Manchester, New Hampshire
United States
Manchester Marathon Association
Total Time = 2h 04m 13s
Overall Rank = 465/817
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 85/108
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Manchester day before race for packet pick-up then again on Sunday mornring before the race began.
Event warmup:

Huddled in the host hotel's lobby with lots of runners tring to stay warm. Did a few minutes of jogging to get warmed up prior to start.
Run
  • 2h 04m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first half marathon, it was a long freaking way to run. I was great for the first 7 or 8 miles, but then the run started to get to me. By mile 10, I was fairly cooked. I did recover a bit towards the end, but the last 5 or so miles were tough.
What would you do differently?:

I need more long runs. I am pretty good mentally through 8 miles during my normal runs, but somehere around 10 miles I start getting really bored and lose focus.
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled down by walking around and trying to stay warm. Stuck around and watched the winner of the full marathon- about 20 minutes after my finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As this was my first half marathon, I didn't have a lot of long runs under my belt- one 10 mile, and a couple of 7 and 8 mile runs. By mile 10, I was pretty beat.

Now that I have this base, I will keep it up and build off of it for my next half.

Event comments:

It was a good race- a little hilly, but that was not a suprise. My biggest complaint was having to drive and hour each way on Saturday for packet pickup, then again on Sunday for the race. Still, I understand the reason why. Overall, a fun Half Marathon.

Last updated: 2011-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:13 | 13.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/108
Overall: 0/817
Performance: Average
Course: Loop course in Manchester NH- hilly and a bout a mile or so of running on an off-road trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes