General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 ADPi Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-04-01 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3979703

Subject: RE: 2012 ADPi
Results have been emailed. The top couple overall spots look....weird.Enjoyed last years event, but this will probably be the last time I do it.

2012-04-01 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4123662

BC4UA - 2012-04-01 7:55 PM Results have been emailed. The top couple overall spots look....weird.Enjoyed last years event, but this will probably be the last time I do it.

Any idea what the race director was referring to with errors/mistakes made today?  I will admit it seemed a bit disorganized.  From what I heard from others, the size of the race has grown tremendously so maybe they weren't prepared for it.  If that was the case, they need to consider capping the entries or possibly hire someone to run the race in the future with some support from the sorority girls.  I got frustrated with the swim start being chaotic (though my swim went terribly so I was in some people's way as well).  They also could have done a better job directing the bike portion.  Run was fine but was clearly short of a 5k (or the 3.14 advertised).  

In the end, I guess I understand the serious triathletes that use this as a tuneup for the season being frustrated especially if it was well-run in past years.  For me, this was just my 2nd tri and being run by a sorority, I wasn't exactly expecting a perfectly run race. I'd do it again but only if race is capped at 250-300 participants.

2012-04-01 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4123688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
jkintn - 2012-04-01 8:12 PM

BC4UA - 2012-04-01 7:55 PM Results have been emailed. The top couple overall spots look....weird.Enjoyed last years event, but this will probably be the last time I do it.

Any idea what the race director was referring to with errors/mistakes made today?  I will admit it seemed a bit disorganized.  From what I heard from others, the size of the race has grown tremendously so maybe they weren't prepared for it.  If that was the case, they need to consider capping the entries or possibly hire someone to run the race in the future with some support from the sorority girls.  I got frustrated with the swim start being chaotic (though my swim went terribly so I was in some people's way as well).  They also could have done a better job directing the bike portion.  Run was fine but was clearly short of a 5k (or the 3.14 advertised).  

In the end, I guess I understand the serious triathletes that use this as a tuneup for the season being frustrated especially if it was well-run in past years.  For me, this was just my 2nd tri and being run by a sorority, I wasn't exactly expecting a perfectly run race. I'd do it again but only if race is capped at 250-300 participants.

City police stepped in and kicked out the county police who were directing traffic. The county police bounced and the the city police decided they knew the course better than the volunteers. They tried to not let a lot of riders turn, several had to come to complete stops to wait on the light. Some were even sent towards Walmart instead of turning left. Some people only rode 2 miles. Also lots of people didn't go over the correct mats in the correct order. Complete disaster. Murfreesboro Police love ruining races evidently. They messed up the special kids 5k yesterday and of course the Murfreesboro 1/2 marathon last October. Idiots!

all swim starts in a pool are chaotic, not their fault. Triathletes do not know how to seed themselves correctly or think they are faster than they really are.

The run was short, i knew the day before. Heard about it at packet pick up. they weren't trying to hide that fact. 

i'm a serious triathlete and i'm not the least bit frustrated. It's a local non sanctioned race, just get in get out and enjoy the day. 

2012-04-01 8:36 PM

My wife and a couple others were getting frustrated with the situation near the finish. Random people seem to have a disregard for athletes and would walk on course. I feel for the lady. Event doubled overnight and she was caught offguard. She seemed to genuinely care. Either way the weather was beautiful and I had a great time visiting. I improved a good deal over last year so I'm happy.

Edited by BC4UA 2012-04-01 8:38 PM
2012-04-01 8:38 PM

Wow.  I didn't realize it got that bad.  On the swim, I was basically referring to the fact that it didn't seem to go by numbers at all.  Hopefully the faster swimmers were able to start towards the front.  I know when I started there was a mix of people all in the 100/200/300 race numbers and just jumping in line to start because it was taking a long time.  

Regarding the Murf City Police...that is just BS that they cannot get it together.  I ran the Middle Half last October when they blocked the wrong street and added nearly a half mile to the race.  Today, I was one of the ones that had to come to a complete stop at that left turn.  No one was pointing which way to go (not the cops or the sorority girls).  Just one cop yelling at the bikers to "just go back to the rec center".  Honestly I had no idea where I even was at the time.  I would think these events are good publicity for the city of Murfreesboro and MTSU.  If the cops keep screwing them up, attendance will drop.

crunner10 - great attitude on your part.  I saw some others that weren't so understanding.  

2012-04-01 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

In over eight years of racing, that was hands down the most disorganized event I ever seen.  I wasn't personally affected by it but several people were.  I can deal with some disorganization but when athlete safety is compromised, that is a no joke area. 

And the fact that they sent out the race results with guys biking a 6:00 split shows that there was no checks and balances.  And yes, they announced that guy as the winner. 

2012-04-01 9:05 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
It was my understanding that the sorority didn't have a permit from the city to use the roads.  They worked with the county who I guess assumed the city granted permission. 
2012-04-01 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4123766

Estill Springs
ADollar79 - 2012-04-01 9:02 PM

In over eight years of racing, that was hands down the most disorganized event I ever seen.  I wasn't personally affected by it but several people were.  I can deal with some disorganization but when athlete safety is compromised, that is a no joke area. 

And the fact that they sent out the race results with guys biking a 6:00 split shows that there was no checks and balances.  And yes, they announced that guy as the winner. 

Yeah, the top 3 times aren't possible. On the drive home I was going over in my mind how a 41:xx was possible and I couldn't figure it out. Now I know.

I was one the bikers stopped at the red light on Rutherford and needless to say I wasn't happy. That was a potential disaster just waiting to happen.

As for my time, 11 minutes better than last year, with half of the improvement on the bike. Transition 1 still need works but I'm happy with my time.

Edited by musicman21 2012-04-01 9:18 PM
2012-04-01 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4123709

Extreme Veteran

Not sure what can be done about the police presence/efforts? If they have a signed agreement with the county force, can they just tell the city cops to pound sand or at least contact the race organizer prior to "taking matters into their own hands"?

Agree on the pool swims always being a rugby match, it is what it is..

Not sure what they can do about the transition/routing, you had to pay attention or it you could easily screw it up (one of the reasons i pre-walk the in/out every race no matter how small).

Overall i think the race went well, couple of areas that they could improve on, but when it comes down to it.. we were all out there doing what we love on a gorgeous day with the funds going towards a good cause.. the rest is background noise..

Good to see/meet you guys out there today.. I've got some work to do to pick up on the run and some on the bike, but overall a great day.

*edit*.. ok in my delay in posting others had commented so didn't want to seem out of line.. I'd suggest back to the RD how changes can be made to allow the race to be run appropriately, etc. I'm not a RD, so far be it from me to tell someone else how to do something I don't do myself, but i'll offer up suggestions in a constructive way, i suggest everyone do the same if they are moved to do so. People getting lined up for the swim, we're all adults (at least most out there were) and should've understood what the numbers were for and how to count from 1-100.. not rocket science.. and it was explained pretty clearly in the email.  Only issue i had was on that road (rutherford?) coming back where the traffic was backed up and everyone else had issue, they need to see about a different road back to the event, maybe it wasn't possible due to construction, etc.. not sure, but that was the main issue of the day that I saw.. Race Day events was there running the timing, this isn't their first rodeo so they should've been able to call out the problem as they saw it.

just my .02

later
Derek

Edited by dbrawders 2012-04-01 9:55 PM
2012-04-02 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4123811

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Just a couple of thoughts here.....

dbrawders - 2012-04-01 10:37 PM

Not sure what can be done about the police presence/efforts? If they have a signed agreement with the county force, can they just tell the city cops to pound sand or at least contact the race organizer prior to "taking matters into their own hands"?

Yes they can.  It depends on who controls the road.  If they roads are within the city limits than it is city jurisdiction.  If it is a county road (unincorporated, etc) then the sheriff's office controls it.  Unfortunately, this is a giant peeing contest in law enforcement.  It shouldn't be that way but it often is.  They can grant permission and I think that was the problem here.  The city has the liability on the roads and had no clue what was going on. 

Not sure what they can do about the transition/routing, you had to pay attention or it you could easily screw it up (one of the reasons i pre-walk the in/out every race no matter how small). 

Transition was dramatically better than last year but still a cluster.   The issue has more to do with the bike mount/dismount was and run course.  You literally had to criss cross paths.  That is completely unsafe.  Coming off the bike you were told to stay to the left on the road while the bike out crossed in front of you to the right side.  The same occurred at the finish line where the run course crossed the path of the finishers. 

