Total Body Fitness
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 30s
Overall Rank = /750
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of oatmeal and a piece of toast about 3 hours before the race.
Got to the race about an hour before the start. When I went to take my bike out of my truck, I discovered that my rear tire was flat. I quickly discovered that changing a tube in the cold is no fun! After making my numb fingers work, I got the tire changed and made my way to check-in.
Event warmup:

After racking my bike I walked around to get my blood flowing, but did no formal warmup.
Run
  • 20m 45s
  • 2.15 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

The race was 'sold out', which meant they hit the 750 limit for participants (the race is free). Since there were so many people they split the race into three groups this year, 6-8 m/m runners, 8-10 mm runners, and 10+ mm runners. The second group started 5 minutes after the first, and the third group was 5 minutes after the second. I put myself into the second group and got into the masses for the start. Many people in the group took off too fast, so I was passing runners during the second mile.
What would you do differently?:

I think next year I'll put myself into the first group and just expect to be in the back. The masses come to almost a complete stop at several sections of the single track.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 was a little slow because of the gloves I had on my hands. There was no riding in transition this year, so had to run with the bike unlike previous years.

possibly not wear gloves, but it was pretty cold out.
Bike
  • 23m 10s
  • 7 miles
  • 18.13 mile/hr
Comments:

With the increase number of riders in the race this year it was very difficult to not draft and to ride safely. Some of the faster runners from group 1 of the run were inexperienced cyclist and made the ride hazardous by not riding straight lines and not staying to the right. This made it tricky to pass people while still maintaining a safe ride.

My watch died halfway through the ride, so had to estimate the rest of the splits for the race.

Once again, starting in the first group on the run would help by having less people on the road in front of me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

T2 was pretty painless. removed my gloves for the second loop of the run.

nothing
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.15 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Same course as the first lap, we just started at the back of transition. The was a better run for me than the first loop. Was nice not having to slow down on the single track. Started to get warm on the run, so rolled down my arm warmers.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my bike and rode it back to my truck. After storing the bike I walked back to the race start and got a bowl of chili

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training

Event comments:

I think they may need to reduce the size of the field to make it a safer race. I heard at least one person hit the dirt on the run because they could not see the trail (and the roots).

Last updated: 2011-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:45 | 02.15 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/750
Performance: Good
Course: Run started on an dirt path for 1/4 mile, then moved to single track dirt trails for another 1/4 mile, next 1/2 mile was on pavement. Second mile was mostly single track again, with the last 1/4 mile back on dirt path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:23:10 | 07 miles | 18.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/750
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling out and back with some sharp turns to watch out for with riders on both sides of the road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good