General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really bad eyesight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-11 6:49 PM

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Subject: Really bad eyesight
I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on contacts vs. glasses. I have contacts, and I've worn them swimming before so that is an option. The problem is I have fairly bad eyesight and when I can't see I tend to get a bit freaked out, so I don't think not wearing them is a good idea, but if they are only going to fall off because the goggles didn't hold the water out, then maybe I should practice without them in. Does anyone else have this problem? If so what brand of goggles best keep out water or is it best to not wear anything and have my glasses waiting for me at my bike....only problem being I wouldn't be able to find my bike.
Any suggestions?...besides laser surgery? I'm a poor college student.

2003-11-11 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1703

User image

athens, ga
Subject: RE: Really bad eyesight
first off what type of goggles are you using. The cheapest thing to do would be to buy a pair of goggles that dont leak. when looking for goggles avoid buying goggles that have the foam around the lense. Find a pair that have rubber around the lense. They tend to suction to your face adn dont allow for water to enter. Try speedo goggles that is what i have. i also heard that the TYR goggles work well to. This way you can wear your contacts and not have to worry about not seeing. also you might want to buy anit-fog spray for the lense, it helps trust me. Just a few solutions on a budget.
2003-11-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1706

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Lara_SD 2003-11-11 7:46 PM
2003-11-11 8:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
A simple solution to the fogging up of goggles is to use dish soap. Just rub a little bit one and rinse out the soap. It doesn't take much at all but works real well. If soap is getting in your eyes you have used too much.
2003-11-12 1:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-11-12 6:01 AM
in reply to: #1712

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Good call on the baby shampoo. We have plenty of it and I never thought about it. ;-)

2003-11-12 7:56 PM

I have contacts and have recently been experimenting between hard and soft lenses. I have a pair ot TYR goggles that have keep the water out with all of them. Good luck.
2003-11-13 5:21 AM

Saskatchewan
I am just as blind. I have used disposable contact lenses for only about a year. Last week was the first time I wore them in the water. They worked well. It was nice to see again considering I always went with out. I dont think I would go without again. I use a speedo woman's design goggle. Seems to work okay. I heard "Seal" masks were good. I think I might try them when I am ready to head out into open water next year. Lots of visibility...and they say there "virtually leak proof".

http://www.sealmask.com/products/seal/seal.html
2003-11-13 10:37 AM

Walla Walla, WA
Another important factor to take into consideration is the tossing and turning that can occur during the swim. You want to get goggles that attach securely to your face (consider ones that have two elastic straps instead of one). When swimming with a group of people in open water, you can get accidentally kicked or bumped by other swimmers. If your goggles fit securely they’ll be less likely to fall off if you get bumped. Generally a bump won’t do anything, but sometimes it can let water into your goggle, or even knock your goggles off. Try to knock your goggles off your head some time. If they don’t come off easily then you’re fine. Unless you’re swimming with the elites, there’s not a huge amount of pushing and kicking in the swim. If you’re worried, I know an Ironman triathlete who wears two sets of goggles: one on his eyes, and a backup pair around his neck. He wore contacts as well, so finishing the swim without goggles wasn’t an option. I don’t think he’s ever had to use that backup pair, but still, it might save him someday from having to exit the water because he can’t see. The most important thing is that you’ve practiced with them on, and made sure that they seal well. Good luck
-Sam
2003-11-17 10:32 AM

New user

Melbourne, East Central Florida
I wear a hard contact in my left eye. I swim in Aqua Sphere swim mask in pool and open water and have had no problems. Just make sure goggles are tight.

Mark
2003-12-23 4:24 PM

Regular
Colorado
I buy prescription goggles... they're available at most swim specific stores and cost about $20. You just approximate your prescription and you can see the clock at the pool and navigate open water without contacts floating in your eyes. They've been a life saver for me, tiding me over until I can get Lasik. Good luck :-)

2003-12-23 4:37 PM

I'm REAL new at this, but when I returned to the pool I was having a problem too. My goggles just weren't big enough and were pressingo n my eyes, which in turn loosen3ed my contacts. I found a swim mask at Wal-Mart that seals around the eye bones (orbital lobes) and works nicely for me. Cost was about $10-$12 I think.
2003-12-23 4:46 PM

Expert
New Port Richey
I have always had great success with the speedo goggles. Go with the rubber like the others said. I have also read that the seal mask was good but don't know anyone who has used it.
2003-12-23 8:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Yeah, like Kimber said. Buy persciption goggles. I bought a pair in Japan at a sunglasses store. They checked my regular glasses' perscription on some machine and then you buy the goggle that works for each eye. Total cost was about $20.00. Put that together with a pair of perscription sunglasses for cycling and running and you're all set for the tri.
2003-12-26 9:42 AM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
I used to have bad sight also, but got LASIK.....if you can afford it get it. One of my most challenging situations with glasses was white water rafting. I used RainX in my lenses to keep the fog free and to kept the water rolling off. I have done the same with my cycling sunglasses and my goggles......Just one more suggestion.

Craig
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really bad eyesight Rss Feed