IMO, this is a HUGE problem and puts athlete safety at risk.  In most cases the volunteers just told you to stop.  Re routing the course wouldn't be tough.  When you come out of T1, you should go left and that routes you around to Alumni Dr.  Then you can come back in the way the course currently is.  The run should be in reverse.  Run out of T2 and go straight into campus.  Those two small changes would require no substantive course alterations yet prevent possibilities of running into other athletes. 

Honestly, I don't expect much from a sorority (non triathlete) based triathlon.  When they brought in RaceDay events, I started to expect more (even though their role was just timing and transition).  The key here is that this is a real-deal triathlon now.  And they need to make some major changes before someone gets seriously injured. 

2012-04-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4124027

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
ADollar79 - 2012-04-02 6:44 AM

Yes they can.  It depends on who controls the road.  If they roads are within the city limits than it is city jurisdiction.  If it is a county road (unincorporated, etc) then the sheriff's office controls it.  Unfortunately, this is a giant peeing contest in law enforcement.  It shouldn't be that way but it often is.  They can grant permission and I think that was the problem here.  The city has the liability on the roads and had no clue what was going on. 

Transition was dramatically better than last year but still a cluster.   The issue has more to do with the bike mount/dismount was and run course.  You literally had to criss cross paths.  That is completely unsafe.  Coming off the bike you were told to stay to the left on the road while the bike out crossed in front of you to the right side.  The same occurred at the finish line where the run course crossed the path of the finishers. 

IMO, this is a HUGE problem and puts athlete safety at risk.  In most cases the volunteers just told you to stop.  Re routing the course wouldn't be tough.  When you come out of T1, you should go left and that routes you around to Alumni Dr.  Then you can come back in the way the course currently is.  The run should be in reverse.  Run out of T2 and go straight into campus.  Those two small changes would require no substantive course alterations yet prevent possibilities of running into other athletes. 

Honestly, I don't expect much from a sorority (non triathlete) based triathlon.  When they brought in RaceDay events, I started to expect more (even though their role was just timing and transition).  The key here is that this is a real-deal triathlon now.  And they need to make some major changes before someone gets seriously injured. 

Great points! I'd email Shelby with those. It drove me crazy seeing them stopping runners trying to finish or trying to start the run because of the crisscross.

2012-04-02 8:02 AM

Regarding the swim start, a MTSU swim coach did make an announcement to get everyone to line up by number, but nobody really listened. Last year people seemed to make a more honest effort to line-up by seed time. Seems like unless you have a volunteer forcing people to get in numerical order, people will jump in anywhere. I passed 3-4 people by the halfway point.

Which stinks, since last year I believe they sent people off on pretty tight intervals. 10 seconds should have alleviated the bunching that happened.

2012-04-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4124151

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
BC4UA - 2012-04-02 8:02 AM

Regarding the swim start, a MTSU swim coach did make an announcement to get everyone to line up by number, but nobody really listened. Last year people seemed to make a more honest effort to line-up by seed time. Seems like unless you have a volunteer forcing people to get in numerical order, people will jump in anywhere. I passed 3-4 people by the halfway point.

Which stinks, since last year I believe they sent people off on pretty tight intervals. 10 seconds should have alleviated the bunching that happened.

I heard someone announcing something with a magaphone and even though I was only a little bit back in line near the doors I couldn't hear a thing he was saying.

It's a challenge to get people to line up in order when they know that the timing system is fine either way.  There would have to be someone there with the megaphone repeating the message over and over and marshalling people in to position.

2012-04-02 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4123709

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN

CRunner10 - 2012-04-01 8:23 PM Some people only rode 2 miles. ...

Murfreesboro Police love ruining races evidently. They messed up the special kids 5k yesterday and of course the Murfreesboro 1/2 marathon last October. Idiots!

Rode 2 miles, classic. That intersection was a joke, about like my run off the bike. LOL.

2012-04-02 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4124497

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I emailed the race director. I did not complain but offered up several suggestions. I think they are honestly trying to put on a good event, but need a little guidance.

A couple of my concerns were 1) I passed a guy on the bike wearing no helmet. He should have never been allowed on the course. 2) I passed several people on the bike wearing headphones. A couple of them were weaving in my way and never knew I was coming because they couldn't hear due to the headphones. This should never happen.

