General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
5150 Triathlon Series
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 1s
Overall Rank = 73/999
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/117
Pre-race routine:

Note- I am doing this race report some 4 months after the race. I didn't realize that I had yet to do my report until January 22nd when I noticed my name wasn't listed under those who had done the race so this report is going from memory but it's pretty accurate.

Got to the race site shortly after 4 AM and was pumped to find out that the monsoon that happened the day before had taken the water temperature down from something like 83 degrees to 75 degrees and therefore it was a wet suit legal race. I brought my wet suit with me just in case and was really glad I did. Several other athletes asked me how I knew. I just told them I thought there was a chance with all the rain that we had gotten the night before. I quickly called Rob and found out that he was at the site as well and that he had run back to his car and got his suit. He also told me that he had run into Tyler and told him the news. Unfortunately Tyler hadn't brought his wet suit with him so Rob took his gear while Tyler drove back home to get it. In the meantime, Rob and I set up Tyler's transition spot. Also, once Tyler got back to transition, we discovered that one of his tires had a flat tire. After Rob and I tried for a few minutes to get it fixed, we decided just to run to the bike mechanic tent where a really nice and really skilled bike mechanic fixed it in no time flat. Turns out there was a staple in the tire. Weird.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. We sat around for a long time as the athletes in the 5150 championships went off. Eventually we got in the water and swam around a little bit before lining up just before our heat was to go off.
Swim
  • 27m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim but I was hoping for a time that would have bested my PR of 25:45 at this race back in 2007. However, my swim training really takes a hit once the school year begins so that's probably not realistic. Also, I didn't swim has hard as I should have throughout. I swam hard, but I didn't use my arms nearly as much as I should have since I had quite a bit of energy left in them at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder throughout, especially using my arms. Still, a good start to the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

This was a long transition as we came out of the swim exit and had to run all the way down to the run out. It's only fair so no one has an advantage of others, but it makes for a big transition area when there's nearly 2000 athletes.

I should have ran faster once getting out of the water. I need to practice doing so when I do my OWS in the future.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 16s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.68 km/hr
Comments:

I rode about as hard as I could. I always ride as hard as I can. I probably pay for it on the run, but I just have the mindset that unless I have to walk on the run, I didn't go too hard on the bike. I did think that I might be able to be in the 1:05s, but that's wasn't realistic. Maybe next year though with a lot more bike training.

During the race, nothing. Before the race, more bike training, especially rides of the 30+ mile variety.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

This was about my only hang up for this race. I got to my transition spot, racked my bike, then bent down to put on my running shoes, and my left quad cramped up so bad that I fell to the ground like I had been shot or something. After about 20 seconds of trying to massage it out and straighten my leg, it wasn't helping so I stood up with a peg leg and somehow manage to get my stuff and go. I ran out of transition with a straight leg and I thought I was in trouble but fortunately it loosened up almost right away and I was okay.

Eat more bananas before the race and also do more intense brick workouts.
Run
  • 45m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

As my ranks might suggest, this is an area I can really improve upon even though this was a good run for me. I was a little concerned about the cramp, but after a mile or so, I realized that it was going to be okay so I pushed what I thought was hard. Swee passed me with at about the 5.5 mile mark. I hung with him for about 10 seconds and then said forget that. The last quarter mile or so I really gave it my all up the hill to the finish which probably means I should have been pushing a little bit harder throughout the run. Regardless, it comes down to putting in the time running including speed work.

Push slightly harder from the start. More run training and longer runs on the bricks as all I do usually is run 2 miles after a bike and I should do a few longer bricks to be in better shape, both mentally and physically, for an Olympic distance triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Swee right away. Cheered Rob on as he finished just a few minutes after. Got some drinks, layed on the ground. Went and found the family and then caught the bus back to transition which was another story.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping during T2 and as always, not getting to train as much as I would like to/should have in order to reach my ridiculous goals I have for myself.

Event comments:

I always love racing Hy-Vee since this was our first tri back in 2007. I'm very proud of my race as this was a PR by almost 6 minutes (previous best time was 2:31:57 back in 2009). Just about everything came together for this race...wet suit legal, tri bike, no flat tire. Still, I expect to go sub 2:22 next year!

Last updated: 2011-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/117
Overall: 102/999
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultra
Course: Back at Grayslake this year. Straight out about 250 yards, turn 90 degrees right, go another 250 yards or so, turn 90 degrees left for about 100 yards, turn left 90 degrees, swim about 700 yards, turn left 90 degrees and finish the remaining 400 or so yards to the exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:16 | 40 kms | 35.68 km/hr
Age Group: 14/117
Overall: 66/999
Wind: Little
Course: All over freakin' Des Moines. This bike course seemed to zig and zag all over Des Moines. I thought it was never going to end. The bike course for the half IM I did a few weeks beforehand seemed to go faster in my mind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:45:46 | 06.21 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/117
Overall: 151/999
Course: Nice course through Grayslake then hooking up with downtown Des Moines before finishing up a killer hill at the capital.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-01-22 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed