United States
39F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 20m 37s
Overall Rank = 36/819?
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/28
Pre-race routine:

This unique race begins at 3pm, so I got to sleep in, take a hot bath to loosen the legs, walk the dogs...
Don't remember what I ate!
Event warmup:

After getting bibs and timing chips picked up and situated for myself, my daughter Jordan, and son Evan I began to jog around beginning about 40 minutes prior to start. Alternated walking/jogging until 10 minutes prior to race start then changed in to my racing flats and continued to jog and do some pick ups.
At the last possible moment I ditched my warm-ups underneath a traffic cone and pushed my way to near the front of the assembled runners.
Run
  • 20m 37s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 07s  min/km
Comments:

I wish I had mile splits, but my GPS was very inaccurate on the tight and twisty course. It had the total distance at 2.8 miles so I can't trust any mile splits.
I feel as though I started too fast, but didn't really die off relative to other runners, or that I could feel.

Last year at this race I did the run in 20:15? But the course was only about 3 miles long last year. They adjusted the distance this year so I wasn't actually slower. I just expected to be faster than I was with another year of consistent running under my belt.
What would you do differently?:

Would it have been possible, or advisable to have done speed work in the previous month?
Post race
Warm down:

After the race I went back on the course about half a mile and waited for Jordan and Evan to come by and jogged it in with them.

Event comments:

This was my Son Evan's first 5k. He is 11 years old. He has never run that far continuously before....technically didn't here either. He walked only a few times during up hills. That's a tactic I have told him is wise and he did great! Now I owe him $3. (He's a pro runner. He gets a salary of $1 for every mile he runs).

Last updated: 2012-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:37 | 05 kms | 04m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 1/28
Overall: 36/819?
Performance: Average
That's a 6:40/mile pace in case you don't know pace by kms. I downloaded my HR data and it was pretty much steady right at 165bpm until the last half mile where it worked it's way up to 173 at the highest point. That's very much the same as the data I looked up from this race 1 year ago.
Course: This course is inside the Nashville zoo. After beginning on service roads (often loose gravel surface) it makes it's way on to the paths inside the zoo. These are painted asphalt and were very slippery. There was sand on them and they were wet. I almost fell once when my foot slipped. Super tight turns require slowing and accelerating again. Also rolls a lot. The hills made themselves noticed!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-01-23 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Nashville Zoo Run Run

2012-01-23 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4005719

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Nashville Zoo Run Run
Great race, the conditions and course sound pretty interesting.  That's also great on your son, but does going pro mean he can't enter tri's in the AG groups?
2012-01-23 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4005719

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Nashville Zoo Run Run

Pretty awesome run!  The quick turns and hills would have had to keep the time higher than a nice flat course.  Imagine what the time might have been on a flat..............SMOKIN'!!

Hopefully your son will listen to his father/coach and be killin someof his own races later on down the road.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nashville Zoo Run Run Rss Feed