Whitley County Chamber of Commerce
13F / -11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 24m 38s
Overall Rank = 20/
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up with a tickle in my throat this morning- I think I might be coming down with the cold that they kids have right now
Long drive to CC in the snow this morning
Ate 1 1/2 bites of banana
Drank a few sips of lemon-lime powerade zero
The usual pre-race jitters
Event warmup:

Very short warm-up run outside, followed by some light stretching indoors
Run
  • 24m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt fairly strong and went out pretty fast. I was very focused on keeping my footing on the snow, especially in the beginning with all of the people around. I was wishing I had the yak trax that my group was talking about yesterday and noticed that there were a handful of people wearing them. Once we spread out a little, it was much better. The hills on the way out felt great, and this is where I found I was passing most people (both uphill and downhill). At the one mile mark, I looked at my watch and realized I started too fast. I continued to feel strong until the turn-around. Here I slipped and fell. I got up quickly and pulled myself together. Around 2 miles I was noticing that I was feeling more tired. The hills on the way back seemed harder to me, and with all of the snow I felt like my feet were sliding back down the hill each step I took. My third mile was a little rough, but I still managed to have enough to run hard at the end when I saw the finish line. It wasn't my best race ever, but I am happy with my performance considering where I am at in my training right now and the weather conditions today.
What would you do differently?:

My head and body were a good temperature (I wore a fleece hat, a fleece lined nike shirt, and running tights. However, my fingers and toes were numb before the start of the race. I wish I had worn thicker socks and gloves. I also wish I had some of the yak trax for better footing.
I should have gone out slower and let my speed build.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran 1 mile slowly just around town

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor footing, a fall, need more endurance

Event comments:

This was definitely a small town race. They didn't have race numbers, just a card that they gave you at the finish with your place number on it, which you turned in to someone who ranked you by age group. It was very organized though and started on time (actually about 2 minutes early).
They planned to have a water station at the turn-around point but they didn't end up having one.
The goody bag was decent- an insulated bag and instead of a t-shirt they had fleece headbands in a variety of colors and let you pick your color. After the race, they had plenty of bottled water, bananas, and pretzels out. They also gave you a meal ticket and let you pick anything you wanted from the menu. The chicken and noodles were great, and they also had hot dogs, sloppy joes, chips, biscuits and gravy, OJ, coffee, and hot chocolate.
They had really cool trophies for the winner of each age group- a snowglobe with your age group on the inside.
There were some great activities after the race- an ice sculpture carving contest and an ice cream eating contest.
A really fun race, despite the cold weather!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:38 | 03.11 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 20/
Performance: Average
Course: http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=463291 The course was a mostly out and back course with a few small hills. After getting about 4-5 inches of snow last night, the roads were not cleared real well. At each intersection, there were a few inches of snow and there were several slippery areas. It was also an open course, and at one point a truck drove down the road where the turn-around was occurring. It seemed dangerous with runners down both sides.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-01-21 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: Snowflake 5K

2012-01-21 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4003204

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Snowflake 5K

Great race Allison!  You put down a great time given the conditions and the fall.

Congrats on the AG win!  That's the way you want to start a race season!

2012-01-21 5:01 PM

User image

NH

Awesome race and a crazy time for those conditions!  Huge congrats on the hardware.  What a start for the season.

Edited by wbayek 2012-01-21 5:03 PM
2012-01-21 5:36 PM

User image

Yeah, Allison!! Congratulations on your first place win! I assume that's your beatiful daughter sporting your headband - she's adorable. I love the snowglobe trophy - very cool. What a great finishing time! I'm so happy for you to have finished so well on your first race of 2012!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snowflake 5K Rss Feed