducks at the Riverwalk Downtown Naperville, out to get lunch, then back to our house. Anne took her to buy some toys to keep her occupied while I cut the lawn, took the covers off the patio furniter and took care of the weeds in the Landscaping. After that I did a 12 mile run. Then dropped off Maya at her parents house and went out to dinner with my wife.

Goals are going ok for the month. I've done more work on the bike and it's paid off some. I did not get a chance to do a 13.1 mile tempo run, but came close to 1:40 on a longer run during the month. I'm happy with that being I was sick some of this month and am still REALLY struggling with Allergies and sinus right now. My weight is stuck just und 170lbs!!! That's was a long shot goal for me. I'll keep working at getting closer to 160-165 but really want to concentrate on getting faster right now and don't want to compromise that with diet. Plus, my birthday was last week so I kinda gave myself a pass on diet for a bit. So if 165 comes it comes!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Edited by Meulen 2012-03-26 8:05 AM
2012-03-26 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4112683

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-25 11:27 PM
acv - 2012-03-23 1:55 PM

I feel like I'm over the hump so to speak, last week was a tough one. Only 3 weeks to go before my taper starts! It's been a fun experience.

16 miles tomorrow Cool

Adam - I know this post is a little late, but 16 Miles... NICE DISTANCE!  Sweet!

Thanks Carla it turned out to be a really good run.

2012-03-26 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

You guys are kicking some serious butt.  Awesome on the graduation and the mountain goat climbing and all.  Great to be doing so well so early.

I've been doing well too.  The bike has been good.  We're doing LT builds.  I went out for a group ride with the coach and some other guys int he network Saturday and did a 30 min. 90% LT ride just to get to the meeting place, then 3 X 12 mins at 100%.  50 miles.  Then went out and did 50 more on the TT bike yesterday.  Taking semi private swim lessons and reaping huge form and time benefits.  The run has been really good.  I'm crediting the strength exercises with kettlebells and the weight loss.  My coach said I should be training for an IM this year.  Don't think so.  Too much happening with the job buyout, etc.  But I am seriously thinking about adding a half IM, so I would do two and focusing on reducing time on the longer distance so I could try for a good time at IM Moo 2013 rather than just finishing, which was my main concern last year. 

Also going to sign up for International Triathlete Coaching Asso coaching certification online classes.  I'd like to learn the ins and outs of planning a year.  My coach is retired, his wife just retired and they have money and are building a place in Tucson so I think they will be pulling the plug soon. 

2012-03-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4112646

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-03-25 10:48 PM

YAHOO!! I'm a B.S. GRADUATE with honors in Game Art and Design! I also won Best in Show for my Portfolio table/Demo Reel for my major(utterly shocked about this one, but I got an edge in because I also displayed my traditional 2D drawings as well).  Spent three days working 9-12 hours editing my reel to a MUCH better Demo Reel. 

I'm BACK in training...and my body is going to HATE me this week because I need to get back into it. I am NOT worried about the Bike. Very slightly worried about the swim, but I've been the same speed for over a year, so I don't think I've missed anything much.  The run..eh, it'll be slow starting again, but should be much much easier.  I know I could have put in a few more runs/bike rides, but frankly, I really didn't feel like it and felt unmotivated and other lame excuse. Now I'm back on the saddle...literally. :-P

Now I'm going to reply to questions/posts/races since I last have been on BT. :-D  Here we go! (I *do* apologize if they've been old!)

Meulen - everyone has bad days. In fact, without fail, I always have one BAD run a month. It just pops up out of nowhere.  If you want to do your long runs on Saturdays, can you do your speedwork on Wednesday or Thursday and switch whatever that was on Wednesday/Thursday to Friday. That should work.

