General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question for tri on Sunday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-07 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Training question for tri on Sunday
I'm doing my first triathlon in 4 years on Sunday-it's a sprint (750m , 23K, 5K) and I only started training in earnest a couple of weeks ago, and had a minor medical procedure last week that cost me 3 training days. My max distances have been 1300 in the pool (800 straight free), 13 miles on the bike, and a 5 mile run. I did a short brick yesterday (4 mile bike, 2 mile run), that actually went pretty well-the bike felt hard, and the run started out tough, but I ended up doing <9:00 minute miles on the run (that's really fast for me).

Anyway, I'm looking for training advice for the week. My big concern is the bike-I really had wanted to do a 20 miler, but I don't think it would be a good idea at this point when I should be tapering. Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the lake where the tri will be and swim (with my wetsuit)-probably a bit longer than the race distance. Otherwise I'm not sure how to taper this week- should I focus on the bike and do a couple of 10 milers? Or would that be too much considering my lack of training? I can't bike today because of schedule and kids, but I'm thinking I'll do a treadmill run, or a weights/rest day.

Thanks!

2004-06-07 4:23 PM
in reply to: #29795

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Training question for tri on Sunday
You really should make sure that you taper, even though you feel like you've missed some needed training. The tapering will enable to give your best performance on Sunday. You won't make any significant gains this week that would be worth what you would lose.

Here's a possible schedule for the week (one of many possibles that you could work with!)

Tuesday: your open water swim -- possibly do the transition to the bike, just so you can have a practice one. you don't necessarily need to ride, just tri making the changes. An evening treadmill run would be fine, BUT keep it pretty short!

Wednesday: do a 10-12 mile bike ride easy, followed by a transitional run (like 1/2 to 1 mile ONLY)

Thursday: Run an easy 30 minutes, perhaps weights

Friday: Easy swim or rest. Don't tax the legs much at this point.

Saturday: 30 minutes of leg exercise, (bike or run) to keep yourself loose, but don't do more!! (o:

YOUR GONNA DO GREAT!!

(o:

Dana
2004-06-07 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey

You are going to do great. Look out for me. I will be the big guy wearing the bt shirt. I don't know if I will volunteer or just watch yet. Good luck.

Kevin

2004-06-07 4:59 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Are you doing the Harriman Race as well? Since you are going to be there I'd recommend doing a short ride after the swim. This way you can practice transition and get a feel for the beginnig of the course. Then I''d do a short run wed, short bike thurs and short short jog on friday. Let me know how cold the water is would ya? Good luck, Mark
2004-06-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: #29840

User image

Expert
Subject: Thanks for the ideas!
I really appreciate the suggestions-I'm trying not to worry and decided to take today off to rest my legs. Tomorrow I'll swim and do the transition (If I can get my bike down), wed I'll do an easy 10-12 mile bike with a 1/2 mile run, thurs short run (maybe 2 miles), friday short bike (maybe 5), and saturday off (I suspect I do better on one days full rest, and my kids are in a track meet so I'll be on my feet all day).

Kevin-I'll look out for you! I'll be the one walking my bike up the "moderate-steep incline" right after the turn around, at the end of the pack!

Mark-I'm doing the Penn Yan Keuka Lake tri upstate, not Harriman-but rest assured my swim will probably be colder than yours!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question for tri on Sunday Rss Feed