In Motion
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 26s
Overall Rank = 801/4294
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 63/415
Pre-race routine:

Saturday morning met up with InsulINdependence team to socialize and attempt surfing. Had fun trying, and had a great teacher, but Pacific = 1, Me = 0. Surfboard to the face and bloody nose ended the fun, but the legs were OK :). Awards dinner Saturday night, won a Tony Hawk skateboard, and gave it to one of the kids that InsulINdependence is mentoring. His smile lit up the room. One of the best moments of the trip. Not a lot of sleep, but race morning took hotel shuttle to race plenty early with no problems. Met up with my two teammates from Dallas. Agreed to run with one of them in the race even though we had never run together.
Event warmup:

None really...but the first mile was slow due to the crowds, so no worries.
Run
  • 1h 58m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was quite a bit slower than Julie and I would have liked. We could only pass so much on the crowded narrow street, and wondered if our 2:00 goal might be sunk at that point. Turns out it was probably for the best to keep us from going out too fast. Worked hard to make up time after that, and then settled in.

I think it was around mile 6 that we caught the 2:00 pacers (who started a wave ahead of us). So we tucked in behind them for the next few miles and were able to coast mentally knowing we were a little ahead of schedule time wise. Slapped hands with a few characters dressed like the blue man group around mile 9ish.

My CGM appeared to be in sync, though I was definitely running high, and bolused a couple of times along the way with encouragement from Julie. So nice to be able to talk those decisions through instead of just in my head. But that meant I didn't have to test, or eat any shot blocks. NICE! Only thing I took in was a few sips of powerade and a little water...probably not enough to be ideal, but the air was cool and damp, and it got me through. Blood sugar at the end of the race had come down to 165, so I got to enjoy a post-race latte. Julie and I joked about coming in under 2:00 and under 200 BG.

It was truly a beautiful thing that Julie and I turned out to be the perfect running partners. She lagged a bit in the early and middle portions, so I led to set us up to have a chance at our goal, and then she really pulled me through the last few miles when I was ready to be DONE. We both felt that we had given it our all, and the day could not have gone better. First time for both of us under 2:00, so big PR's all around!
What would you do differently?:

Start one corral ahead of where we did. When we signed up for the race, neither of us knew we would be targeting 2:00, so put down something slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back to the InsulINdependence tent and visited with a few other team members about their races. Milled around a bit, and then went to wait for the hotel van....which did not come....for a long time. So gave up, and called Kerry to see if he could make it through to come get me. Invited another gal and a couple from our hotel to share the ride and had a nice chat on the way back to the hotel. Closest we've ever come to picking up hitchhikers :).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Possibly starting one corral too far back as mentioned above. Pre race blood sugar routine still needs work. Being 200+ for most of it does not help performance.

Event comments:

Beautiful course, and well done race! Did not seem crowded at all before the race, and the most port-o-johns per capita I've ever seen. The first mile was pretty crowded, so I see why the limit the racers to 10K total. Friendly and plentiful volunteers, and lots of bands out on the course.

Last updated: 2011-08-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/415
Overall: 801/4294
Performance: Good
Overall (per garmin) 8:57 177/187 1 9:44 162/178 2 8:48 174/180 3 8:55 179/186 4 8:43 177/180 5 8:54 180/183 6 8:43 179/183 7 9:04 179/182 8 8:54 179/182 9 9:00 178/180 10 9:01 179/182 11 9:00 182/183 12 8:55 182/185 13 8:50 182/185 .1 8:06 186/187
Course: Beautiful! Mostly out and back along the Pacific Coast Hwy and through part of "downtown" Carlsbad. Surprised it was a bit more hilly than I had thought, but nothing extreme.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-01-25 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: Carlsbad Half Marathon

2012-01-26 1:00 AM
in reply to: #4011140

User image

Chula Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Half Marathon
Congrats on the PR and nice report. Looks like we probably were running pretty close to each other
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlsbad Half Marathon Rss Feed