General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So what's the verdict on compression socks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-01 4:39 PM

Expert
Subject: So what's the verdict on compression socks?
For those of you who used compression socks; what did you think about them?

2012-01-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3965175

User image

Subject: RE: So what's the verdict on compression socks?

Do not ever try to put them on when you just got out of a cast and have no range of motion.

That is my verdict on compression socks. Wink

2012-01-01 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
As far as recovery goes, I'm not sure how much they actually help but I do love the compression on my calves after a long run.  I think Tom had a whole article on compression socks somewhere around here.
2012-01-01 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal

love love love love love.

who knows if they actually help my recovery or improve muscle fatigue during long workouts or whatever they're touted to do - i just love how my legs feel when i use them during or after a workout.  

2012-01-01 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,
IMHO they are good conversation starters but have no real value in regards to preventing or treating injuries. Do yourself a favor and get and ace bandage for compression (to treat injury), elevate and apply ice. That should help substantially more and save you $50. With that said, I love mine simply because nothing screams tri geek like calf compression sleeves.Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I like them.

Edited by melle 2012-01-01 6:44 PM
2012-01-01 6:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I like em', seems to help with shin splints and I just feel like I'm doing something to help my muscles recover. They just feel good after a long run too, so whether it's perceived or actual help with recovery it's all good IMO.

Patsy

2012-01-01 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
I love mine. I've noticed a big difference in how much more quickly soreness goes away from my legs when I use them. I use mine for recovery only, as I don't find them to be very comfortable while biking or running. I would recommend a pair to just about anyone in training.
2012-01-01 7:09 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

There is generally consensus that they are useful for preventing embolisms during long car rides or flights home after races.  (I'm specifically talking about socks or tights with progressive compression, not calf sleeves which can actually cause blood to pool in the feet, which is counter to promoting venous return.  IMO, there is no reason to ever buy sleeves.)

Their use for recovery is slightly less definite, but there is mounting evidence that they can provide benefits there also.  I personally use them for both long rides home after races and recovery after long runs, and I feel like they help, but that's only n=1.

Their use during training is more controversial, with support for their use coming mostly from anecdotal accounts plus manufacturers' claims that they reduce fatigue and soreness plus accelerate recovery.  Personally, my jury is still out regarding this use of them.

2012-01-01 8:44 PM

User image

Expert

LOVE LOVE LOVE After my run

After my run today I wore them for a few hours, they definatly help with recovery.

2012-01-01 8:57 PM

User image

After surgery last year my foot and ankle were still very swollen when I was transitioned from my hard cast to the boot. I was given what I refered to as "old lady" compression socks to help with the swelling. After about two days of those I decided to try my Zoot socks. Like I said earlier in the thread, putting the sock on an ankle that had been immoble for 8 weeks was hell. But I did it and only said a few bad words in the process.

That said, they did help with the swelling. In fact, I will wear them at least two days a week to work. I'm a teacher and I don't sit much during the day. I just spent another 10 weeks in the boot and wore the socks almost every day.

So, long story short, they have helped me in reducing swelling from surgery and another injury to the same ankle. If you're injured I would wear them.

2012-01-01 9:34 PM

User image

Regular

I use them for what they were designed for originally which is venous insufficiency.  When I started running in earnest, anything over 5 miles would really bother the medial side of my right leg.  Coincidentally, I had a varicosity develop there.  I also got lots of swelling from being on my feet all day.  I put two and two together and got a venous ultrasound which diagnosed pretty bad venous reflux on my right leg (shocker).  Ever since I've used these both in runs > 5 miles and in all recovery.  I also wear the complete hose all day at work so that by the time I run at night I'm not dragging along the extra weight of swollen uncomfortable legs.

I'll have to eventually have the culprit vein welded shut with endovenous ablation.  Until then its compression all the way.

Also hoping that my leg doesn't look like Hincapie's in 10 years (don't have the photo, but impressive)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So what's the verdict on compression socks? Rss Feed