General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-27 11:19 PM

Subject: Ironman in 2013
I'm looking for advice on major goals to set over 2012 and 13 in order to go from today not exercising to finishing an ironman in 2013.

My own fitness history is almost exclusively running. I've done 3 marathons, one 9 years ago one 8 years ago and one in early 2011. Prior to 2011 I've done probably about 6 or so half marathons. Sometimes in connection with my marathon training and some not. So as you can see I've not been consistent. But big goals help me and thus my query. I've really never swam laps - I know how to swim from grade school and not much else. I've only trained on a bike in a gym in the spinning classes. So that's where I am at.

Presuming I target a mid to late ironman in 2013 here are some of the goals I've been thinking through would greatly appreciate other thoughts:

April 2012
- 10 k race
- 3x weekly runs
- 1x weekly bike
- 3x weekly strength/core

July 2012
- half marathon

Sept 2012
- begin swim lessons
- 40-50 mile bike race
- half marathon
- begin weight training

Feb 2013
- full marathon

March 2013
- Olympic distance tri

aug/sept/oct
-im

2011-12-28 12:29 AM
in reply to: #3956831

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman in 2013

My feedback is that if you'd like to be a successful triathlete, you have to train all three events, and do them all together in races. 

Your plan below doesn't really set you up for triathlon success because it's way too run focused, has minimal cycling, and you don't start swimming for 9 more months.  It emphasizes your strength and doesn't work on your weaknesses.  The short answer to "How do I train for an IM" is "swim, bike, and run lots".

You should start swimming now.  Swimming is a technique sport, and you may get it in 3 weeks, or you may take a year.  Cut 2 (or all 3) of those strength/core workouts and swim instead. 

Start biking now.  Cut one of your weekly runs, turn it into a bike interval for 2x cycling per week. 

In 2012, Sign up for some sprint triathlons in April or May.  The half marathon in July is fine  You don't need a bike race - bike races are entirely different beasts than IM cycling.  Sign up for a September Olympic distance race.  You don't need weight training.  Swim bike run lots.

In 2013, skip the marathon in February. You don't need it.  Instead, sign up for April half Ironman. 

if you do all that, you should be set up for IM in late 2013, and do well.  Good luck!

2011-12-28 12:46 AM
in reply to: #3956858

Master
, California

I agree - get the swimming going early (and get the coach earlier, too) so you and your coach can assess your current level and progress while you still have time to fix things.

Bike - you really can't put too much time in.  Don't sacrifice your swimming, but otherwise bike as much as you can.  I'd shoot for 3-4x per week but this is where you should start evaluating a training plan.  There are plenty of books (Be Iron Fit is one), or you could work with a coach.  Either way, it will give you an idea of the type of schedule you'll be sticking to.

Also, keep in mind IM races start registration a full year in advance.  And many of them sell out within minutes.  So if you have a specific race in mind, you should plan to register on race day in 2012.

2011-12-28 12:53 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

Jhcolton - 2011-12-27 11:19 PM I'm looking for advice on major goals to set over 2012 and 13 in order to go from today not exercising to finishing an ironman in 2013. My own fitness history is almost exclusively running. I've done 3 marathons, one 9 years ago one 8 years ago and one in early 2011. Prior to 2011 I've done probably about 6 or so half marathons. Sometimes in connection with my marathon training and some not. So as you can see I've not been consistent. But big goals help me and thus my query. I've really never swam laps - I know how to swim from grade school and not much else. I've only trained on a bike in a gym in the spinning classes. So that's where I am at. Presuming I target a mid to late ironman in 2013 here are some of the goals I've been thinking through would greatly appreciate other thoughts: April 2012 - 10 k race - 3x weekly runs - 1x weekly bike - 3x weekly strength/core July 2012 - half marathon Sept 2012 - begin swim lessons - 40-50 mile bike race - half marathon - begin weight training Feb 2013 - full marathon - sign up with local coach for IM March 2013 - Olympic distance tri aug/sept/oct -im

You are putting the cart before the horse -- It isn't that easy to even get into an Ironman.  Unless you are flexible and are planning to do Ironman Lousiville.  Ironman Wisconsin and Arizona (the two late season US races) usually fill within minutes of opening.

With that being said - scrap the full marathon for sure and plan to spend the most time working on your weakness - ie swimming.  Start swimming now, join a masters swim team and swim swim swim. Then bike bike bike.  People greatly overestimate using the run - the majority of people doing Ironman are not even running and yet when they train they train to run these 7:30 pace miles that just doesn't happen.  Without tons of biking and tons of swimming your marathon run will just turn into the longest walkathon of you life no matter if you are 2:30 marathoner or a 4:00 marathoner.

Lastly I see a focus on going straight to the Ironman.  I don't like this approach - this summer you should be doing some triathlons - sprint and Olympics, maybe even a half.  Next summer you should do some more halfs in preparation for a full.

2011-12-28 1:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had some motivation to hitan ironman in that kind of timeframe ( until I broke my femur, lose 2 years of running ) but i knew that I was going to have to complete a half iron the year before, or at least earlier enough in the same season that I could improve that much more.

Agree with the other advice here, get swimming and swim coaching sooner, and bike bike bike.  Some good friends of mine who were strong on the bike DNF'ed IM Canada this year, on the bike.  If you go in and are weak on the bike, it doesn't matter how good of a runner you are.

Best of luck.
2011-12-28 5:51 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you look at some of the training programs available on the site here.  It will give you a good sense of the balanced and extensive workload recommended to prepare yourself for an IM.  That is the real IM challenge.  The months of big volume consistant training.

For starters, you might take an Olympic or HIM plan and modify it to your strengths, weeknesses, preferences, etc. and start getting a feel for the routine.  I'd do that this year and than start looking at following an IM plan next year.

2011-12-29 12:44 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback - clearly I'm a rookie, the advise was very helpful.. Off I go.  Much appreciated - John
2011-12-29 3:35 PM

Start swimming yesterday. Get a coach unless you are a good swimmer.  My opinion (with respect to everyone's strengths and weaknesses) is that just about anyone with some training can ride a bike or run an ironman to finish, but you have to make it through a 2.4 mile swim first.  It is very technique driven.  You can always coast or walk when things get rough and still make progress on bike and run. Not so with swimming. Good luck.
2011-12-29 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3960663

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

Start swimming 2-3 times a week. The goal is to build technique to the point you can swim 4k without feeling tired.
Ride 2-3 times a week with one long ride each week.  The goal being to feel freaky fresh after being on the bike for 5 hours.
Run easy sometimes hard but mostly easy.  You've already experienced the mental side of 26.2. Running 26 during IM training has a negative net effect in that it takes you longer to recover from the distance than the amount of physical adaptation benefits.

As you build towards IM distance experience the trials of the sport at a shorter distance.  Getting kicked in the face, losing your goggles and swallowing a bunch of water in a 400 yard swim seems very dramatic but can be easily recovered from.  Once it happens to you it becomes 'no big deal', and will not negatively effect you on your IM debut.  There is a certain knack to swimming with 2000+ swimmers all turning around the same buoy.

Going out on the bike or messing up your nutrition and hydration plans can happen on the short course and be something that slows you down a little, but these kinds of mistakes at IM distance can spoil 'your' day. 

Beside Sprints and Oly's are a heck of a lot of fun and a lot easier to get into.
Cheers.

2011-12-29 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
In addition to getting started asap, and completing a bunch of races at a shorter distance, I would also suggest volunteering at a full distance event to get a feel for what you're in for.  Also, doing so may help guarantee you a spot for 2013 if that's your goal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in 2013 Rss Feed