Carla - re: transitioning to outside. I know, it's a hassle for me too because there's no "good" bike paths/trails right outside my home...I have to drive 20-30 minutes away to get to the good areas. So annoying sometimes.  All I can say is...HTFU and get out there. :-D  I find myself going MUCH faster outside than indoors (no computrainer).   Can you find a training buddy? That'll help you a lot. You don't have to go at the same speed, just be there for one another, encourage each other, etc. I find that helps me a lot if I'm out with friends and stuff, and it doesn't feel like I'm training.  So, I definitely agree with the others...find a group ride. If you lived here, I definitely will ride with you, even if you're a little slower than me...I may go a little faster, but I'll be your rabbit. Talk to the group that sends out group rides and see if there's any C riders that you enjoy being with and set up a ride relationship. 

Congrats Wesley on your PR!

Ken - so far I really enjoy being with my Tri Club! I did the 5K race (but only did 2 miles, and they were totally cool with it). They had a triathlon today (which I'm glad I decided to skip...water was 56 degrees and the winds were unbelievable! - Skipped it because I cannot afford to be sore for a couple days, lack of training, and I was already committed to Bunco which was at the same time. However, I've heard so many good things about today's triathlon...If that Tri Club has a LOT of members, consistent workouts, and perhaps a few of them are in your area that you can ride/run with, if there's OWS on a weekly basis...I would do it. If they only do a small amount and not worth it, then skip it. Not a huge deal, but it can be a morale/confidence booster.

Robin - YAY! Welcome back to running!!

Congratulations DJ!  It has to be a big releif to have that behind you, I know it was a lot of hard work for you!

2012-03-26 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4112676

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-25 11:19 PM
kenj - 2012-03-22 12:48 PM

10 X 100's! Loads of fun, especially when my coach times it so if I am lucky I get 5 seconds rest for the last couple!  Have fun with these Carla!  Maybe you need your pup on deck! Wink

Ha, ha, ha Ken!!!  I'm not sure if my dog would be on deck on trying to race me in the 10 x 100's!!  She is good company for sure!

I like to swim with a pull buoy... and trained for two years with both buoy's and paddles.  My previous trainers wanted me to do it for strength... and now my current coach doesn't want me to use the buoy at all.

My thoughts are I swim with a wetsuit which provides buoyancy... so... not sure why there's always such a "HUFF" when I decide to do my sets with my buoy.  ::: Sigh::: 

I think the Swim TT is this week... I didn't look ahead... didn't want to burden my evening thinking about it!  Will post up when I do it... and I'll swim it, reluctantly, without the buoy! ~Carla

My swim coach cured me of my pull bouy addiction.  We do use it for certain drills, including the pull sets with and without paddles.  She also has me put it between my ankles for core work.  I do find I have become a better swimmer without it, but other hand I did complete 2 IM swims but in 2 years I was still swimming at the same pace.  So ask me again in November which is right!

2012-03-26 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4112984

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-03-26 9:04 AM Congratulations DJ!!! It was a pretty good weekend around here. I didn't get in as much bike training as I wanted last week. Had to get some projects done around the house. The weekend was ok. I had a REALLY great interval run Friday night. I was surpised I could walk Saturday morning! LOL Saturday, I went to masters and did some distance work and then did a spin class. It looked a pretty gloomy outside so I went back indoors for training and decided to hit spin class to mix up the monotony of the trainer. I should have done a little more time on the trainer when I got home, but I had a job interview. So I went home to put on more appropriate clothes and went back to the gym for the interview. I got the job! I'm going to a group fitness instructor at Lifetime Fitness. I'll be doing the outdoor rides for cycle club. The General Manager is really trying to expand that program and make it more of a team atmosphere, trying to pull in sponsors and created a better training and racing atomosphere. I didn't really care about the pay, but I'm really excited to be part of the program. Sunday was a beautiful day. But I slept in! LOL Went to breakfast with my wife, and then took my friends daughther for the day. We took her to feed the ducks at the Riverwalk Downtown Naperville, out to get lunch, then back to our house. Anne took her to buy some toys to keep her occupied while I cut the lawn, took the covers off the patio furniter and took care of the weeds in the Landscaping. After that I did a 12 mile run. Then dropped off Maya at her parents house and went out to dinner with my wife. Goals are going ok for the month. I've done more work on the bike and it's paid off some. I did not get a chance to do a 13.1 mile tempo run, but came close to 1:40 on a longer run during the month. I'm happy with that being I was sick some of this month and am still REALLY struggling with Allergies and sinus right now. My weight is stuck just und 170lbs!!! That's was a long shot goal for me. I'll keep working at getting closer to 160-165 but really want to concentrate on getting faster right now and don't want to compromise that with diet. Plus, my birthday was last week so I kinda gave myself a pass on diet for a bit. So if 165 comes it comes! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Sounds like you had a great weekend, and sleeping in once in a while on a Sunday is not a bad thing!  Glad to hear your goals are going well!

