General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Noise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-30 11:25 AM

User image

Deutschland
Subject: Trainer Noise

So I got my first cycling trainer... the TACX T1810.  This is the most basic trainer from a brand that is supposedly used by the pros for warm-up before major events. (much higher end versions used by the pros, of course).

I set up the trainer according to the directions and put my trusty stead (my road bike)  on.  I did replace the back tire with a "trainer tire" and used the skewer provided by TACX. 

All is well.. until I get up to a reasonable speed, when, it sounds like a rocket is getting ready to explode in my basement... seriously, this is a really loud sound that I dont think should be coming from a trainer...

Has anyone had experience with loud noises from a TACX ?  Is there a fix or should I just take it back?

2011-12-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3962118

User image

Subject: RE: Trainer Noise
Now you see one of the primary reasons everyone recommends Kurt Kinetic Fluid of any stripe or a CycleOps Fluid2 trainer. You can actually hear the TV when you're peddling hard.

Believe it or not, wind trainers are even louder than magnetic ones.

2011-12-30 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Depends on the type of Tacx trainer. I have a Tacx Bushido and it is fairly quiet. Not as quiet as a fluid trainer, but it is quiet enough for me.

I used to have a Tacx I-Magic which was a magnetic trainer and it was fairly loud. As others have said, if noise is your primary concern, you would probably be best with a fluid trainer.
2011-12-30 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I have a different Giant mag trainer and it is quiet enough for whole family to sit down and watch tv when I'm riding. Sounds like there might be a problem with the trainer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Noise Rss Feed