I also addressed some of the traffic issues, but I am sure they are hearing a lot about that right now.

2012-04-02 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
...and I agree with CRunner. It is a local non sanctioned tri. We shouldn't get too worked up over some things. I still had a good time and didn't get too caught up in the other stuff. I was happy I beat last year's time by 10 minutes (I guess it was probably truly 8 minutes with the shorter run course), but I agree with ADollar that the main issue is people's safety and that needs to be addressed.

2012-04-02 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4124027

Extreme Veteran
ADollar79 - 2012-04-02 6:44 AM

I'm trying to remember the past 2 years, but I don't recall having the criss cross issue last year on the bike. I'm trying to find out what changed by looking back through my old email, etc. I thought it was similar to what you discussed, but don't recall 100%.

I didn't get to the run portion this year (amazing how many people remembered me as "that guy who wrecked at the end".. ugh). but the year prior the run course was reversed or significantly different.. (i thought it was similiar to running straight into campus or comparable). I think it has the makings of a good event with the right direction and help..

2012-04-03 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4125959

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

You can't remember how transition went last year because you had just taken a blow to the head! 

Last year they didn't criss-cross, but transition definitely was not equitable.  Those of us that got there early and got the good bike rack locations only had to dodge in, grab the bike and dodge out getting a big transition advantage.  This year's attempted transition fix at least resolved that problem.  But it was a solution that was worse than the problem.

2012-04-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4126662

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
JeffY - 2012-04-03 9:02 AM

You can't remember how transition went last year because you had just taken a blow to the head! 

I think I saw some pictures last year, man that looks painful Surprised

I only experienced the criss-cross coming into the finish. The girl made someone stop coming out of T2 and I felt sorry for them so I (tried) to speed up.

What happened at awards? Did the 3 guys get called as the overall winners that only biked 2 miles?

2012-04-03 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4126823

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Chris.1333 - 2012-04-03 9:54 AM
JeffY - 2012-04-03 9:02 AM

I think I saw some pictures last year, man that looks painful Surprised

I only experienced the criss-cross coming into the finish. The girl made someone stop coming out of T2 and I felt sorry for them so I (tried) to speed up.

What happened at awards? Did the 3 guys get called as the overall winners that only biked 2 miles?

Yes, they got called...but didn't show...they didn't know!

And the REAL top 2 (and 4th) weren't there because they'd already left on a training ride.  At least 1 and 4 did.  Number 2 might have gone home to pick up the kids at Grandma's.

2012-04-03 7:31 PM

User image

New user

Hello All,

New to the forum. Found you guys while trying to find official results for 2012 ADPi. I agree with the critiques of the event this weekend. I enjoyed it personally, but understand how many were frustrated at the problems with traffic etc.

Anyway, hello!

Mike Beach

2012-04-04 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4128334

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Hi Mike.  Welcome to the forum.

I'm not aware of the 'official' results being posted yet, have you found any?

Do you have the unofficial results mailed out by Shelby?

2012-04-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4129171

User image

New user

I do have those she emailed, but I too haven't found anything final/official.
2012-04-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4126662

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
JeffY - 2012-04-03 10:02 AM

Last year they didn't criss-cross, but transition definitely was not equitable.  Those of us that got there early and got the good bike rack locations only had to dodge in, grab the bike and dodge out getting a big transition advantage.  This year's attempted transition fix at least resolved that problem.  But it was a solution that was worse than the problem.

The issue last year was that transition didn't have a flow.  You ran in, got your bike, turned around and ran back out the same place.  This year it had a proper flow of everyone going the same direction at all times.  It was definitely more equitable.  

But I do think both bike & run had criss crossing issues.  This year is was just more profound.  I think last year the bike out and in went across that small side walk. So at some point you had to navigate to the other side of the road.  Maybe there were a few cones but it was a traffic jam if someone was on the side walk with a bike.  Plus you had to deal with swim exit traffic.  Also, last years run out was at the top of transition.  I think you immediately crossed in front of the finish line path rather than run around transition and then cross it.  That's what I seem to recall. 

2012-04-05 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
Here's the more important question. Are there any signs of the official results or race pictures?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 ADPi Rss Feed  

of 4