United States
Tricalifornia Events, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 36m
Overall Rank = 2128/2584
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 244/265
Pre-race routine:

Other than being ridiculously nervous? Woke up. Asked Wes if we could go home. He said no. Ate 2 cereal bars and a banana. Wes got me some coffee. Packed up and left. Set up transition. Did I say I was ridiculously nervous? I finally found Elizabeth and gave her the team socks. Then I thought maybe Wes would let me go home. But no.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the transition area looking for Pattie and Elizabeth. Jogged around to watch the collegiates start. Warm up briefly in the water before the wave start.
Swim
  • 42m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim went much better than I expected. It sure was hard to get going with 50 women swimming around me. But after a while I got my groove. Sighting was pretty easy because of the huge bouys and the guards almost in a row around them. Also swimming with a large group made it easier to see where I was going. Was kinda frustrating when the fastest of the next wave swam over the top of me, but I kept going. Water temp was great. Not an issue. Last half I felt very confident and strong.
What would you do differently?:

Try to draft more. Just got some instruction on that the day before. Otherwise I would just try to train to swimm faster.
Transition 1
  • 04m 28s
Comments:

It's kind of a blur. I did run with the bike which was good. And I even managed to get my socks and gloves on wet feet and hands with little trouble. Pretty smooth. My rack was right near the bike exit, and I found my row quickly.

I remember thinking...wetsuit first then cap. I always go for the cap first. I saw others doing it but I forgot. OH and I should get some of that spray sunblock to reapply.
Bike
  • 1h 58m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 12.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Up the first hill, Lynch hill, was pretty hard. I saw people walking, but I didn't want to be one of them. Once up that, and given a few min to recover, the other hills were more doable. Bigger ones to come, but I was ready for them when they came. I felt like my shifting was good, I didn't drop down too low too soon. I was able to get some good momentum on some, and by the second half I was passing people on hills more. It felt good! Faster than my practice run, so I'm happy.

My spedometer stopped working, so I couldn't pace myself the way I wanted to. I'd check all that stuff so it's ready. Other than that I'd just work on speed on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Went fine I think. My wonderful friend Sean had finished and he was waiting for me at my bike. He gave me some encouraging words for the run and I was off!

Gotta get a better hair thing going on. The bandana worked for today, but I should think that through more.
Run
  • 1h 22m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked most of the big hills and tried to run the flats and the downs. I had some stomach cramping, some quad cramping, and just as I was approaching the finish line my calves did the usual major cramping. I had to tough it through to the end to finish with a run. It was a rough run, and I did ok considering I wasn't able to train much do to my shin splints.

I would train much more for the run. Train hills, etc. I just wasn't prepared to run this course. But I did my best!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, strech, massage!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I ate too many blocks on the bike...my tummy felt really full. I also had to pee like hell on the bike, but I wasn't able to go til the run. Need to do more running in general and more bike-run bricks

Event comments:

Everything about the race prep and all was wonderful, except they ran out of pasta at the end. Major bummer.

Last updated: 2006-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:04 | 1500 meters | 02m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/265
Overall: 0/2584
Performance: Good
From shore to shore: 41:26 Max HR 183 Ave HR 175
Suit: Orca speedsuit
Course: Relativley straight foward out and back. Kind of a loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:58:00 | 24.85 miles | 12.64 mile/hr
Performance:
Max HR: 191 Ave HR: 175
Wind: None
Course: Can you say HILLS??
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:22:18 | 06.21 miles | 13m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Max HR: 188 Ave HR: 177
Course: HILLS again. Both dirt and pavement. Some so steep walking would be faster.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 10:38 PM

Subject: Wildflower

2006-05-09 12:37 PM
in reply to: #418348

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Subject: RE: Wildflower
i hear you on being nervous. it somehow goes away once you get part of the way through the swim though, doesn't it? good job!!!
2006-05-09 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Nice job, way fight through you nerves. !!!
2006-05-09 6:16 PM

Thanks for the encouragement through the nerves. I guess I just have to anticipate that as part of the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Rss Feed