2012-03-26 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4113505

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2012-03-26 12:54 PM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-25 11:27 PM
acv - 2012-03-23 1:55 PM

I feel like I'm over the hump so to speak, last week was a tough one. Only 3 weeks to go before my taper starts! It's been a fun experience.

16 miles tomorrow Cool

Adam - I know this post is a little late, but 16 Miles... NICE DISTANCE!  Sweet!

Thanks Carla it turned out to be a really good run.

Glad to hear that Adam, the long runs can be taxing and to have them go well is a plus!!

2012-03-26 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4113524

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2012-03-26 1:02 PM

You guys are kicking some serious butt.  Awesome on the graduation and the mountain goat climbing and all.  Great to be doing so well so early.

I've been doing well too.  The bike has been good.  We're doing LT builds.  I went out for a group ride with the coach and some other guys int he network Saturday and did a 30 min. 90% LT ride just to get to the meeting place, then 3 X 12 mins at 100%.  50 miles.  Then went out and did 50 more on the TT bike yesterday.  Taking semi private swim lessons and reaping huge form and time benefits.  The run has been really good.  I'm crediting the strength exercises with kettlebells and the weight loss.  My coach said I should be training for an IM this year.  Don't think so.  Too much happening with the job buyout, etc.  But I am seriously thinking about adding a half IM, so I would do two and focusing on reducing time on the longer distance so I could try for a good time at IM Moo 2013 rather than just finishing, which was my main concern last year. 

Also going to sign up for International Triathlete Coaching Asso coaching certification online classes.  I'd like to learn the ins and outs of planning a year.  My coach is retired, his wife just retired and they have money and are building a place in Tucson so I think they will be pulling the plug soon. 

Glad to hear the training is going well Ice!! Good luck with the coaching, I think you would be good at it!

2012-03-26 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

It seems my bike computer has died and need some advice.  I have a cateye double strada cordless and I THINK it is the sensor on the rear chainstay that is not working, but not absolutely sure.  I can get a new sensor for $50 or the same unit new for around $80.  Since I don't know for sure what is wrong it would really suck to buy the sensor and that wasn't the problem.  So leaning toward the new unit.

However, I have a Garmin 305 and was wondering if a bike sensor for it (I think they are also around $50) would be the way to go. Has anyone used a garmin bike sensor with their watch and if so did you like it?

This really sucks as my bike computer is only a 1 1/2 years old and can't afford to ugrade to the Garmin Edge or equivalent right now. 

2012-03-26 6:34 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Robin

I think this is the one you need. Check to make sure.

http://m.heartratemonitorsusa.com/controller

$44

But, I don't think that site charges tax or shipping depending on where you live. Annnnnd use promo code CM10 for 10% off. I just googled it and found the promo code. Really because I just ordered a 910xt for myself!

2012-03-26 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4114280

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Meulen - 2012-03-26 6:34 PM Robin

$44

But, I don't think that site charges tax or shipping depending on where you live. Annnnnd use promo code CM10 for 10% off. I just googled it and found the promo code. Really because I just ordered a 910xt for myself!

yep that is the speed cadence sensor by Garmin and it says it is compatible with the 305 - just don't know how well it works, good price though.

Enjoy your new toy (somewhat jeolous!)!!!!!

2012-03-26 7:44 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Robin, I have 5 of those sensors on different bikes in my garage. It works well with the edge 705 that I use. I'm sure it will be the same with your 305
2012-03-26 7:45 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Btw...I love that it goes on the back wheel and you can track things on your trainer
2012-03-27 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4114378

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Meulen - 2012-03-26 7:45 PM Btw...I love that it goes on the back wheel and you can track things on your trainer

Thanks Brian - I am definately considering it!

2012-03-27 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I finally got the 500 yd swim TT in today and.... 7"09'!    super excited about the time as I was expecting about 20" slower! This is my fastest time since I quit swimming competetively (though back then I was sub 6"). I think the extra weight training has a lot to do with this number. So glad I got off my butt and did it!

2012-03-27 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4115982

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
robingray_260 - 2012-03-27 4:08 PM

Meulen - 2012-03-26 7:45 PM Btw...I love that it goes on the back wheel and you can track things on your trainer

Thanks Brian - I am definately considering it!

I think you'll be happy you did. Over the last 5 years I started with a Cateye computer and have eventually moved all my bikes, with the exception of my wife's (she hasn't asked yet! ), over to the garmin. It's a much easier platform and has more useful data to me. Plus, the added bonus of being able to hook up the power meter to it in some cases.
2012-03-27 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4115992

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
robingray_260 - 2012-03-27 4:13 PM

I finally got the 500 yd swim TT in today and.... 7"09'!    super excited about the time as I was expecting about 20" slower! This is my fastest time since I quit swimming competetively (though back then I was sub 6"). I think the extra weight training has a lot to do with this number. So glad I got off my butt and did it!

SMOKIN' FAST!!!! Nice swim!!!!
2012-03-27 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4115998

User image

Regular
Denver
Meulen - 2012-03-27 4:15 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-03-27 4:13 PM

SMOKIN' FAST!!!! Nice swim!!!!
Geezus!
2012-03-27 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
robingray_260 - 2012-03-27 2:13 PM

Wow -- great job, Robin! I'm rubbing that 7"09' on my monitor, hoping it will somehow magically jump over to me. But I don't think it will work. You've definitely earned it -- congrats!

2012-03-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4114355

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-03-26 8:31 PM

$44

yep that is the speed cadence sensor by Garmin and it says it is compatible with the 305 - just don't know how well it works, good price though.

Robin,

Did you try changing the batteries in the speed/cadence sensor?  I have a cat-eye on my road bike and just had to replace the battery this weekend.  Not a big deal.

I have the Garmin speed/cadence sensor on my old tri bike and it worked fine with the 305, you just need to read the directions to get it to sync up.  The nice think with that is the sensor is the same for all of their products so as you upgrade you wont need to change the sensor.  It works great once you get it to sync and the screens the way you want them.

2012-03-28 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-03-27 5:13 PM

Awesome swim Robin!

2012-03-28 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4117525

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2012-03-28 2:15 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-03-26 8:31 PM

$44

Robin,

Did you try changing the batteries in the speed/cadence sensor?  I have a cat-eye on my road bike and just had to replace the battery this weekend.  Not a big deal.

I have the Garmin speed/cadence sensor on my old tri bike and it worked fine with the 305, you just need to read the directions to get it to sync up.  The nice think with that is the sensor is the same for all of their products so as you upgrade you wont need to change the sensor.  It works great once you get it to sync and the screens the way you want them.

Yep, I tried changing the batteries on both the sensor and computer and did the reprogramming that is required and nada. Really stinks that the sensor is almost as expensive as the entire unit. Going to order the Garmin sensor today.

Thanks everyone for the kind words for my 500 TT - the suprising time really gave me a moral boost that I needed after the whole foot injury thing - which is still improving - yeah!

2012-03-28 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
About 10 days left of my tour of America!! (The best part, vacation!!).  All the travelling does make it tough to keep up with you guys and everything that you have going on!  Looks like everyone is having some great training though! 
2012-03-28 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Hey guys and girls sorry I've been away the pollen down here in GA kicked my butt..Got a sinus infection and suffered a lost week of training. Looks like everyone is doing well..Hopefully I can get back on track 30 days out from 2012 race season starting for me..

Great swim Robin..

everyone keep up the nice work..

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72