General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding at a steeper angle, what else do I need to change Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-20 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: Riding at a steeper angle, what else do I need to change

I switched from a Kestrel Talon to an Airfoil Pro last July and 3 sprints and a HIM later I'm working on making some changes to my riding position.

The Talon, while an aero frame, is really just more of a road bike frame geometry sold as a tri bike, with the bull horn/aero bars up front. I eventually grew out of it, or rather it was slightly big. I had the bars as low as they could go without buying a differant stem, and the seat as far forward as it would go, and I was almost falling off the front of it, not that that was a bad thing for sprints.

Once I got the Airfoil I set up everythig exactly the same, seat height, ditance behind bb, arm pad height, seat to bars, everything. The first thing that was obvious, to do this I had to have the seat at the extreme rear position, while on the Talon it was as far forward as possible. The only thing I've really changed since then is I have moved the seat forward about 3 cm.

I'm now ready to start riding at even a steepr angle to get more aero and my question is, as I come forward and rotate around the BB what do I do with the bars, do I simply need to lower them in most cases to have more drop. Will I need a longer stem, possibly longer extensions?

Basically I know not all cases are the same, but what is typical?

2012-01-20 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4001691

User image

Subject: RE: Riding at a steeper angle, what else do I need to change
If you want to hear something that always amuses me when fitters start posting it's that a lower front end is not always faster and in some cases can actually be slower.

It's about position Vs breathing Vs power output ability.

Can't help you with the other stuff but keep that in mind. Sometimes a slacker position can make you go faster.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding at a steeper angle, what else do I need to change Rss Feed